DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Biales View Post
    Hello,

Sorry for necroposting, but i'd like to ask a question to dblhmmck regarding his double bridge hammock, but i think other people might also be able to answer.

Why using three trees ? Since you're already using spreader bars at both ends, i guess it's not for structural reasons. Is it for stability ? How does this hammock behave when only one person lays on one side ? What about a hammock with only two anchor points ? Would it be necessary to hop in it and get off it at the same time as your partner ?

I went hammock camping for two weeks with my girlfriend and we really miss sleeping together, so this is what i'm planning to make, and i'm wondering if it is possible or a total aburdity (don't laugh at my MSPaint skills) :

[Edit:] Oops, sorry, i read the entire first post and had my question answered.
    Still, can the central rope be adjustable as i planned ? Or is it another absurdity ?

Maybe with an adjustable central rope, one can warn the other he or she's getting off the hammock, loose the central rope and let the other person rest in the middle of the hammock, effectively avoiding tilting while still using two trees ?
    We are both about the same weight.
    I would be worried that the center ridge-line would cause the spreader bar to bend/fail in the middle of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Getting in and out will be very tricky.
    Maybe if i can make the center line adjustable i could change sacks configuration : switching from 2 sacks to one, then letting one people out while the other carefully tries to regain balance in what has become a single bridge hammock ?

Also you have to think about hang distance.
    Thanks, i didn't know about this triangle rule.

Lots of things to consider with this design.
    Indeed, it's just an idea i wanted to ask the community about since i don't have much experience with hammock design.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I would be worried that the center ridge-line would cause the spreader bar to bend/fail in the middle of the bar.
    I was planning on attaching it to both main suspensions, without even touching the spreader bars.

And thanks for the idea of stacked spreader bars. Though it does probably increase weight a lot, i'll keep it in mind.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I don't want to discourage you from your design. Just hoping to get your mind thinking about how things might react to one big spreader. I look forward to your test.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    How about just using stacked spreader bars. Drawback is this would increase total length of hammock and suspension but hey, this aint no traditional hammock either..

You should be able to use a single tree at each end now..Also this would allow for you to simply use two bridge hammocks rather than making a new double or just design a double that can be separated somehow when needed.
    Attachment 51021

Hello!

I just noticed that this thread has been revived. Cool!

XTrekker, very good idea regarding your drawing. I actually made one that way, but it made excessive side to side rotation when I tested it.

I had an idea to compensate for this. I tried stabilizing the first spreader with webbing on each end of the first spreader, which was a ski pole. I attached one strap above and one below the primary the tree strap from each side. Upon testing this I immediately bent my ski pole. So, in my experience it didn't work. I once again turned back to trying to suspend the double hammock between three trees.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 05-28-2013 at 23:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Biales View Post
    Hello,

Sorry for necroposting, but i'd like to ask a question to dblhmmck regarding his double bridge hammock, but i think other people might also be able to answer.

Why using three trees ? Since you're already using spreader bars at both ends, i guess it's not for structural reasons. Is it for stability ? How does this hammock behave when only one person lays on one side ? What about a hammock with only two anchor points ? Would it be necessary to hop in it and get off it at the same time as your partner ?

I went hammock camping for two weeks with my girlfriend and we really miss sleeping together, so this is what i'm planning to make, and i'm wondering if it is possible or a total aburdity (don't laugh at my MSPaint skills) :

[Edit:] Oops, sorry, i read the entire first post and had my question answered.
    Still, can the central rope be adjustable as i planned ? Or is it another absurdity ?

Maybe with an adjustable central rope, one can warn the other he or she's getting off the hammock, loose the central rope and let the other person rest in the middle of the hammock, effectively avoiding tilting while still using two trees ?
    We are both about the same weight.
    Nice drawings! I think you ask some good questions. Yes, it is all about stability and ease of use. But I ended up asking the question from the opposite perspective.

"Since I know I will need three trees, do I really need spreader bars at the head end?"

I think the short answer is NO.

"Can the central rope be adjustable"

Good idea. I ended up using a section about 12"-15" of very thick shock cord added to the end of the cord. This allowed some movement and flex. To me it was a solution that could be set once, rather than adjustable during use. I try to simplify the design if there is an opportunity to do it, so that was the answer that was working for me.

Here is an important finding regarding the central support rope and the flat lay of a double bridge. Allow the central rope to exit at the level of the knees and continue to the apex of the foot triangle free from the fabric bed, and in a similar way from above the shoulders. This gives better results than allowing the central support to form a simple arc. It will allow you to keep the lowered foot for flat sleeping- like a bridge hammock.

Getting in and out will be very tricky. Once one side is no longer loaded and the loaded side not centered the hammock will want to tip.

Also you have to think about hang distance. With my bridge built for one, I can not hang less that 12'. Best is 15' to 18' range. With the longer spreaders on your design, to get the 83% compression on the bars the triangle is going to have to be pretty long. Then it comes to a challenge just getting you tree straps high enough to get a 30* hang.

Lots of things to consider with this design.
    Yes that is an important point about hang distance. If the head spreader bars are removed that reduces hang distance needed. Cranking up the tension between the two head end attachments helps with the stability when one person gets out. But, as we know, that increases the stress on the entire suspension system. In practice, I have hung at about 20 degrees or even less in an attempt to increase stability.

You are right, there are lots of things to consider in making the best compromises.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hey Dbl, ever use that Mule Tape? I was wondering how it worked for a bridge...

Anyway, 1 question from me, the bridge-noob: In the above drawing, the "eat mode" puts a lot of weight on the end of the hammock, given those stresses are probably high: won't the foot-end spreader bars need to be quite a bit stronger than normal?

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Hey Dbl, ever use that Mule Tape? I was wondering how it worked for a bridge...

Anyway, 1 question from me, the bridge-noob: In the above drawing, the "eat mode" puts a lot of weight on the end of the hammock, given those stresses are probably high: won't the foot-end spreader bars need to be quite a bit stronger than normal?

John
    Yes, John! Thanks for that generous box of mule tape a while back. I think it is great for the lateral arc material for a bridge hammock, and I have used it that way. I still have a lot left for future projects too!

Good point about strength needed when center of gravity is moved to the foot end. Although I like the graphic, the "eat mode" doesn't appear practical. Remember the foot section is joined together at nearly a 50% overlap. The figures would have to be toddlers for that graphic to be in scale. However those end space can make good storage bins. It is especially helpful to have pockets at the head end for storing extra clothing layers.

Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Hanging between 2 trees rather than 3: Oh, I wish I could have gotten this to work.
    I'm totally new to this, I don't even own a hammock yet. However, my husband and I are a planning a 3 night trip hiking trip for May and I'm really thinking hanging is the way to go for the comfort factor. I'm really interested in the idea of a double hammock, so I've read this whole thread and quite a few others. Sorry, if this has been asked and explained already and I just missed it or if it totally isn't a viable idea at all, but it seems the problem with hanging a double like this from 2 trees is when one person goes to get up before the other, tipping the hammock.
    My question is: why can't you just use side tie-outs staked to the ground on either side (maybe even more than one on each side) to stabilize the hammock for when there was only one person in it?
    Again, I'm totally green here, so sorry if I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by ARoberge View Post
    ... Sorry, if this has been asked and explained already and I just missed it or if it totally isn't a viable idea at all, but it seems the problem with hanging a double like this from 2 trees is when one person goes to get up before the other, tipping the hammock.
    My question is: why can't you just use side tie-outs staked to the ground on either side (maybe even more than one on each side) to stabilize the hammock for when there was only one person in it?
    Again, I'm totally green here, so sorry if I'm missing something.
    Hi, and thanks for reviving this old thread.

I think you are on the right track with stabilizing the double hammock for use with two people, when one gets out. Grizz experimented with side-stabilized bridge's and found it took surprisingly big stakes to secure the forces involved. And this was for a one person bridge hammock. One way or another, you have to really increase the suspension tension. This puts more stress on all of the hammock components and requires using sturdier materials.

One company who has taken this approach is "Newtribe". They have come up with the treeboat hammock , which have been revised since I last looked at them. They are pricey, but they look pretty nice. Somebody buy one and tell us what you think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast