Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    I believe I saw an update recently from convert that the paint didn't hold up too well after stuffing and unstuffing the tarp. I think he had some flaking. (of the paint, I can't comment on his personality)
    I did have some flaking and sorry for the long delay. I am recovering from surgery (all is well)

the paint did flake off and left dust in the snake skins. plus the dyvek is not durable at all. If it were me, and it is, I am sticking to silnylon for my rain fly. I do not recommend tyvek for a rain fly.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    I did have some flaking and sorry for the long delay. I am recovering from surgery (all is well)

the paint did flake off and left dust in the snake skins. plus the dyvek is not durable at all. If it were me, and it is, I am sticking to silnylon for my rain fly. I do not recommend tyvek for a rain fly.
    Thanks for the reply and I am glad that your recovery went well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post

Convert, when you say not durable, do you mean the Tyvek tarp leaked? If so, where did you get the leakage?

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Convert, when you say not durable, do you mean the Tyvek tarp leaked? If so, where did you get the leakage?
    According to his video on youtube, He had issues with the tyvek ripping under VERY little pressure.

I have wonder if the paint he used weakened the tyvek. Or if the tyvek breaks down over time. The stuff I have seen seemed stronger. But than I have never really let a piece "age" to see what happens. I was planning on using tyvek when I was not lugging my 12x12 Gear Guide around. But now I have second thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by zugcat View Post
    According to his video on youtube, He had issues with the tyvek ripping under VERY little pressure.

I have wonder if the paint he used weakened the tyvek. Or if the tyvek breaks down over time. The stuff I have seen seemed stronger. But than I have never really let a piece "age" to see what happens. I was planning on using tyvek when I was not lugging my 12x12 Gear Guide around. But now I have second thoughts.
    Here is the long story and my video captured what just happened.

In the past while camping, I have tripped over the guy wires for my tarp as I am sure most of you have done as well... While using nylon tarps, the guy wire pulled against my pressure of tripping and bounced back.

Well the Tyvek, against the little pressure that was applied, ripped along the seam where I sewed in the tabs.

It looked like I created a perforated line in the Tyvek along the edges of the tab and the tear occurred along this fault line of the perforation.

The sewing weakened the tyvek so much that it just tore.

Also in the video, Josh took the Tyvek and tore it where there was no sewing.

So the washing may have weakened or maybe he is just so strong that he could tear it up like a thick plastic.

Either way, based on my experience that day, I will NOT be using Tyvek for anything else.

In fact, if there any of you close to the Atlanta area (Kennesaw) I still have about 20 or 30 feet left on the 9' long roll I need to get rid of.

PM me and maybe we can work something out.

It is FREE I am not wanting to sell it. I got it for free so I will give it away for free as well.

Images
    ive used tyvek for prototypes. works great for that. i made covers for my fishing reels and it works great for a makeshift tarp for a weekend.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the right-up convert. I have heard that tyvek was weaker than nylon but I did not know it was that bad. I wish that I lived in GA, so that I could get the tyvek for the boys in my troop to play around with.

Happy hanging

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I have never sewn tyvek, but how many stitches per inch did you use? I could easily see too many stitches essentially weakening the material like a perferation.
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    My first trials with tarp tie-out designs included different stitching styles, no matter what I did, the stitching created a stress point which allowed tearing. My final test version was using the Tyvek Tape, which gave me excellent result, following those trials I used to make my tarp, still going great. Pics are in my gallery.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon 70D
    Insulation
    EE Prospect
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have been using tyvek for the past 2 1/2-3 years and have not had a problem with ripping or tearing. I washed my tarp twice without soap (soap breaks down the tyvek) in very hot water in the washing machine. I have used this particular tarp exclusively with no problems. It withstood 35-40 mile an hour winds in the BW about 2 1/2 yrs ago and then my oldest son took it on several scout outings and then to BW again earlier this year. For the tie-outs I use rocks in the corner and tie a slip-knot around it ( I know there is a name for it).

IMHO Tyvek is the way to go especially on a budget.

DBasi

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast