Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    Assuming your experience was at a CO state park, it seems that no such rule exists: http://parks.state.co.us/Reservation...pingRules.aspx. In the future you might consider respectfully asking the ranger to see the rule -- they don't have the authority to make them up on the spur of the moment, although I assume they would be justified to prevent an unsafe act, rule or no rule.
    You linked to the "General Rules" on their website. Those are the most commonly enforced rules, but don't kid yourself about no such rule existing. Here is a little more complete list. Even this is a summary list of rules and regs. Dig deeper into it and you'll find several hundred pages of expanded rules and regs, including one forbidding the attachment of anything to the trees. Wish I had the time and energy to dig it up for you, but not today. The PDF I linked has a section partway down the fourth page under the title "it shall be prohibited", Item 2.

That's the catch-all and the statute I'm talking about can be found under that entry. Basically, yes it is against the State Park rules that nothing may be attached to a tree (among other things). It is strictly and evenly enforced out here. Hit the National Parks and Forests if you want to hang. Unlike the State Parks, they welcome hangers.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Bummer. I was recently camping in WA state. Went to Deception Pass State Park, and Sequim Bay State Park. At both parks the rangers came by to have a look and said that they thought the hammock was pretty cool.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Check this thread out.

I've been wanting to make one just haven't been able to fine the 5/16 coupler nut that I need. LOwes and Home depot seem to be out of them every time I check for them.

But, this setup would be very light and fairly compact to use for car camping.

Somewhere between the ideal of heaven and the reality of hell
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    The best way to avoid being ask/told by Rangers to take down the hammocks is Stealth Hammocking!

I also thought about using strips of CCF between the straps and tree the next time I was in a camp site. This way at least, it looks like I'm taking care of the tree, if a Ranger comes by.

Also, the parks could always build "hanging posts" for hammockers just the platforms for tents. but that might be years from now.
    Last edited by FireFlyburns; 06-11-2010 at 20:00.
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"
    bumper sticker

"You have to grow old, But you don't have to grow up"

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You linked to the "General Rules" on their website. Those are the most commonly enforced rules, but don't kid yourself about no such rule existing. Here is a little more complete list. Even this is a summary list of rules and regs. Dig deeper into it and you'll find several hundred pages of expanded rules and regs, including one forbidding the attachment of anything to the trees. Wish I had the time and energy to dig it up for you, but not today. The PDF I linked has a section partway down the fourth page under the title "it shall be prohibited", Item 2.

That's the catch-all and the statute I'm talking about can be found under that entry. Basically, yes it is against the State Park rules that nothing may be attached to a tree (among other things). It is strictly and evenly enforced out here. Hit the National Parks and Forests if you want to hang. Unlike the State Parks, they welcome hangers.
    Cannibal,

Thanks for the link. The pdf file appears to be a comprehensive list of regulations. Searching it, the only provision I find that might be relevant is:

CHAPTER 1 - PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION LANDS

ARTICLE 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO PARKS AND OUTDOOR RECREATION LANDS AND WATERS

b. It shall be prohibited:

2. To remove, destroy, mutilate, modify or deface any ... tree, shrub or other plant or vegetation ....

That's a far cry from not allowing anything to encircle a tree. It seems to me it boils down to one question: Does a hammock properly hung from a tree with tree huggers or tree straps have a reasonable potential to destroy, mutilate, modify, or deface that tree? If the answer is "yes," the hammock camping community might wish to find an alternative way to hang hammocks from trees.

My straps have never, in my opinion, harmed a tree. If the answer to the above question is "no," perhaps some civil disobedient hanging in Colorado state parks is in order. (Photograph the trees used before and after.) Or, keep staying away from state parks in Colorado.

FarStar

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    10x12 El Cheapo
    Suspension
    Cargo Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    Assuming your experience was at a CO state park, it seems that no such rule exists: http://parks.state.co.us/Reservation...pingRules.aspx. In the future you might consider respectfully asking the ranger to see the rule -- they don't have the authority to make them up on the spur of the moment, although I assume they would be justified to prevent an unsafe act, rule or no rule.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Ranger was likely on a power trip pulling "rules" out of his arse.

One thing I think that they really need to get hot on is the bears marking trees with their claws. Oh, and while they're at it, they should definitely do something about those tree vandal beavers.

Fricken gubmint idiot!
    Last edited by Ozark Mac; 06-12-2010 at 02:54.

Hammock
    trek light double
    Tarp
    6' x 8' etowah
    Insulation
    wiggys
    Suspension
    nylon tublar web
    That ranger didnt know what he was talking about. I live in Colorado too, I hang everywhere( folks look at me like I am nuts putting up a hammock and tarp right before a storm). I have never anyone tell I couldnt, too bad since I have a degree in forresty management. I do know quiet a few forresters and I will see where this ranger was coming from, I figure with just the time I spend in the wild and a degree I ought to be able too talk about this intelligently. Who knows though my backwoods might come out. haha

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Funny how we keep discussing this but the original poster, robanna, hasn't been back (or at least made another post).
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    SwinginRanger, do you camp in the State Park Campgrounds? I'd be surprised that nobody has said anything to you if that's the case. Twice I've tried and twce I've been told to take the hammock down. Maybe just bad luck on my part. I've never had a problem at backcountry sites.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    trek light double
    Tarp
    6' x 8' etowah
    Insulation
    wiggys
    Suspension
    nylon tublar web
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    SwinginRanger, do you camp in the State Park Campgrounds? I'd be surprised that nobody has said anything to you if that's the case. Twice I've tried and twce I've been told to take the hammock down. Maybe just bad luck on my part. I've never had a problem at backcountry sites.
    Sorry Cannibal , been away for a bit just on and off here real quick. So I did not see your post. I have been in a few state parks and recently was in the city park for just a day to relax. I have gotten a few question since I posted. But after a bit of discussion on the subject and some show and tell, was able to convince officials that no harm was being done. Before it was over with had a small crowd on hand. The city of Grand Junction had me come to a council meeting even for more insight on the subject ( to bad they did not know how dumb I really am). All in all I think every thing turned out ok. I will say this though I explained different suspenions in depth so that no confusion would be made as to what could hurt trees after extend period of time and what would be best all around ( I use tree straps). I explained that ropes could possibly hurt in the long run, but that I had never wittnessed any damage.
    It is rare I ever hang on the same trees longer than two day even when in the back country. So seeing damage for prolonged hanging is possible. I did also go into detail on a trees make up, outer, inner bark, and pulp wood. I think this had alot of pull in making me look credible.
    As always good research and casual explaination go along way.
    Victor

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast