Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hennessy in the Amazon

We got back from a riverboat/kayak trip on the Rio Negro near Manaus Brazil about a month ago - here are some hammock-related photos.

While we slept in typical hammocks for the region while on the riverboat, we did spend one night off the boat and one of the guys brought his Hennessy.

I left mine at home - the Rio Negro doesn't support mosquitos so I knew that a sheet would be all I need - assuming it didn't rain. It didn't thank goodness.

There's a slide show here that y'all might enjoy, we've got a trip report going here and I'll put some pictures below.

BTW, the majority of the sleeping accomodations on the Amazon are in regional hammocks. Just about every riverboat may have a few cabins but most people simply hand a hammock. I'll include a picture of a typical riverboat where you can see an example of this.

Our camp site is straight ahead:

It's not much - but it was comfortable.

Paul's Hennessy:

The riverboat we rented for the week:

Set up for sleeping:

You can see the hammocks on this typcial riverboat:

In 2003, I traveled by riverboat from Belem to Manaus. That boat had three classes of travel: hammock without air conditioning, hammock with AC and small, tiny cabins. This picture is from that trip....

Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

"The pela-caras is a tall white man. Some say he is a gringo who enjoys killing and taking body parts, in particular faces. He strikes at night when one is alone."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very nice!
    I'd love to go down there again sometime. I wasn't into hammocks when I went there as a youth. Shame, as I'm sure I could have learned an awful lot from those people.
    Trust nobody!

True....

It helps to have a guide there - you can get yourself into real trouble real quick. We'll go back in a few years and do an unsupported trip next.

Glad we didn't meet your relatives there.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

"The pela-caras is a tall white man. Some say he is a gringo who enjoys killing and taking body parts, in particular faces. He strikes at night when one is alone."

That's a four-foot electric eel that we caught. We didn't eat him but...someone did.

I'm the ugly guy on the left.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    Glad we didn't meet your relatives there.

Just give em a cold beer; they like that.
    I was down in the Amazon many moons ago doing some specimen gathering for an aquarium and studying river dolphins. We stayed in a handful of small villages during our 5 week stay. We were the only ones without hammocks. A few decided to sleep in hammocks, but I was young and tough...the ground is fine.

They weren't impressed with anything we brought until we opened a cooler after we unloaded it from our transport boat. It was full of ice and beer bought prior to going into the jungle. They were very impressed and ended-up drinking most of it. Course, that was the plan all along. Wasn't my plan and I'm still a little sore about it, but it did win the hearts of the villagers and no students were eaten.
    Trust nobody!

Very cool!

Wow - that's pretty darn cool. I found that if I was on the water early, the chances of seeing the gray dolphins was excellent.

They are impossible to photograph but if you use your imagination, you can see a pair here.

We did see a few of the pink ones - one little business feeds them enough to bring them in real close.

The best part was hunting caiman at night. Not hunting as in shooting them but just attempting to grab them with your hands after "freezing" them with a headlamp.
    Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

Images
    there's a guy right now walking the entire length of the amazon river, he's carrying a hh i believe. supposed to take him 2 years or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    there's a guy right now walking the entire length of the amazon river, he's carrying a hh i believe. supposed to take him 2 years or something like that.
    Tough trip - especially since most of the immediate area is fairly swampy. The level of the Rio Negro was at a 56-year high and most of our kayaking was in the tree tops. The Amazon was much the same - out of it's banks.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    PHX AZ

Images
    yeah, it's slow going i think. there was a good article about it in outside mag (or something like that) i think bernie from practical backpacking did a podcast with the guy about it recently.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I was down in the Amazon many moons ago doing some specimen gathering for an aquarium ...
    What were you collecting? I've taken a break from the hobby but used to keep Apistos and Killifish.
    Last edited by billvann; 08-21-2009 at 17:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast