Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

Saw a pop-up T-storm in the forecast, Tarp test time!

While watching the British Open, a weather warning flashed across the screen....

Whats a noob with a brand new tarp to do? Build a bamboo support and hang the tarp of course! I recruited my willing 22 yr old daughter and we got it set up and hung the hammock just before the bottom fell out. I didn't stay in due to lightning. But here's what we did. Let me know what you think and show me the error of my inexperienced ways

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very nice,,I have been wondering for a long time,,why more people don't use bamboo for support poles as its super strong and dang near impossible to break when its dried out and lasts forever. Very nice setup.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    How do you have the bamboo anchored? Is there a line I can't see tied to another tree. Like how you tied the suspension to keep the bamboo together.
    If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse. Proverbs 27:14

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You're on the right track. I'd say that the bipod needs to be as close to the tarp as possible, so you won't be scraping the ground. And since your hammock is so low with you in it, I'm guessing you've got some stretch somewhere, most likely in the line from the bipod to whatever it's anchored to. Go with another polyester ratchet strap.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Very nice,,I have been wondering for a long time,,why more people don't use bamboo for support poles as its super strong and dang near impossible to break when its dried out and lasts forever. Very nice setup.
    Thanks, a neighbor has a large bamboo patch, I'm thinking of making a staff or hiking sticks out of bamboo. I've been thinking how to install a connector to make the interior available for storage of survival gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
    How do you have the bamboo anchored? Is there a line I can't see tied to another tree. Like how you tied the suspension to keep the bamboo together.
    The bamboo is just sitting directly on the ground, there is a 5/8" rope (too stretchy for long term use) that runs from the maple tree you can see, then loops thru the bipod, to a heavy duty poly ratchet strap (not enough rope) and the strap connects low on a tree out of view. The bamboo is held together with wraps of twisted mason line that I really don't have a good use for. The strap for the suspension is wrapped thru the fork of the bamboo. Both straps are cheap cargo straps with the buckles removed, but the poly straps are rated @ 1000 lbs. and have the factory loop that's just large enough to feed the other end of the strap thru. I plan to find thicker straps as I think these are too thin, are made in China and I really don't trust the sewn on tag that claims 1000 lbs. strength.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    You're on the right track. I'd say that the bipod needs to be as close to the tarp as possible, so you won't be scraping the ground. And since your hammock is so low with you in it, I'm guessing you've got some stretch somewhere, most likely in the line from the bipod to whatever it's anchored to. Go with another polyester ratchet strap.
    You're right about the stretch, but that part was what I had laying around the shop. There is about 2' between the bipod/tree and tarp. I have a poly ratchet strap that is quite tight. But hey, the anchor point is nearly 40' from the bipod. Thanks I'm planning on putting in a better anchor a few feet away from the bipod at some point. This was just a spur of the moment thing to test the tarp.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    The Kelty kept the hammock dry thru a thunderstorm that partially flooded a nearby when it's roof mall failed from the rain. I'm guessing that was a sufficient test! More rain in the forecast tonight, think I'll give it a try if the lightning stays away and the bugs don't attack in mass. So far so good the only negative is size and weight.

Strong thunderstorms dumped torrential rainfall Friday evening across parts of the Charlotte area, apparently causing a partial roof collapse at SouthPark Mall and triggering flash flooding elsewhere in south Charlotte.

No injuries were reported at the mall, where 6 to 8 inches of water accumulated in spots. But police say SouthPark Mall has been closed indefinitely.

A flash flood warning remains in effect until 8 p.m. for south Charlotte.

The worst of the storm appears to have hit south Charlotte. NewsChannel 36, the Observer’s news partner, is reporting than 3.52 inches of rain fell near SouthPark between 4:15 and 5:15 p.m.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If you really need to reach out and grab an anchor, they make a 2"x40' strap for securing hay bales on trucks...3000# wll, zero stretch. Surprisingly affordable...seems like I paid ~$20.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Great excuse! My wife keeps up 2 terrorist....our arabian horses,I'm sure she'd appreciate a couple of new straps so we can haul hay safely!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If you really need to reach out and grab an anchor, they make a 2"x40' strap for securing hay bales on trucks...3000# wll, zero stretch. Surprisingly affordable...seems like I paid ~$20.

• + New Posts