Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    Could someone help me off of this soap box?
    Tis of your own building.

I suppose I could be the Pastor of said Church of the Underquilt...if it weren't for my abundantly sinful ways and failure to worship only one Underquilt. I don't find pads comfortable at all. I spent the first many months of hammock camping using them and tried the spectrum from cheap to used car price (really cheap used car). They were OK, until I tried an underquilt. After that, I had zero reason to look back.

But in the end, it is what you described; what the sleeper prefers. I don't fault folks for using pads if they like them as much, or better than an underquilt. I do think folks should try both and make the determination on actual experience, but if pads are how you roll then roll on.

I have a number of items in my life that have "shortcomings", but I like their strengths enough to overcome dealing with those shortcomings. So I understand what you mean about overcoming pads' issues. Some of us, myself very much included, are simply too lazy to deal with shortcomings when it comes to sleep. They must be removed from the equation and the best way (currently) to do that is with an underquilt IMO.

Then again, an underquilt comes with a significant shortcoming for some people. Those that want to go to ground on occasion are terribly served by an underquilt because it has no functionality whatsoever for such activites (misguided as they may be ). So if we measure by that, the pads win. Pads at least work across the board; underquilts are terribly specific.

Good thing I like the ground as much as pads.
    Trust nobody!

I'm saying about what Cannibal said, in that pads aren't so bad, UQ"s are just so much better, and a qualifier, for most hangers.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad & UQ
    Suspension
    JRB nylon straps
    I started using a Thermarest pad with a chair kit still on the pad. When I use it in the hammock I leave the side bars in which, I think, keeps it from moving around. I did use a UQ this last trip ( leighlo) with the pad. Low 30s with a strong wind and I was plenty warm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    There certainly are a lot of people here that give pads a bad rap. Though in this thread the typical arguments have been presented better.

Why do I believe the Church of the Underquilt (CotUQ) parishioners constantly come into the pad forums extolling the superiority of the UQ?

I would like to point outside of the realm of hammocks to other consumer products, such as audio products from Bose and Beats and/or Dyson vacuums. "It is worth a 10X investment" has to be argued loudly and frequently or one might feel they invested frivolously / got duped. If one spends $250 - $300 for bottom insulation as compared to the $20 - $30 that we lowly pad sleepers paid for ours, we simply cannot be as comfortable. To me these arguments are akin to one arguing the booze in the hotel room minibar is worth the markup.

I want to stress that these are my opinions, and I am a noob. I've been on the forum for a bit over a year, and have one season hanging under my belt. I've been down to the mid 30's in my hammock. I have slept on both and personally would rather spend my laundered outdoor gear funds elsewhere. I replaced my aging Kelty backpack with an Osprey Xenith pack last week. There are certainly great backpacks that can be had for a lot less money: I probably could have bought a perfectly good backpack and an underquilt for the price of this pack. I won't go onto an external frame backpack forum and extoll theirs simply can't be as comfortable as they lack the Bioform hipbelt, LightWire frame, and Airscape backpanel.

I use the 1/4" GG CCF pad in my Double layer hammock - for me this solves almost all the "issues" that the CoTUQ parishioners incessantly point out.

"I move around a lot and the pad slides out". - Pad in a DL hammock does not slide out. As another poster commented, "The complaints about the pad moving around are hammock issues, not pad issues". Triangles fix UQ sag, and it would be ridiculous for me to post in the UQ forum about their inferiority because of sag drafts. It is equally ridiculous to talk about pad slip - it can be resolved and easily.

"CCF pads are Sticky and uncomfortable to lay on" - DL hammock solves that, you are on the hammock, not the pad.

"My shoulders get cold / I shift diagonals and would have to re-orientate the pad." The GG pad is 39" wide, I can shift diagonals easily. There are many other cottage industry and home made solutions to get a wide mat that allows for shifting and/or shoulder insulation.

"An underquilt is like sleeping on a soft fluffly cloud." Unless I used it wrong, the underquilt is kept under the hammock. The loft of an UQ cannot cushion the hammock above it, less its insulation be compressed. There is no extra softness provided by an underquilt because your weight is on the hammock with both UQs and pads. A thin 1/4" pad allows the hammock to conform to your body like a fuzzy fluffy cloud just as well as an UQ.

"Condensation" - Neatsheet..

"Bulk" - my thin CCF pad folded in half is less than 20" wide, and still rolls up small enough to easily attach to the pad straps on my backpack. It also fits inside my pack around the interior perimeter if, for some reason I don't want it attached on the outside.

UQs and Pads are both fine methods to insulate your hammock. If you use a pad properly, you should be able to overcome the "shortcomings". At the same time, many prefer an underquilt. In my opinion neither is superior.

Could someone help me off of this soap box?
    -Matt-
    What's a "GG" pad? (CCF closed cell foam I got. . .)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    What's a "GG" pad? (CCF closed cell foam I got. . .)
    Gossamer Gear
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

Question

Mattblink mentioned "condensation"- Neatsheet...in his quoted post above.

What is a Neatsheet????

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    What is a Neatsheet????
    Semi-breathable fabric. Makes a nice wind shield for a hammock.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    thank you Cannibal

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Neat Sheets are all old-school, so kind of up my alley.
    You're welcome.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    I guess I have a different take... I took a Uber light Thermarest waffle pad and cut it at the 2/3 point and put the larger half in the larger pack, the smaller piece ended up as a stiffener for the day pack as a sit down square...I suffer from (noassatall) The pads are great with high winds spring and fall.. and lighter than a 1 pound underquilt.... so if the weather is 40 degrees and 3000 f altitude... 50 mph winds... I take the quilt.. otherwise the pad is there if the night is too cool.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast