WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Slick Tenkara pole line holder idea

The past year Judy, Matt, and I did quite a bit of Tenkara fishing (Bought here ) and really enjoyed it. One challenge we noticed was it is difficult to deal with the line when collapsing the rod to move through brush or even put it away. Recently I came across a video from Jason Klass with a unique idea and thought I would share it with you fellow Tenkara junkies.

Enjoy!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    To get rid of any line twists that you may encounter from doing what the video showed you, just take the fly or bait off the line, place all the line in the stream or swift water for a few minutes, and let all the line out. The current of the water will remove all line twists you encounter after 5 or so minutes.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Ha! One of my poor young redneck mono filament fishing line tricks (100 years ago it seems) was to trail the line behind a boat and stretch out all the memory coils. Why replace the line every year?

Helped that my uncle owned a Marina and for the price of cleaning a few rentals the use of one was allowed. Got a BUNCH of unexpected finds cleaning boats...including a beautiful 50s/60s vintage Sila Flex 4 piece rod with a D.A.M. Quick reel that I still own (unclaimed and my dibs). We never bought tackle or bait just line about every other year.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The line keepers can be handy at times but a couple words of cautuion with them. The keeper tabs can easily flip down leaving your line in a heap, take it slow unwinding it as if it gets crossed over it self it will easily tangle. Second watch carefully as you hike and try not to snag the line on anything as it could pull out the tip of the rod just enough to snap off the end of the rod. All that being said I have the keepers on most of my rods though I believe Jason no longer uses them

For getting the memory out of level line the quickest option is to give it a quick stretch by hand. Some level lines are worse than others about the memory....the ones that hold worse also seems to be softer and softer translates to smoother casts. I've been fishing a lot with level lines lately. Looking at a new one from Japan that I hope to carry this year.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    The keeper tabs can easily flip down leaving your line in a heap, take it slow unwinding it as if it gets crossed over it self it will easily tangle. Second watch carefully as you hike and try not to snag the line on anything as it could pull out the tip of the rod just enough to snap off the end of the rod.

I've been fishing a lot with level lines lately. Looking at a new one from Japan that I hope to carry this year.
    Would a dab of Super Glue to keep the tabs from flipping down so easily or do they rotate on the O ring? Once the pole is collapsed and the line wound I'll probably just use the end plug anyway...it lives in my pocket when off the pole. Good heads up all around Paul, thanks.

BTW what is the difference between "Level Line" and regular Fluorocarbon? Also you were experimenting with line longer than the pole, how did that work out for you and what extra lengths seemed best?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    My mouth is watering for spring to get here. I want to use that SWEET Tenkara setup I got from pgibson. I also just figured out what the little hooks on my rod are for... thanks for the video haha. Also I just discovered the TenkaraTalk website from that video... holy crap the missing link! Now I wanna go fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

P.S. Perhaps we change it to "Happy Hookin'"??
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Would a dab of Super Glue to keep the tabs from flipping down so easily or do they rotate on the O ring?
    They do hinge on the O-ring, so they flip up and down pretty easy.

Once the pole is collapsed and the line wound I'll probably just use the end plug anyway...it lives in my pocket when off the pole. Good heads up all around Paul, thanks.
    Just be sure to push the tip of the rod in fully, give a slight bit of slack in the line then put the cap on, then wind the line. I have done this some times and it holds pretty well that way but some rods/Caps don't fit as well as others.

BTW what is the difference between "Level Line" and regular Fluorocarbon? Also you were experimenting with line longer than the pole, how did that work out for you and what extra lengths seemed best?
    Level line is often Floro though it can be a line made from monofilament or another type of fishing line. That is apposed to the furled lines that taper over their length to help them turn over easier. The level lines I have been fishing with and that we have at T-F are Floro, it casts better overall than mono in most folks opinion and is the normal material for level lines in Japan.

Length wise it depends a good bit on the rod how long of a line they will cast as well as matching your cast speed to the rod and line combo. Recently I have been fishing level lines out to about 16-17 feet plus about 4-5 feet of tippett. That is a pretty long line overall but for the water I have been fishing it works pretty well. It takes a lot of practice to comtrol that much line....90% being to control the speed ofmthe cast...very slow smoth fluid motion being the trick. In a lot of places that would be a total nightmare to cast and I fish as short as about 8 feet of line if the situation dictates.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast View Post
    My mouth is watering for spring to get here. I want to use that SWEET Tenkara setup I got from pgibson. I also just figured out what the little hooks on my rod are for... thanks for the video haha. Also I just discovered the TenkaraTalk website from that video... holy crap the missing link! Now I wanna go fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

P.S. Perhaps we change it to "Happy Hookin'"??
    Ben don't wait! Winter is a great time to fish. I have been getting out almost every week...to every other week to my closest river for the past couple months. The fishing is getting better and better each trip. Bigger and usually more fish with the colder and colder weather. Most folks fish in the warm months and the fish can get weary of the same old fly, but with the cold set in they see fewer people trying to catch them and hunger drives them to be aggressive. Find a decent sized river and bundle up. Bugs are hatching pretty much year round, pick a sunny day and fish wet flys during the cold of the morning, if you see bugs coming off the water as it warms up and you start to see fish rising switch to a small dry fly and enjoy the fun.

I'm more than happy to help with any questions on the gear. Call, Skype, email or pm me any time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Ben don't wait! Winter is a great time to fish. I have been getting out almost every week...to every other week to my closest river for the past couple months. The fishing is getting better and better each trip. Bigger and usually more fish with the colder and colder weather. Most folks fish in the warm months and the fish can get weary of the same old fly, but with the cold set in they see fewer people trying to catch them and hunger drives them to be aggressive. Find a decent sized river and bundle up. Bugs are hatching pretty much year round, pick a sunny day and fish wet flys during the cold of the morning, if you see bugs coming off the water as it warms up and you start to see fish rising switch to a small dry fly and enjoy the fun.

I'm more than happy to help with any questions on the gear. Call, Skype, email or pm me any time.
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick tip. I need to just get out there and get a feel for it... I was raising deep sea fishing (drop line, and crack a beer) and lake fishing with minnows (same as deep sea fishing with bobbers) . I need to find some places to fish local to this area without going to the mountains.
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    So the three sets (6 packs, 1 ea) finally came in and I played at them. The tip of wedging your leader into the O ring did not work for me with the furled line as the line covers them. I just gently place the hook into the handle. These also don't fit real well for me on anything other than the 10' AHE Tenkara. That's OK because the 10'er is my brush popping rig where they will be needed most.

Care will need to be taken with them as they will pop down if bumped but no more work than moving with an extended pole in the brush while fighting the line.

• + New Posts