DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What ever hammock you choose Chris, I hope you'll share some pictures of hammocking in Sweden!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    What ever hammock you choose Chris, I hope you'll share some pictures of hammocking in Sweden!
    Will do! I'll be one of the few hanging in my cold cold country Thinking of trying to import hammocks and converting my fellow countrymen, we'll see how that works.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Does anyone know how much the warbonnet costs and weighs with hammock, uq and tarp? Like the 1/2 uq, seems that having a full length could be a bit of an overkill.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    Does anyone know how much the warbonnet costs and weighs with hammock, uq and tarp? Like the 1/2 uq, seems that having a full length could be a bit of an overkill.
    Brandon (warbonnetguy) while chime in on the costs I'm sure; I already got in trouble once.

Weight wise, mine should be at least close to the new models. My hammock, webbbing, rings, biners, and BishopBag weigh 30.2 oz; no stakes. (think the hammock alone is about 19 oz.) and the UQ is 16.09 oz. The SuperFly (winter tarp) is about 20 oz., but I know he's made some pretty big changes to the SuperFly, so who knows?
    Last edited by Cannibal; 08-27-2008 at 08:48. Reason: Adding the lack of stakes in weight
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    So let's try to tip the balance. Let's compare the total price and weight for as identical systems as possible.

-HH ULBA (with overcover, undercover, pad and new snakeskins): about 53oz and 375 USD
    -Speer (with snugfit, but without a overcover): about 67oz and 540 USD
    -JRB's bear mountain bridge (their complete three season set): 98oz and 799USD
    -Clark NA: about 47oz and 299 USD

I'm surprised, I really thought that the Clark was the most expensive of them all but it is in fact the cheapest option out there and is also the lightest

Can someone think of anything else that tips the balance in any other way? How is the craftsmanship of these hammocks? Comfort? Ease of setting up or tearing down? Bulk? Etc..

there really is a wide difference in these systems.... they are certainly not of equal comparision....read up on test reports and compare these with nothing added, ie no space blankets or extra pads for the hh???? a speer with nothing on top..... i doubt it.... a naked clark, no top or bottom insulation at all.... what does one plan to wear.....and a full three season jrb set complete with two quilts....

chris, do you really think these are equal systems? you may consider this equally biased but as defined above, you will be very uncomfortable with three of them at 30* and nothing else.....

pan

/
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Gotta agree with Pan on this one. No way the other systems (as presented) would keep you equally as warm as the set-up you've chosen for the JRB model. Weight and cost will increase accordingly.

Think about comfort first, then figure out warm. JMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I thought the same thing when I read that.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    there really is a wide difference in these systems.... they are certainly not of equal comparision....read up on test reports and compare these with nothing added, ie no space blankets or extra pads for the hh???? a speer with nothing on top..... i doubt it.... a naked clark, no top or bottom insulation at all.... what does one plan to wear.....and a full three season jrb set complete with two quilts....

chris, do you really think these are equal systems? you may consider this equally biased but as defined above, you will be very uncomfortable with three of them at 30* and nothing else.....

pan
    /

Pan, I'm not really sure what you mean by:

"compare these with nothing added, ie no space blankets or extra pads for the hh???? a speer with nothing on top..... i doubt it.... a naked clark, no top or bottom insulation at all.... what does one plan to wear.....and a full three season jrb set complete with two quilts...."
    I agree that I made a mistake when comparising them as only the JRB has a top quilt. Yet if I would compare these without anything extra then I would have to remove the underquilt from the bear mountain bridge, and it like the rest would still get cold under 30* w/o any bottom insulation.

I see these systems equal in the sense that all of them have: a tarp, a hammock and a bottom insulation of some kind. And that the total system comes from the same manufacturer. As I can't compare them "hands on" I am relying on the numbers from each manufactures website about their weight and cost, and I am also relying on the collected knowledge on this great site.

If there is a better way to compare them then please let me know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Pan, I'm not really sure what you mean by:

I agree that I made a mistake when comparising them as only the JRB has a top quilt. Yet if I would compare these without anything extra then I would have to remove the underquilt from the bear mountain bridge, and it like the rest would still get cold under 30* w/o any bottom insulation.

I see these systems equal in the sense that all of them have: a tarp, a hammock and a bottom insulation of some kind. And that the total system comes from the same manufacturer. As I can't compare them "hands on" I am relying on the numbers from each manufactures website about their weight and cost, and I am also relying on the collected knowledge on this great site.

If there is a better way to compare them then please let me know.
    Not all the insulations you've chosen are equal.

The Clarks rely on using clothing, ground litter, etc. to stuff into the pockets; results will vary widely.

The SungFit you've got under the Speer is crazy warm, almost too warm, heavy NOT CHEAP.

You’re using a pad under the Hennessy, which don’t perform at the same level as down.

And you’ve got a rectangular down quilt under the JRB.

All of these systems are totally different was of insulating and everyone has their favorite method, but they are not really comparable to each other.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    And I thought I had it all figured out, oh well, back to square one

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast