Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamRuns View Post
    Checked my local Ace today and the biggest they had was 1-1/8. Walmart had 1-1/4 and Lowes had 1-1/8. I may have to wait till I can hit the city and a home depot
    Crutch and cane tips are a possibility too I guess...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Another stand.

Had made one previously, but didn't like the way the ridge pole and hammock connected to the tee pees. Went to the local hardware store to investigate options. Ended up using two eye bolts per side; one top and bottom. Connected inside the ridge pole using a 3/8" coupling nut.

The hardware:

With eye bolts connects to ridge pole:

Attached and ready:

Testing:

BTW: The zinc coated steel eye bolts I'm using are each rated for 225lbs.
    Bruce
    Last edited by bdaabat; 06-16-2013 at 22:21.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    interesting... I'm the weird case, but I don't like using the eyebolts in the poles. Seems to hamper the ability to be interchangeable and to travel simply. I connect my pole using a prusik knot of zing-it onto quick links. However, I meet trouble attaching the hammock and getting in. It wants to slide on the top rail. I was using a galvanized steel pipe and wasn't having this trouble, but now that I've switched to the chain link top rail, it wants to slide. I tried the inner tube rubber as suggested in the turtle lady stand, but had no luck there either. I've gotta figure this one out. May have to bite the bullet and use the eyebolts.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    You could do something like Samsara did:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...7&postcount=25

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    @ hppyfngy: Dop! Wish I'd seen that picture and post!

Bruce

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    You could do something like Samsara did:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...7&postcount=25

That looks like a viable option! Are those cheap biners?

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Eek! :@

Careful with those non rated biners loaded like they would be on the tip of the opening. You may want to take two loops closer together than the two most distant. This would allow for swivelling of the accessory and more proper loading. Subbing in a couple of rated biners would be good insurance too.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Re: The TurtleDog stand

Quote Originally Posted by TrailH4x View Post
    Careful with those non rated biners loaded like they would be on the tip of the opening. You may want to take two loops closer together than the two most distant. This would allow for swivelling of the accessory and more proper loading. Subbing in a couple of rated biners would be good insurance too.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used that image as any more than an idea. Definitely use rated biners.
    And I believe samsara ended up just attaching through the outermost loop of the prusik. (Meaning the one to the left in that picture)

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Thanks! Poles came from my local Army Surplus store (Strickland's Surplus in Wilmington, NC. ) The 4' sections were $4 each. Also sold in bags of 12 (I think) at a lower price per each plus you get the carrying bag.
    It took me two days to get through this thread but I did it! I was looking into following Alamosa's design, but a trip to Lowe's last night scared me away because of the $$$. I was closing in on $100 with metal & rope...

I plan on taking my hammock with me in my new purchased tent camper that I pick up tomorrow. Alot of the sites lately have been treeless, or not suitable for a hammock at the very least.

I wanted something lightweight and somewhat portable. The turtledog seems pretty good, just wish I could do without a chain link ridgepole. I like PappyAmos' fiberglass ridgepole and I have a few questions regarding it.

Firstly, is this still being used? Any issues or concerns with it? I'm looking to hang with my girlfriend bringing us in on the 300lb total mark. Think fiberglass will be sufficent? I LOVE how the sections break down, and fit back together. A bit costly...but should also be lighter.

I found these...are they the same thing that was used? If I go to an Army Navy Surplus...do I just ask for fiberglass Ham Antenna poles?

Additionally, I do end up at some sites with one tree. Has anyone fashioned a way to use ONE stand and a tree? I think this would be impossible because of the ridge pole...but you never know.

Once I pick up the camper tomorrow, I will measure out my storage trunk so that I know my max wood length and then I'll get building!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Archy88 View Post

I wanted something lightweight and somewhat portable. The turtledog seems pretty good, just wish I could do without a chain link ridgepole. I like PappyAmos' fiberglass ridgepole and I have a few questions regarding it.

Firstly, is this still being used? Any issues or concerns with it? I'm looking to hang with my girlfriend bringing us in on the 300lb total mark. Think fiberglass will be sufficent? I LOVE how the sections break down, and fit back together. A bit costly...but should also be lighter.

I found these...are they the same thing that was used? If I go to an Army Navy Surplus...do I just ask for fiberglass Ham Antenna poles?

Additionally, I do end up at some sites with one tree. Has anyone fashioned a way to use ONE stand and a tree? I think this would be impossible because of the ridge pole...but you never know.

Once I pick up the camper tomorrow, I will measure out my storage trunk so that I know my max wood length and then I'll get building!
    Yes, I am still using the fiberglass poles with my stands. Note the dowel, etc. inserted 2" into the ends for extra strength. Have spent 4 nights on the stands now and am off to another event tomorrow where I may use them again. Now that I have the rigging set, I expect to be able to put the stands / pole / hammock / tarp up in about 10 minutes. I was about 220 lbs. the last time I used the stands and there was no creaking, groaning or flexing when I got in an our of the hammock. It was solid as a rock. You will have to tell us how they do with two of you - ~ 300 lbs - Sleeping, right? At that weight, I would be paying attention to the ratings of the metal hardware, ropes and any other suspension materials. Without trying to be a smart @$$ two people will mean a wider weight base. With the narrow footprint of the stands, I wonder. Perhaps Hppyfngy or one of the other wizards can comment here.

I find my narrower Hppyfngy style stands are far more stable with a guy rope staked on each side of the stand. I also have limiter ropes about half way down - Additional insurance that the legs will not spread wider than intended. One the legs are fully extended and the guy ropes are tightened, the stand isn't going anywhere. Also stands up pretty well to some wind.

The poles in your linked site appear to be the same ones - about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 4' long. Our surplus store sold them individually for around $4 each, if I remember right. Look at the description on your linked site - it mentions their original military use.

As far as 1 stand and a tree goes. The pole has to be there and you must hang from the exact point the pole is supported from on both ends. That will be difficult using a tree on one end. I am uncomfortable with that idea although it is possible.

Good Luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 148 of 320 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast