Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I made an UQ with the top layer (the one against the hammock) out of sil and the bottom layer made out of 1.1 w/ DWR. It works just as I hoped. I have heard that the sil would feel clammy, but I haven't noticed it at all. I do think it works well as a wind break. My only fear with both shells being sil is if it got wet i wouldn't be able to dry it in the field. I also imagine that if it was all sil it may prevent some loft since air will struggle to get in. How warm is summer in Cali anyhow and what are you using for insulation?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    yeah, i never had any condensation/wetness at all, and i used it in several different weather situations. mine was synthetic and you could open it at one end and flip inside out to expose the raw insulation for field drying. i might have to mess with the idea again at some point because it did seem to work well. would be good for a winter uq, when the vb would be most useful. although the vb alone might be just enough in summer (some places)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I made an UQ with the top layer (the one against the hammock) out of sil and the bottom layer made out of 1.1 w/ DWR.
    Yeah, but you do lots of strange things, Dutch.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    My idea is to sew an outer layer of silnylon to in inner layer of mylar. however I'm not getting my hopes up the one could actually "sew" something to mylar, but you can heat seal it or glue it. Reguardless, I'm not worried about the durability of both fabrics as there will be nothing but the hammock touching it, and little tension. The sil would merely be a supporting fabric to absorb tension on the mylar. All said and done the quilt would be supper light with maximum heat return. Sewing will be the biggest hurdle though. As both fabrics are water resistant, I wouldn't think condesation would be an issue. What do you guys think?

Warbonnetguy, where do you get your shock-cord and toggles from? I want to use shock cord to attach the quilt, that's if I can actually get it to work.

Summers in Cali are hot: 104* right now in Sacramento, but it can be as much as 30* cooler at around 7000 - 9000'.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I made an UQ with the top layer (the one against the hammock) out of sil and the bottom layer made out of 1.1 w/ DWR. It works just as I hoped. I have heard that the sil would feel clammy, but I haven't noticed it at all....
    Yeah, but you do lots of strange things, Dutch.
    yeah but he was just copying me again <grin>.

I have both a winter UQ and a summer UQ made with non-breathable inner layer. The winter one is sil and the summer one is cuben (it's fun to see the down inside )

I've slept in the summer one at temps near 55, did not feel clammy. Vapor rises you know...

Grizz

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yeah but he was just copying me again <grin>.

I have both a winter UQ and a summer UQ made with non-breathable inner layer. The winter one is sil and the summer one is cuben (it's fun to see the down inside )

I've slept in the summer one at temps near 55, did not feel clammy. Vapor rises you know...

Grizz
    See fin the strangest things i do are just trying to emulate Griz
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down &amp; IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    My winter uq is non-breathable sil on the outside, down inside & breathable sil on the side that goes against the bottom of my hammock. It's to hot to do any testing with this uq now, will post about this one when the weather gets cold.
    My summer uq is non-breathable sil on both the outside and the side that goes against the bottom of my hammock w/very thin climashield insulation inside. I've used it on every hang I've done since spring to now. Through heavy rain, very high humidity, HOT, HOT, HOT temps. No problems what so ever. The silnylon repeled bottom splash rain, didn't even notice the high humidity and when really hot, I either loosened it or disconnected one whole side and just slipped it to the other side so I could cool down. When I made this uq, I used an old sheet that I attached to the bottom of my hammock. Then with pins, I put darts all around the sheet to custom fit it to my hammock. Then took this "pattern" and cut the silnylon to fit my hammock. Did the climashield the same way and sewed it all together. All the darts sewn into the silnylon make tiny pin holes that I left unsealed. This then allows air to escape or in otherwords, makes the silnylon not quite waterproof anymore. There are quite a few darts. I can also tighten this closer to my hammock or real loose, depending on what the night time temps are supposed to be. I've never had any problems with back sweats.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah I plan on using an old sheet to make a template of my hammock as well. Good to see my "crazy idea" isn't so crazy and has actually been done and worked. Good job. I guess great minds do think alike. Look forward to your winter report, though it's hard to imagine anything cold as temps right now are 106*
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Tina, Have been toying with making an underquilt similar to what you listed. Do you know what the final weight of it is? And what is the coldest temp you have used it at ?
    Thanks, Neumann

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down &amp; IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    Tina, Have been toying with making an underquilt similar to what you listed. Do you know what the final weight of it is? And what is the coldest temp you have used it at ?
    Thanks, Neumann
    Final Weight: 12.7 oz (I borrowed a scale)
    That includes about 30 foot of cord (3/32" in hot pink) & 2 cord locks
    Coldest temps was close to 40 degrees (or right at) It may go colder but my over summer quilt wont. If temps are forcast for lower than that, I'll be testing my other uq's.

I was able to buy everything at http://www.owfinc.com/
    outer layer, purple seconds silnylon coated
    layer against hammock, hot pink seconds silnylon coated
    climashield, 60" wide, 2oz 1/4-1/2" loft
    cord, listed under hardware, then soft hardware, draw cord, nylon round

I wasn't worried about the nylon cord stretching as there isn't much weight on it. I've got cord going down both sides with a cord lock in the middle so I can tighten up the quilt if needed. Then there's an insane amount of cord at each end to tie the ends of the quilt to the ends of my hammock. I also put little tabs on the sides to match the tabs that are already on my hammock. (ones on hammock are ment to stake it out on the ground if for some unforseen unlucky chance finds me out in the woods without any actuall woods to hang from) On my hammock I keep the smallest size niteize binners on these tabs and use them to secure my under quilt to on the sides. Not really needed on warmer nights but comes in handy on a coldish, like from 40 to 55 degree night.
    This weight climashield was easy to work with too. I've made another with the heavyer, thicker climashield and even though it was easy to make that quilt too, the final weight of the thing only makes it good for "car camping".
    One more note: ClumseyBear and I went on a kayak trip last week. She was in a Speer hammock with a military poncho liner as her under quilt and some kind of a blanket. I was in my clark w/the summer uq and a silk sleeping bag liner. By closing my weathershield I slept warm. ClumseyBear said she slept cold with her set up. I don't know what the temps were. We were on the edge of the Cape Fear River with day time temps around 95ish. There was a mist on the water when we got up. Usual temps for our area at night are 65 to 70.
    I've been real pleased by the performance of this uq. It's light weight and it has a wide range of temps that by adjusting how I fit it to my hammock, I stay warm (not overly hot or chilled). When I made my down winter uq, I ordered enough down to also make a summer down uq. So far, I just haven't seen a need to though. The summers around where I camp tend to be either humid or rainy or both and the climashield/silnylon combination is working out very well for those types of conditions.
    hopefully I've not bored you to death with my rambling
    TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast