Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    When it is that warm, I only use a poncho liner.

Images
    Right now, my outdoor thermometer reads 104.8. It is is the shade on the north side of the house, but it picks up a lot of reflection from the driveway, apparently. I think the actual temp is 95.

And that is pretty much the forecast for the next several days, with lows in the low 70s. I was planning on sleeping in a Claytor JH on one night and a BMBH on a couple of other nights this weekend, when we will be camping lakeside with our travel trailer. But I am afraid it will just be too hot and humid. Especially since I will need the bugnets, which significantly increases heat and decreases breezes.

I wonder if a single layer like my HH would cool better on the bottom than the double bottom hammocks, or especially more than the Claytor JH(maybe hotter because of it's waterproof bottom layer)?

But then I would have to be sure and spray the bottom of the single layer HH wih Permethrine, or e eaten alive.

I guess the double bottoms keep the mossies from biting through without permethrine? But I fear they make it a few degrees hotter. Anybody know for sure?

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    mid 80's and probably 100% humidity ....
    Any input would be great Thank you.
    I hear you and can remember and feel your pain.

So about 30 yrs ago we packed up, moved 3000 mi to west of the Cascades and now the Olympics and visit the family in May or October.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    I just bought a Clark North American. I set it up yesterday and when I got in I could not ignore how hot I was. Is this a bad hammock for hot weather? Granted, it was mid 80's and probably 100% humidity. But I will be using this thing in these temps and hotter as it will be my permanent shelter.

Now, this is my first hammock experience, so this is all new to me. It seems the narrowness of the hammock greatly contributes to the retention of heat. Has anyone devised a way to keep the sides of the hammock off of the body or is this not possible with the Clark? Also, what should i lay on top of in these hot times? A sleeping bag seems too insulative. A cheap option I am considering is a fleece bag.

Any input would be great and I apologize if this has been answered. Thank you.
    I use a small fan that uses 2 "AA" batteries and will run a long time. Th fan is small and not too heavy and I hang it up on the overhead loop inside. I'm going to get one that's slightly larger with more output and hang it from a line inside my Clark's. I also plan on trying a small solar panel to run it in the day. Doesn't have to be much since these don't require much in the way of power. It helps some, but I'm going to try one that has better CFM and isn't real weighty. all though the trade of in any hot weather hammock camping is well worth it.

The problem is that the mesh is sooooo fine that air doesn't circulate very well, unless it's windy. This is one of the reasons that Clark came out with the Tropical Hammock that has mesh around the head as well.

One other thing that you can do is lay as cross ways in the hammock as possible. This is the same thing that's done in the HH hammocks to spread it out more

I’ll post a pic of the fan I use.

Blessings!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 08-22-2008 at 14:38.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    I use a small fan that uses 2 "AA" batteries and will run a long time. Th fan is small and not too heavy and I hang it up on the overhead loop inside. I'm going to get one that's slightly larger with more output and hang it from a line inside my Clark's. I also plan on trying a small solar panel to run it in the day. Doesn't have to be much since these don't require much in the way of power. It helps some, but I'm going to try one that has better CFM and isn't real weighty. all though the trade of in any hot weather hammock camping is well worth it.

The problem is that the mesh is sooooo fine that air doesn't circulate very well, unless it's windy. This is one of the reasons that Clark came out with the Tropical Hammock that has mesh around the head as well.

One other thing that you can do is lay as cross ways in the hammock as possible. This is the same thing that's done in the HH hammocks to spread it out more

I’ll post a pic of the fan I use.

Blessings!
    I too use a small fan in mine as some others do in other hammocks in fact there are some pictures of some others fans I think cannibal is got some pictures of his or maybe it is headchange4u not sure maybe some one else can find it.

I also pitch the one side of tarp lower and the other higher to capture as much air as I can when it's hot.

leepinggreenlizard is correct about the bug net in fact it also hold heat in the hammock in the winter as well.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    I too use a small fan in mine as some others do in other hammocks in fact there are some pictures of some others fans I think cannibal is got some pictures of his or maybe it is headchange4u not sure maybe some one else can find it.

I also pitch the one side of tarp lower and the other higher to capture as much air as I can when it's hot.

leepinggreenlizard is correct about the bug net in fact it also hold heat in the hammock in the winter as well.
    Good idea to lower the side of the canopy to help capture wind. I usually do it to block wind in cooler weather. Hadn't thought of that one.

And I thought I was the one with the giant brain! LOL!

Blessings!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    could not ignore how hot I was. Is this a bad hammock for hot weather? GrI just bought a Clark North American. I set it up yesterday and when I got in Ianted, it was mid 80's and probably 100% humidity. But I will be using this thing in these temps and hotter as it will be my permanent shelter.
    Greg... when you talk about using a hammock as your permanent shelter, I guess you mean you plan to always use it when you go camping?
    If so, you may want to consider getting a simple, open top hammock for when it's hot.
    Much better air circulation for sure.
    Then the clark will be waiting when the weather turns cold.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    I personally can not stand summer weather. Heat and I do not get along. I usually go camping memorial day weekend and then don't go until late september and into the winter. Give me cold weather camping any day of the week.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer0419 View Post
    I personally can not stand summer weather. Heat and I do not get along. I usually go camping memorial day weekend and then don't go until late september and into the winter. Give me cold weather camping any day of the week.
    Amen. I simply can not sleep at all in the heat.

The Clark NA has features that gear it more towards cooler weather. The tropical seems to be geared a bit more to hotter weather. There's no getting around being uncomfortable when the humidity and temperature are high though. Tents are just as uncomfortable in my experience.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    3 season bag
    ive seen people tie off a cord to a tree, root, ect to use as a puller to keep you swinging so the air is moving until you fall asleep, then the heat doesnt matter lol. just wash the hammock if you get too sweaty.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12