Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Mine is on the ground under me. Been doing that for years with no issues. since it is basically empty, i suppose I could hang it from my suspension, but then it increases the risk of getting wet!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    I should have mentioned that on my hammock's structural ridgeline, I have the stock mesh bag filled with nightly gear (allergy medicine, headlight, hankie, Ipod) and then attach other things like my Fallkniven S1, spare headlight, etc.. directly to the line.
    I will probably get to this point, but with me and my son I always forget something.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I usually just put my pack on a piece of Tyvek underneath the hammock. However, last night in the Delaware Water Gap there was a skunk in my camp so I hung it from a tree limb with a soft shackle.

Skunks don't climb trees, do they?

I'm also known to attach it to my hammock ridgeline via soft shackle. Some people put the pack in their hammock underneath their legs. Doesn't sound very comfy to me.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    Most of the time, at least in the evening, I'll just put the pack down on a small pad just below my hammock so it's within easy reach in case I need something in the middle of the night. I have been known, especially during the day when I'm packing up or unpacking, to hang the pack from a tree using a carabiner or a little cordage. If it looks like it's going to rain I wrap the pack with a garbage sack first so any water running down the trunk doesn't inadvertedly make it inside my pack.

I've seen the gear hammocks on the market for a few years now, but I hang low enough to the ground most of the time that, for me, it would be more of an annoyance than a help. I've been toying around with the idea of making some kind of special web-based tree grabber just for hanging from trees, but I haven't gone so far as to develop the idea into a prototype yet.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    my thoughts are to make something I can slide in front of me or within arms reach. I like not having to get out of my hammock. I am thinking of something I can also attach my shoes to. Maybe either on biners or a pullie system of some sort.
    I run a biner through the pull up loops on the back of my shoes/boots and loop them over the suspension at the foot of my hammock.
    Pack gets hung from a biner hooked to the tree strap if I don't have a gear hammock with me. Occasionally I pack one of the $25 wally specials to sling under my hammock and use that as a gear bunk.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I usually just put my pack on a piece of Tyvek underneath the hammock. However, last night in the Delaware Water Gap there was a skunk in my camp so I hung it from a tree limb with a soft shackle.

Skunks don't climb trees, do they?

I'm also known to attach it to my hammock ridgeline via soft shackle. Some people put the pack in their hammock underneath their legs. Doesn't sound very comfy to me.
    the one thing that helped me this last camp out was I had to put my son in my bias and had plenty of room to put it at his feet. He never even know it was there.

I hang it from my hammock suspension at the tree with small biner. All most always put my pack cover over it. I used to put it under me but in the middle of the night I sometimes roll over and make water - my pack got it only once!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I hang mine from my hammock suspension or just lay it on the ground under my hammock if its not too wet.

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    my thoughts are to make something I can slide in front of me or within arms reach. I like not having to get out of my hammock. I am thinking of something I can also attach my shoes to. Maybe either on biners or a pullie system of some sort.
    I've done this before with a hammock that didn't have a ridge line, so I "added" one, but since it wasn't for the hammock it sat much higher than a standard ridge line. This meant that the bag sat higher than it would with a standard ridge line. It ran on two 'S' biners and would shuttle back and forth. I could keep somethings in the bag, but not much. While I slept it sat in the middle of the line, just above my stomach. It worked out well, the only thing I would change for a hammock like a HH would be to build in some "stoppers" so that as I get in/out so that it doesn't come hurtling at my head...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast