Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

good solution to the HH pad problem?

I am planning to build a Headessy clone, and was looking at UQ to build later when I have more DIY experience. Since the 900 fp down (what I plan on getting) is quite expensive, it got me thinking.

I want lengthwise baffles, ala snugfit. I thought about 1.5" loft under the center of me, 1.25" loft under the sides of me, and 1" of loft to give me some extra room and added side protection.

I am planning on using that as my 3 season setup, and for winter, I would also add a pad to the setup. What would happen if I sewed some loops in the CCF and secure it under my hammock and above my quilt. would that help from the pad moving around a lot?

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    For me personally, I can't sleep on a pad due to the condensation. If you're going to make a down quilt, why not make one a bit thicker to extend the range. I have a 2" and a 3". Above 70, I don't use either quilt. Between 70 and 50, I'll use the 2". Between 50 and 30, I use the 3". Between 30 and 20, I use both.
    Peace,
    Joe

Images
    a ccf pad will likely not stay snug to the bottom of the hammock, it does inside because you are laying on it, it is stiff and rigid, and will likely buckle and crease under you, and push the uq away in spots, not letting it fit snugly.

i think a better option would be to either sleep with the ccf in the hammock. since you have an uq, you can use a much thinner pad. probably 1/8" or 3/16" would go pretty far, and a thin pad is much less of a pain, and you can cover them with ripstop or use a spe for better handling.

an even better option might be to make a double layer hammock, since it's for colder weather, bug net would not be needed, so it would be simple to make. the pad goes between the layers, so you don't have to lay on it, and an uq could probably still be used. if you normally use a hammock made from 1.9 oz ripstop, switching to 2 layers of 1.1 would add very little weight and a little strength, and it is the most comfortable way to use a pad by far.

i recently made an uq out of synthetic insulation, i sewed one layer to the shell, and the other layers are quilt looped to the permanent one, (or at least to the one directly below it) i have a 15" or so zipper, so i can flip it inside out and add/remove layers depending on the season. 4 layers for a winter quilt, and possibly one for warm summer nights. that way, i am not carrying more than i need in summer and i can go pretty cold without a pad, and everything in between. 3 different weights of down uq's would be nice to have too though.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-17-2007 at 18:50.

well i may sucker for some down, but its kinda expensive, so i want to use quite little, as long as it doesnt become wasted. i am a pretty warm sleeper, so that also helps. maybe a hybrid, but i dont have a good hybrid design yet.

if an weather shield above you adds around 10*, would one around the quilt make me warmer by 10* or is it much under you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i recently made an uq out of synthetic insulation, i sewed one layer to the shell, and the other layers are quilt looped to the permanent one, (or at least to the one directly below it) i have a 15" or so zipper, so i can flip it inside out and add/remove layers depending on the season. 4 layers for a winter quilt, and possibly one for warm summer nights. that way, i am not carrying more than i need in summer and i can go pretty cold without a pad, and everything in between. 3 different weights of down uq's would be nice to have too though.
    And it totally KICKS-***! It was on my porch when I got home last night. Guess who slept like a baby outside last night?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    And it totally KICKS-***! It was on my porch when I got home last night. Guess who slept like a baby outside last night?
    We gonna see pics any time soon?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It was dark when I got home last night and I was too comfy this morning to get out of the hammock on time, so I didn't have time for pictures. I'll try to make it home tonight with daylight. I'll start a new thread when I take pics so I don't do a thread-jack. But, it's really cool (err...warm) and really versatile.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    ... I was too comfy this morning to get out of the hammock on time...
    I think that is the best excuse I've heard so far for no pictures.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It is also true; it was chilly out this morning and my hammock was warm.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    It is also true; it was chilly out this morning and my hammock was warm.
    I totally understand. I should have said best reason

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast