Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Can I use Home Depot Polyurethane?

I'm thinking of trying to desolve what little remains of the polyurethane coating on an old tent and then salvaging the rip stop for a tarp or maybe hammock cover. If I get off all the old, flakey, yellowed urethane coating, can I just brush on a coat or two of polyurethane from Home Depot?

I was trying to get an answr to this by a google serch and I came across a commercial coating company that said they use two products. One for "smoth surfaces" like wood and nylon, and another for textured surfaces. That leads me to believe that the polyurethane for smooth wood from home depot would work on ripstop nylon as well.

Images
    getting a nice even coat would be the hard part, if you could get the old flaky stuff off (maybe some thinner?) you could just keep it as breathable ripstop and use it for something breathable, and buy some sil to make your waterproof projects with.

Images
    I read a recommedation in Backpacker magazine for two polyurethane products for recoating tent floors - Aquaseal Poly Coat and Kenyon Recoat. Both seem to be water based polyurethane that you brush on. But they are very expensive. I can get some Minwax on sale for 1/5 the price.

I found the minwax website and sent them an inquiry about using their products on ripstop nylon. hopefukky I'll get an answer soon.

Images
    you'll want a very very thin coating

probably have to thin the polyurethane for use on fabric. and realize there are a lot of different formulations of polyurethane. polyurethane by its own name is just a mixture of multiple different urethanes. the particular mixture will determine its properties.

a thinned wood based urethane may get the job done but it will most likely be lacking flexibility and may flake off in a short time.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Is it really worth the hassle. Do you really want to risk gear failing on you in the woods and getting wet?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Is it really worth the hassle. Do you really want to risk gear failing on you in the woods and getting wet?
    Well...I'd test it before taking it out to the woods...or find someone else to try it first...lol

Here is what minwax said (I'm waiting for a reply from Thompson's now):

"No, there's no product in the Minwax line that I can recommend for this type of application. Our products are not tested on this type of surface, and none of them will act as waterproofers.

Thompson's has an aerosol product in their line called Sport Seal, so it might work for what you have in mind. Here's a link:"

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/pr...cfm?prod_id=10
    Last edited by nogods; 12-10-2007 at 14:09.

honestly you'll spend more trying to salvage that old fabric than just getting some dwr ripstop from the walmart bargain bin or from someone else who got it from a bargain bin. maybe even some silnylon

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    honestly you'll spend more trying to salvage that old fabric than just getting some dwr ripstop from the walmart bargain bin or from someone else who got it from a bargain bin. maybe even some silnylon
    you are probably right...but now I'm thinking that if I can recoat it $10 then i can sell it for a lot more and buy some silnylon...besides, there is the fun factor...and the experimentation.

Images
    hey, rather than do that, try using thinned silicone instead. read this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...e+your+own+sil
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-10-2007 at 19:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast