Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    easiest UQ set up ever devised---more kudos to Warbonnetdude's genius.
    And the fact that you can reach out and slide the Yeti either direction is just plane good thinking.
    Yep!
    There is no other underquilt that goes up as fast and easy as the Yetis. Truly an "no fuss" system.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yep!
    There is no other underquilt that goes up as fast and easy as the Yetis. Truly an "no fuss" system.
    well I don't totally agree with that. Attaching it is easy, keeping it in place is another story...yawn
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    well I don't totally agree with that. Attaching it is easy, keeping it in place is another story...yawn
    That depends on how active of a sleeper you are. I don't move much once I'm asleep, so the Yeti is generally in the same place in the morning as it was when I went to sleep. Even when I do feel the need to roll, a quick half-asleep tug on the Yeti is all that is required. Heck, I've seen the SnugFit shift on Genuine Draft when she's sleeping.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yep!
    I agree ( based on use of the similar WB Climashield torso UQ.) with one possible exception. Though this is a claim I only make for using 2 pieces of gear together. That is the combo of the JRB MWUQ and BMBH. I find that there is really nothing to adjust with this system, other than just making sure you don't pull it too ridiculously tight. If I attache it about as loose as it will go, it still works out OK. But usually I just put UQ loops through the hammock loops, attach to the suspension lines which stay on the all winter, do the same on the other end, and I'm essentially done. I might fine tune by then slightly tightening the suspension, but it only takes a slight adjustment. And it still seems to be snug enough if I do nothing. Really, this quilt is almost a custom over the head to below the toes fit for THIS ONE hammock with both straight out of the shipping box.

And once it's on, it stays pretty much adjusted even if you stuff the whole shebang into one stuff sack.

But all this rave about "easy to use" is only for the combo. Used on a gathered end hammock, there is going to be more fuss than with my WBUQ. But still not a big deal, still easier than most what with no worries about compression, and once I got it all arranged, once again, it all pretty much stayed together. But, it certainly took me more initial set up( used with my War Bonnet Black Bird) than my WB torso and a leg pad.

I bet the Snugfit also is pretty easy and stays put once adjusted, but I don't have personal experience.

Now don't get confused folks: Despite me being so impressed with that JRB combo(warm head to toe no matter how I thrashed around), I am still quite enamored with my WB CS torso with a leg pad or no pad. In fact, it is maybe my overall fav for early summer through early fall in the south, after I removed 3 layers! I can't remember exactly, but I think it only weighed roughly 9 oz, and there are really no moisture concerns with it or the leg pad. If I even use a leg pad in the summer.

It's only flaw is that, sadly , I don't think it works quite right on my JRB bridge.

But right now, I still am more in need of a portable, lightweight AC. I was just hanging in the woods in the JRB BH a couple of hours ago. It turned out to be quite pleasant listening to the animal and other woods noises. But I sure was grateful for the Frogg Toggs Chill Pad, the evaporative cooling coming off off my wet back in the hammock, the deep shade and the ice cold water I had with me. I needed all of that just to be able to lay there very long. Come on fall and winter, hurry!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Come on fall and winter, hurry!
    Yeah!

Good to know about the MW on a Bridge. Genuine Draft's son picked up a Bridge at Trail Days and is about to start spending the real money (tarp + quilts). I've been pushing him in the MW direction. One can only hope a teenager will listen.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I agree ( based on use of the similar WB Climashield torso UQ.) with one possible exception. Though this is a claim I only make for using 2 pieces of gear together. That is the combo of the JRB MWUQ and BMBH. I find that there is really nothing to adjust with this system, other than just making sure you don't pull it too ridiculously tight. If I attache it about as loose as it will go, it still works out OK. But usually I just put UQ loops through the hammock loops, attach to the suspension lines which stay on the all winter, do the same on the other end, and I'm essentially done. I might fine tune by then slightly tightening the suspension, but it only takes a slight adjustment. And it still seems to be snug enough if I do nothing. Really, this quilt is almost a custom over the head to below the toes fit for THIS ONE hammock with both straight out of the shipping box.

And once it's on, it stays pretty much adjusted even if you stuff the whole shebang into one stuff sack.

But all this rave about "easy to use" is only for the combo. Used on a gathered end hammock, there is going to be more fuss than with my WBUQ. But still not a big deal, still easier than most what with no worries about compression, and once I got it all arranged, once again, it all pretty much stayed together. But, it certainly took me more initial set up( used with my War Bonnet Black Bird) than my WB torso and a leg pad.

I bet the Snugfit also is pretty easy and stays put once adjusted, but I don't have personal experience.

Now don't get confused folks: Despite me being so impressed with that JRB combo(warm head to toe no matter how I thrashed around), I am still quite enamored with my WB CS torso with a leg pad or no pad. In fact, it is maybe my overall fav for early summer through early fall in the south, after I removed 3 layers! I can't remember exactly, but I think it only weighed roughly 9 oz, and there are really no moisture concerns with it or the leg pad. If I even use a leg pad in the summer.

It's only flaw is that, sadly , I don't think it works quite right on my JRB bridge.

But right now, I still am more in need of a portable, lightweight AC. I was just hanging in the woods in the JRB BH a couple of hours ago. It turned out to be quite pleasant listening to the animal and other woods noises. But I sure was grateful for the Frogg Toggs Chill Pad, the evaporative cooling coming off off my wet back in the hammock, the deep shade and the ice cold water I had with me. I needed all of that just to be able to lay there very long. Come on fall and winter, hurry!
    BB58, et al,

I've gone to a new pack, Elemental Horizons, (Super pack I might add) that works well with the large plastic bag in the bottom...After I put in the top quilt, I take one end of the BMBH and MW3 and start stuffing it in the bag, walk to the other tree, finish, compress all, twist bag and rubber band seal... Done, hanging is reversed for complete hammock and insulation under 30 seconds, and perfectly aligned, as you note, every time.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    BB58, et al,

I've gone to a new pack, Elemental Horizons, (Super pack I might add) that works well with the large plastic bag in the bottom...After I put in the top quilt, I take one end of the BMBH and MW3 and start stuffing it in the bag, walk to the other tree, finish, compress all, twist bag and rubber band seal... Done, hanging is reversed for complete hammock and insulation under 30 seconds, and perfectly aligned, as you note, every time.

Pan
    I'll have to look that pack up. I for sure need another one.

But yes, the above approach works great IMO, particularly handy on multi-day trips where I am breaking camp every morning and setting up every afternoon.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Hobiecat, did you get the problem resolved? If so, can you share what you changed on the rigging to fix the problem?

I have a 1.7 double BB, and I'm trying to decided on whether I should get an underquilt and if so whether a Yeti or a snugfit. The Yeti looks really easy to use on the video, but I don't know whether it would be warm enough this winter.

My only experience with underquilts was with an Old Rag Mtn. on a HH Explorer UL, and I didn't like it. I could never get/keep it adjusted right, and I had to get out everytime I wanted to adjust something, which was a PITA. The ORM became my goto winter quilt (top quilt on the inside, I love it for that use) and I switched to a Claytor with ccf pads. I think Neo's posts convinced me to try that and it worked pretty well down to 5deg or so with no problems. Now I have the double layer BB which is plush delux, and I was happy with it and ccf pads until I say the Yeti video. Now I'm wondering about underquilts again...Anybody using a snugfit on a BB?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Genuine Draft uses a SnugFit on her Blackbird and loves it. In fact, on at least one occasion, she brought her SnugFit and forgot her hammock. Car camping, so no problem..but still.

A Yeti will do fine in the winter IMO. I spent the past winter up in the hills camping with my Winter Yeti and had very positive results; temps well below zero. Pack or pads under the feet and sheltered in the loving wrap of my SuperFly with the Winter Yeti below and a JRB RMS on top; winter life perfected...for now.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Hobiecat, did you get the problem resolved? If so, can you share what you changed on the rigging to fix the problem?

I have a 1.7 double BB, and I'm trying to decided on whether I should get an underquilt and if so whether a Yeti or a snugfit. The Yeti looks really easy to use on the video, but I don't know whether it would be warm enough this winter.

My only experience with underquilts was with an Old Rag Mtn. on a HH Explorer UL, and I didn't like it. I could never get/keep it adjusted right, and I had to get out everytime I wanted to adjust something, which was a PITA. The ORM became my goto winter quilt (top quilt on the inside, I love it for that use) and I switched to a Claytor with ccf pads. I think Neo's posts convinced me to try that and it worked pretty well down to 5deg or so with no problems. Now I have the double layer BB which is plush delux, and I was happy with it and ccf pads until I say the Yeti video. Now I'm wondering about underquilts again...Anybody using a snugfit on a BB?

No problem... and yes, I did get the Yeti dialed in. Looping the foot end over the footbox was a must. I also added a small piece of shockcord with a hook to the left shoulder side. This attaches to the left side hammock pullout and alleviates any "hot dogging" as I like to term it. The UQ slides back and forth fairly easily making one arm, inside the hammock, adjustments an afterthought.

This is my first UQ, so I don't have any level of comparison. But for my money, something that packs down the size of a nalgene bottle, weighs next to nothing, sets up in literally 10-seconds (just string over the hammock ends!!), and got me blazing hot on just the trial hang..... is worth every cent. I love the loft on the Yeti and the added "lip" on the ends to trap heat was very clever.

I used to use a Thermarest in my HH, but in my opinion (I know there's others here who feel differently) a pad takes away from my hammocking experience. I like to lay in all different positions - sideways, fetal, indian style even and there's nothing more enjoyable than that cocoon feeling... esp when it's a large, almost silky - 1.1 ripstop, BB cocoon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12