Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I use NO hardware in my entire hammock and tarp setup....EXCEPT for linelocs at the tarp guy outs. They're just so easy and convenient. I use them often cos when I camp I tend to stay for several days, and adjust my tarp frequently - adding and removing porch mode, pitching in close, or out wider depending on the weather etc.

I also have tautline hitches semi-permanently tied at the stake ends. They provide an extra point of adjustability, especially in porch mode when I can't use the adjustability at the tarp end because the stick I'm using to lift the tarp is already too close to the tarp.

It's interesting how much variety there is in the simplest of things - hanging a tarp. I like to hear people's reasons for why they do it the way they do it.

HYOH for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    So, one idea I've seen used by SMR is to have set-length guy-lines, like what they use on the Stratos Fly. You have a 3-4 foot Guy-line with pre-made loops(Either bowline, or spliced.) And you can just move your stakes to whatever distance/location you want your tarp to be.
    That really limits how you set up your tarp though. For instance, I've had to hang perpendicular to fairly steep hills before. With fixed length guy lines, my downhill side would be badly encroaching on my "dry space".

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    But for guylines? My tautline loops are already tied into the tarp D rings and I whip a MSH on the stake end. It literally could not go any quicker with hardware.
    I leave my guylines permanently tied to my stakes, and run through my linelocs on the tarp side. I don't take them out of the linelocs when I pack the tarp (in fact, I tie a stopper knot on the tag end so they CAN'T come out).

Hang the tarp, bang in your stakes, and pull the tag end to tension. I really can't imagine a faster way to do it.

I'm all for forgoing hardware, but linelocs on guy lines are far and away the fastest way to tension (assuming you leave your lines run through them) AFAIK
    Last edited by MiteyF; 06-18-2018 at 14:53.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
    I'm all for forgoing hardware, but linelocs on guy lines are far and away the fastest way to tension (assuming you leave your lines run through them) AFAIK
    I think integrated elastic bands even beats that, with a full time-to-tension at 0.0 seconds ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I think integrated elastic bands even beats that, with a full time-to-tension at 0.0 seconds ;-)
    Aside from the fact that you may have to choose between proper tension and proper geometry, I'll give you the win! I use a loop of shock cord between my guy lines and my stake, so I still have the benefit of the "self-tensioning" shock cord, with the adjustability of linelocs.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I use NO hardware in my entire hammock and tarp setup....EXCEPT for linelocs at the tarp guy outs. They're just so easy and convenient. I use them often cos when I camp I tend to stay for several days, and adjust my tarp frequently - adding and removing porch mode, pitching in close, or out wider depending on the weather etc.
    +1

I've tried hardware-free and various ti-bling, but I keep coming back to the line-loc 3's (light version, which works better with thinner cordage). When considering cost, weight, and ease-of-use... they're kind of undeniable. I usually attach them with a short zing-it loop to the d-ring, then leave my self-tensioning guy-lines attached to my stakes. If the weather is particularly rough, I might throw a slippery half-hitch on the guy-lines for kicks.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    My guylines have self-tensioning shock cord that never reaches maximum tension. It is semi-permanently installed on the tarp. A marlin spike hitch is used on the stakes.

I will also be installing them onto my silpoly since there is still a slight sag during rain. Shug has a YouTube video on this.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    LineLoc3's are my go-to here. Drop the stake, tie it off, pull tight.
    AMEN. Thanks for throwing that one into the conversation. Linelocs and zingit.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I've thought about doing something similar to how I connect my trekking poles for pole mods- shown below. Basically, it would be a prusik loop larksheaded to the stake, and then the guyline running through the prusik. The other end of the guyline would have a hook to connect it to the tarp. In my head, it works perfectly!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345