Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hello from W. MA

Sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I have been lurking around this forum since May (minus June) trying to learn as much as I can about hanging and am very impressed how civil/friendly everyone is. I am indebted to Medicine Man for showing me how to get started.

I am new to hammocking. I met Medicine Man last May shuttling him as he hike the AT thru MA. As a ground dweller never having been in hammock since I was a kid (57 now), Medicine Man insisted that I try out his hammock. We set it up one evening in a rest area and it was soooo comfortable it got me thinking. I was leaving the end of May to hike the AT for 5 weeks starting at Mt. Katahdin. Medicine Man offered (insisted?) that I borrow his WBBB to take on my hike. I was very reluctant because trying a new system with little chance of re-outfitting with my tent but took him up on his offer. I contacted Brandon at Warbonnet and he rushed me out a top quilt. I ended up making it as far south as Franconia Notch, NH, 373 miles and stayed in the Hammock 25 nights in all kinds of weather except snow (can't camp above timberline on Mt. Washington and missed the snow by a day). The experience has me off the ground and hanging.

M. Bird
    a.k.a. Peter

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Wow, That is a great introduction to the forums. I can not think of a better way to get your feet wet with a hammock than to have MM show you the ropes so to speak. Then to spend 25 days on the AT hannging is really fine first experience.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Peter.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Welcome to the forum! Quite an introduction.Let me get this straight, you were MM's trail angel, then he became your trail, er...hammock angel.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    MM is pretty passionate about hammocks and as he put it he's a "bit of gear nut". I trusted his passion and that is what ultimately convinced me to carry a hammock. I am not sure I would have enjoyed myself even half as much as I did if I was a ground dweller = not one moment I was not happy - the weather was miserable at times but the clatter of rain drops on the tarp lulled me to sleep and when the wind blew and the trees swayed, it was so nice. I did not meet a lot of other hikers because it was so early in the season, but the ones I met who camped with me were blown away by the advantages of MM's hammock system like " one guy says to his buddy "hey take a look at these cool little tension thingies on this tarp" or I said to them " you guys look pretty miserable over there packing up in the rain, why don't you pack up under this tarp before I take it down". The best was the "you know were gonna have to kill you if you keep sittin in that lounge chair cookin your dinner" this was during a downpour. I felt so relieved knowing that at the end of a long day hiking, all I had to do to get to a campsite was to find two trees a reasonable distance apart - not to worry about slope, rocks, roots or even too much about drainage, just LNT. This opens up a lot of options. I refused to stay in shelters and preferred not to stay near them. My biggest concern was - what if I damage this thing, how can I make it up to him. Fortunately his hammock came through fine. Now I have MM to thank because not only can I get a good nights sleep on the trail (and at home) but look at the weight savings I have because now I can hike with a much lighter wallet - can't wait until Brandon gets back. Really enjoy this forum. Thanks for the welcome.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I'm from western MA, near Athol/Orange, and you live in a gorgeous area. I now must reside in Illinois., but NH and MA is the prettiest, loveliest place in all USA. Hope you have tried Tully Lake and the hike to Doane's Falls and Long Pond and Spirit Falls, original poster. Great for stealth hammock camping.

Thanks for sharing your initiation to hammocking. CK1

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I now see that you are in W. Stockbridge. Very fine, indeed. Norman Rockwell ever paint a fellow in a hammock, I wonder? Live large, friend.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I have been lurking around this forum since May (minus June) trying to learn as much as I can about hanging and am very impressed how civil/friendly everyone is. I am indebted to Medicine Man for showing me how to get started.

I am new to hammocking. I met Medicine Man last May shuttling him as he hike the AT thru MA. As a ground dweller never having been in hammock since I was a kid (57 now), Medicine Man insisted that I try out his hammock. We set it up one evening in a rest area and it was soooo comfortable it got me thinking. I was leaving the end of May to hike the AT for 5 weeks starting at Mt. Katahdin. Medicine Man offered (insisted?) that I borrow his WBBB to take on my hike. I was very reluctant because trying a new system with little chance of re-outfitting with my tent but took him up on his offer. I contacted Brandon at Warbonnet and he rushed me out a top quilt. I ended up making it as far south as Franconia Notch, NH, 373 miles and stayed in the Hammock 25 nights in all kinds of weather except snow (can't camp above timberline on Mt. Washington and missed the snow by a day). The experience has me off the ground and hanging.

M. Bird
    a.k.a. Peter
    ====>GREAT introduction, both to hammocking, AND the Forums! Yep! You lucked into an avid, and knowledgeable hanger, and the inevitable happened. You got hooked!

I am also in Mass, near Boston, and several of us just had a nice 'hang' in Vermont - not too far from you! We will be planning a couple more, and maybe a big one back in VT in the Fall (for the colors). Keep an eye on the trip planning threads!

WELCOME to hanging, and the Forums! Hope to hang with ya someday!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

• + New Posts