Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN

Hanging in my room help!

hi everyone,

I've been looking around for a while and couldn't find the answers to my questions so I thought i would finally stop creeping and just make an account . I'm currently trying to hang my eno dn in my room (and hopefully a better hammock to replace my bed eventually). the room is kind of small so I can not do a stand.

anyways, the problem is i rent, so my setup would need to be minimal damage that is easy to repair once the hardware is removed. also it need to be hidden when not in use, or very unnoticeable. I'm also not sure how well built the house I am in is.

I'm afraid to just use eye screws because the ones for the right weight are super thick for the side and ceiling posts at 1 3/4" and I don't want it to split. I also want to use the ceiling , not the wall posts, for added support and I'm trying to keep all the weight at the corners.

also the eye screws I looked at today where all rated about 300 pounds and said not to use for human weight? do people just ignore that warning?

if you use an eye bolt how you get the 2x4 its connected to to flush up against the wall?

so far the only idea I have is to make a small corner joint painted the color of the wall with 2 eye hookes or possible 2 hooks that takes 4 screws to mount (like these http://i48.tinypic.com/s115qw.jpg) onto the 2x4 and then screw that into the corner ceiling and posts and use some chain/strong rope to hang the correct height. when its not in use I was going to cover it with some pretty wall hangings.

would these: http://i48.tinypic.com/s115qw.jpg by themselves, 2 on different rafters on each side be enough to hold me? or you think I need the corner joint?

sorry for all the questions, I've done a bit of rigging and building in my time and know how complicated things can get and how heavy dynamic loads are. I just want to do it right!
    thanks!
    Last edited by katniss; 05-05-2012 at 18:30.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Bought GTUL's for the granddaughters and used the 2 hole eye rings from HD with 2-1/4" x3" lag screws in each. Used a stud finder to located the center of the studs for mounting. Before letting her use it I tested with my 210# and no problems.

Welcome aboard from Florida.

Try searching "home", some of the threads for hanging indoors are there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    there was a recent thread that used vertical 2x4's doubled with a top beam of double or triple 2x4 to take the strain. The foot of the posts can probably be anchored to the floor or a floor beam built (not as elegant as it would be a trip point). If you do something like the the wall load is to keep vertical not take all your weight on the hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    thanks for the welcome !
    I've read all the threads i could find and really I guess it boils down to, would this corner brace be safe enough and not cause damage or would i be better off screwing 2 hooks into 2 different joists? I drew a picture of my idea to help. sorry its so crappy, its on a laptop scroll mouse.

at first I wasnt worried and then i saw the cracked wall and the possibility that windows and doors wont close and i got scared!

(in the picture blue is rope, the red are the braces, and the black dots are say 3 inch screws. each piece is like 16 inches long and its connected to be one solid piece)

Last edited by katniss; 05-05-2012 at 21:03. Reason: picture didn't work

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    there was a recent thread that used vertical 2x4's doubled with a top beam of double or triple 2x4 to take the strain. The foot of the posts can probably be anchored to the floor or a floor beam built (not as elegant as it would be a trip point). If you do something like the the wall load is to keep vertical not take all your weight on the hammock.

I thought about that but the problem with that plan is it isn't easily covered by a wall hanging or painting.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I got the porch swing hooks. If they will hold a wooden swing & 2 people they should hold a hammock and one. I painted them the color of the wall too.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I got the porch swing hooks. If they will hold a wooden swing & 2 people they should hold a hammock and one. I painted them the color of the wall too.
    do you think the heavy duty springs that come with the swings would help reduce the load of a hammock?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by katniss View Post
    at first I wasnt worried and then i saw the cracked wall and the possibility that windows and doors wont close and i got scared!
    If the wall is cracked to start with I would avoid putting more stress on the structure. A cracked wall means the building has shifted. It is more common to see in plaster lath construction that drywall, at least in my experience. When we redid the inside of our house last year there were places where the lath just simply fell off the studs. If things have shifted enough to crack the wall noticably I would be very concerned about hidden damage.

That's just my reaction.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    do you think the heavy duty springs that come with the swings would help reduce the load of a hammock?
    Our swings never had springs, just chains.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    I'm currently trying to hang my eno dn in my room (and hopefully a better hammock to replace my bed eventually). the room is kind of small so I can not do a stand.
    how small is the room? i use a stand to hang indoors and the room measures just a hair over 10'. see this thread for how i modified the stand to fit: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32596 post 8 was my solution and post 10 would work if you cut down the length of the cross bar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast