Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Talking Pictures of my DIY HH clone and Hex tarp

Well, I finally had enough time and a good day to get out and hang up my homemade hex tarp and HH clone! Woo hoo! I was so focused on all the little knots that I didn't realize I hung up the tarp inside out...oh well...

Specs

Hammock: 15.4 oz. (Includes grip clips and 2.5 oz biner)
    Suspension: 4.5 oz.
    Hex Tarp: ~1.5 lbs. (weighed on a pound scale, so I want to redo that one.)
    Stakes: I found out that the stakes that came with my Black Diamond tent and Sierra Designs tent both weigh .5 oz.

The guylines are tied using the method shown at the bushcraft site here: http://www.bushcraftnorthwest.com/ar...ark_export.jpg I just applied the same technique to a hex design. There is a photo of a drawing I made to work from and also a photo showing it tied up.

I am using catfish twine for guyline currently, but I will proabably be looking to switch to something more durable soon. I also want to make some sort of modification to the tarp to put the guylines in after wrapping them up. Right now I am using a rubber band like they do in the bushcraft video, but I think I will end up sewing onn some velcro to keep the line in.

I like the HH clone, and can really tell the difference in the lay. I am pretty sure the one I made is too short, though. I think it is comfortable, but I will make another one that is bigger next time.

The tieouts on the hammock are Sierra Designs grip clips. They have worked well, and I am glad I used them because I didn't think the location of the tieouts was correct the first time I set it. So, I moved them until they were about at my shoulder and knee, and it was much better. Also, I tied a bowline hitch on the ends for the pegs and a tensioning hitch on the hammock end, so I can tighten the guylines w/o fully leaving the hammock. And, if I want to swing or just loosen one/both of the guylines I can just reach over and pull and I am loose! Thanks to Bushcraft for the handy knots!

I hope you all enjoy, and any suggestions would be welcome!! Like if you look at the last picture, does it seem that I should have more room to stretch out?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-17-2008 at 01:27.

Images
    Forgot to post the drawing! Here ya go...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Looks really nice. Kudos on a job well done.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, very nice. Very comfortable looking.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    What fabric did you make that out of? Looks comfy. Is that white ripstop?

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yes I was also interested in what material you used. Is it same for tarp and hammock?

Very nice job.

cc
    Last edited by campcrafter; 05-16-2008 at 21:56. Reason: spelling
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Images

Thanks!

Thanks for all the kind words. I really appriciate it; about four months ago, I would have never imagined it possible!

The hammock is made of a double layer of white 1.1 oz. (?) ripstop from the dollar bin, and the tarp is made of a very light yellow fabric that is waterproof, but I am not sure what the coating is, also dollar bin. I believe it is nylon that has a PU coating. I was thinking of taking it in to the local backpacking store to get their opinion...

I will be trying to find a heavier material from the dollar bin to make my next hammock. If I cannot find a suitable fabric, I will go with an online dealer. I want to use the 1.9 everyone around here uses because the process will be easier (one peice of fabric vs. two) and yeild a lighter result.

The white fabric is something that I think looks very cool and gossamer. However, I didn't consider how anal I would have to be to keep it clean. But this does tend to make you more thoughtful about your handling and general care for the hammock, so perhaps it is a benefit!
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-17-2008 at 01:04.

Images
    I want to get some input for my next clone that I make, and I also have a question regarding the tarp rigging.

When I am laying in the hammock, I can feel where the sweet spot is. The area from my knees to my shoulders is quite flat. I can notice a difference compared to my homemade Speer. My head is being propped up, though, and my feet arenot allowed to fully stretch out, like the sides aren't quite wide enough. I have the hammock at a sizeable sag, and I don't feel this is the issue. Will making the hammock longer give me a longer zone of flatness?

I was also wanting to inquire about the tarp rigging that I have installed. The corner lines go out first with tensioning hitches to the stake. An alpine loop is tied in the middle of those corner lines. To this loop the middle tieouts are tied with tensioning hitches. This allows me to stake out the corners and pull them tight, then pull the middle tieouts tight which makes the entire tarp form it's shape, and according to bushcraft's video, distributes the load evenly around the tarp.

Well, I pulled the middle tensioning hitches tight on one corner, and the corner started sagging because the middle tensioning hitches were more taught than the corner one. At this point, tightening the corner one would only tighten the middle tieous further, so I would loosen the middle ones, and start all over again with the corner tieout.

Then, I set the corner tight again, and tightened the middle tieouts to the point where they were firm, but not extremely tight, and not buckling the corner like before. I was wondering, should I just make the lines firm and not extremely tight, or will that lead to instability in high winds?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-17-2008 at 01:30.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    r.e. would a longer hammock help...you didn't give the length and width dimensions of what you have, so it's hard to tell.

On the tarp...when I went to Philmont a couple of years ago we used a related pitching method. That tarp had more tie-outs. The key difference from what you show is that only one cord is used. Tensioning loop around a corner tie-out, cord working end run out to backside of corner stake (being used as a pivot) cord to and through center tie-out, cord out to backside of other corner stake, cord looped through final corner tie-out and finished off with a tautline.

It's easy to try anyway.

Grizz

Images
    The hammock started out at ~10 ft., but some errors in the process shortened it from there. It is probabaly ~9'8".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast