WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

tarp construction question

Hey guys, Im making a tarp and had a question about the center/ridgeline seam. What are some options as far as what seam to use? What do you recommend?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Most use a flat felled seam.
    Also, sew the ridgeline seam FIRST! I learned this lesson the hard way
    Last edited by MAD777; 12-23-2012 at 06:41.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Most use a flat felled seam.
    Also, sew the ridgeline seam FIRST! I learned this lesson the hard way
    What lessons did you learn?

I'm really curious because as an experienced user of a 'thread injector' I would plan on doing all the fine work of putting on side pullouts, hemming the sides and ends BEFORE putting together the big seam.

It's kinda like putting together a pair of pants, you sew the pockets in place, the zipper goes in before you sew the long seams!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    What lessons did you learn?

I'm really curious because as an experienced user of a 'thread injector' I would plan on doing all the fine work of putting on side pullouts, hemming the sides and ends BEFORE putting together the big seam.

It's kinda like putting together a pair of pants, you sew the pockets in place, the zipper goes in before you sew the long seams!
    If you sew the ridgeline after, one side will not be the same dimension as the other. Thats because of the way a flat felled seam is done. I am not an expert, but it was much easier after I sewed the two pieces of fabric together.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    If you sew the ridgeline after, one side will not be the same dimension as the other. Thats because of the way a flat felled seam is done. I am not an expert, but it was much easier after I sewed the two pieces of fabric together.
    Actually, a felled seam offsets the ridgeline to one side of the seam no matter when you do it since the first line of sewing is the actual seam. The rest is there to hide the rough edges of the fabric and to strengthen the seam by another two lines of stitching.

Now, getting two pieces of 10 to 12' of slippery fabric to end up the same length at the end of sewing it together is the actual trick no matter how experienced you are.

One of the tricks to that is to leave the hemming of both ends to the end but to do the bottom edges and tie out stuff before you join the two panels. That way if you get the ridgeline seam a little off you can always adjust the end.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Plus one on sewing the ridgeline first. Unless you are trying to make a winter tarp instead of the hex tarp.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I haven't seen, so I can't be certain, but doesn't Brandon at Warbonnet use a French Seam so that seam sealing is necessary? Or did I just imagine someone saying that?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Actually, a felled seam offsets the ridgeline to one side of the seam no matter when you do it since the first line of sewing is the actual seam.
    If you match the edges first, then sew the first line, THEN cut the top edge to provide the area to fold over the bottom edge, you will get an offset ridgeline.

But...

...if you offset the top edge by 1/4 - 1/2 inch (depends on your fold) BEFORE you sew your first line, sew that line, THEN fold the bottom over for your final line, you will get an even ridgeline to both sides of the tarp. It seems weird but it works. I just finished mine a few days ago and the dimensions were exact.

To the OP, another option is...
    To make sure no problems at the ridgeline, I'm making a tarp by cutting one side in half, lengthwise. Then sewing the half parts to the uncut piece.
    This makes two seams, but if there is a failure it is not above me, but halfway down the tarp, yikes.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm not familiar with the french seam-------what is it and what are the advantages? Disadvantages?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

i was worried about an "under tarp ridge line" chaffing the mat'l so i over lapped both sides,by about 1.5>2" and had a seam on each side of the ridge line. that way no seam is on top, but it's double thickness where there are higher stresses. i have since moved away from the under tarp line to end pulls, still wil the extra mat'l there i feel comfortable pitching it as taut as i feel like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast