Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks for the photos. This was exactly what I needed Saving me lots of time and frustration

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I guess I don't understand the need for nonconstructive negative posts just to say you think efforts were wasted. If you don't think this setup is useful, then don't use it. When people have something to add, or a suggestions for improvement, or speciffic comments as to what exactly is unnecessary, this forum adds a lot good information. But I don't think there is anything to gain by simply making commnets that it's overkill, overdone, over thought or over-whatever, without any other substance. That's the kind of response that discourages the open sharing of ideas.

I happen to think that buying and adding a plastic linelock when a knot will do the trick (and is just as fast and easy to adjust in this case) may be overdoing it. HYOH and tie your own guylines.
    Geeze man, don't get 'em all up in a bunch I said "Some neat ideas for sure". Just because I prefer something much simpler doesn't make it a "negative post".
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hi Dylan,

The OP described his 'system' and asked for feedback. Some of the responses, mine included, thought that it was over complicated and said so. Straightforward, honest feedback. Where's the negativity in that? Honest opinions can be hard to come by sometimes. Would you prefer it if we hadn't posted at all? (Just like all the other people who thought it was over complicated, but didn't bother responding.)

I agree that posts that discourage the open sharing of ideas are a bad thing. It would be a shame to lose that potential mine of information. Same deal with sharing opinions. Where do you imagine you own post fits in with this philosophy?

I didn't add more 'substance' to my original post because I was sneaking a quick look at the forums whilst I should have been working, (naughty me), but this time I'm on my lunchbreak, so here goes.

If you want to reduce the complexity try this:

Tie the cord to the tarp at one end using whatever knot you fancy - I use a bowline. Tie the cord to the peg at the other end using whatever know you fancy - a version of a tautline hitch will do and is adjustable and reusable. All you need to do now is....oh, wait a minute, you're already finished.

Still no negativity intended in this post. (No plastic linelocks either ).

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziepom View Post
    Sounds like someone has spent a lot of time thinking up a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
    In all honesty, I thought that comment was negative and not constructive, so I tried to very tactfully state such. And since the OP presented this as my idea, I took that to heart a little bit. I think you could have voiced your dislike of the system differently, that's all. Maybe I need to develop thicker skin to hang out around here.

Tie the cord to the tarp at one end using whatever knot you fancy - I use a bowline
    A prussik, it's adjustable and reusable too.

Tie the cord to the peg at the other end using whatever know you fancy - a version of a tautline hitch will do and is adjustable and reusable
    I use a marlin spike hitch.

As best I can tell, it's just different knots with the adjustable part on the other end of the line.

The only other suggestion offered was larksheading the stakes to the free ends of the guylines so you don't lose you stakes. That's a problem that does exist .
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    Geeze man, don't get 'em all up in a bunch I said "Some neat ideas for sure". Just because I prefer something much simpler doesn't make it a "negative post".
    Geeze man, don't get 'em all up in a bunch. My post was deliberately not directed at any one single person's post specifically. Guilty conscience maybe?
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    seems complex for a guyline. check out warbonnet's videos. very simple knot for a stake is demonstrated and it works excellent.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    seems complex for a guyline. check out warbonnet's videos. very simple knot for a stake is demonstrated and it works excellent.
    WB's knots for the stakes are cool. When I was a mason I wrapped mason's line around large stakes using that exact same method. I personally wanted something that didn't require knots after the initial setup.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234