Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.

Arrow Mt Mathieson & Mt Mitchell Double Topping Single Hanger

Hello Hammock Forum members, Bruciehi5 here,

About 14 years ago, I started climbing up Mt Mitchell, but got stopped by a big scary snake, I ran back to my car and went home. This time there was no big scary snake, only a little snake that was scared of big tuff me. This video is a kind of training hike to Mt Mathieson on day one, followed by a hang at Spicer’s Gap campground. Day two had me climbing Mt Mitchell, successfully this time. I hope you enjoy my little trip report!

Last edited by Bruciehi5; 04-12-2012 at 03:23. Reason: Spelt Bruciehi5 wrong, fixed it.
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Well Brucie just got back to the office from the factory and had this video to enjoy. Thanks for that. As always very informative and extremely funny stuff pal. Toward the front of the video ... the sign "Warning Vertical Cliffs" had me chuckling ... guess they don't feel they need to warn you about horizontal cliffs! Ha

Most excellent work on the video and especially on the audio. Nicely done!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    As always, a great video! thanks for posting. your sense of humor get me laughing everytime.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Nice job Brucie....the main range is a great area to explore,
    lots of breathtaking shear drops & great panoramic views.
    If your into short walks, day walks, long hard yakka 3 to 4 day walks ....there all there.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome dude! I really like your narration at the beginning telling the history of the area. Glad you got a couple nights out on the trail and didn't have to throw any more rocks at snakes. Thanks a bunch for posting.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    OMG!! First scene a serpent!!
    Brucie you deliver! Just the part out of the weeds was a long as you-aghast!
    On the amble it looks like you have the entire park to your self
    I'll call you Mr. Gov from now on HA!
    The vistas are beautiful Brucie--how often do you find yourself staring off into the distance and NOT scanning the ground for you know what?
    What is a push bike? a scateboard maybe?
    Your whole hammock rig is very nice looking...stealthy too. The campsite scene reminds me to get a footrest mod up and running-thanks for the reminder. I think I'll do one with a slingshot pad in the middle versus just bare cord if that makes any sense. I'll call it the 'brucie', just imagine me saying 'yep got my feet on my brucie and feeling very relaxed
    Tarp to hammock-never could get that to work (for me)....like the idea of quick setup but my tarp always sagged as soon as I got in the hammock
    Just called the prevention of cruelty of animals on you for beening the snake in the head with the rock-they said BrucieHi5 is well known and on their watch list!
    So who built/builds the trail systems in Oz? We had the CCC back in the 30s do a lot of our trail building-now its volunteer orgs/hiking clubs/college projects/etc.
    Loved the peak view--from there even the truck road down below looks like a grey serpent
    Nothing in NSWs ?? Well there is a kayak manufacturer there, got a Mirage 580 shipped over from them.
    Wonderful production Brucie...as always thanks for taking me along.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Well Brucie just got back to the office from the factory and had this video to enjoy. Thanks for that. As always very informative and extremely funny stuff pal. Toward the front of the video ... the sign "Warning Vertical Cliffs" had me chuckling ... guess they don't feel they need to warn you about horizontal cliffs! Ha

Most excellent work on the video and especially on the audio. Nicely done!
    Hi there Hawk-eye,

I hope all is well with you and you’ll get to enjoy some hiking now that the warmer months are heading your way. Seems to be just the right temperature right now all around the world. Get yourself out to the Linville Gorge and Rat around – film it of course. You are welcome for the video! They can warn me all they like about cliffs, I either don’t take much notice, or forget about it two seconds later. I nearly fell off Governors chair, which would have made the video much longer. It would have taken a long time to climb back up, dust myself off and stroll over to turn the camera off, while mumbling, “they should warn people about those cliffs!”

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    As always, a great video! thanks for posting. your sense of humor get me laughing everytime.
    Thanks for your comments, raiffnuke! It’s both good and helpful to know that my attempts at humor are well received. No one has sent the video back yet, so it must be ok. If someone did, I’d be too scared to open the parcel, might have a snake in it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Nice job Brucie....the main range is a great area to explore,
    lots of breathtaking shear drops & great panoramic views.
    If your into short walks, day walks, long hard yakka 3 to 4 day walks ....there all there.
    Hello there, ofuros,

Yeah, you’ve done a fair bit of exploring in and around the Main Range NP. There seems to be more walks there than what’s on the maps. I’ll be back there, that’s for sure! From what I’ve read, long hard yakka is right for at least two of the “must do” hikes in there. Thanks for commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Awesome dude! I really like your narration at the beginning telling the history of the area. Glad you got a couple nights out on the trail and didn't have to throw any more rocks at snakes. Thanks a bunch for posting.

Fronkey
    I just noticed your profile thingy says, “Insulation: DIY “Ex-gf” Does that mean you’re using your ex girlfriend as insulation! lol How does that work! You’ll have to do a “how to” video on it. Yeah, the narration seemed to work out ok. The signs where the only interesting things on that track, so I filmed them and came up with the idea of reading parts of some of them. If anyone is interested, they can hit pause and read the rest. If I had of read all of all of them, the video would have gone for an hour. Chucking a rock at that snake was a good idea at the time kind of thing. It was a good shot, if I do say so my self – right on the scone! When you come to AU next March, you can chuck rocks at snakes to! Thanks for commenting Fronkey and don’t forget to put another thrill seeking donkey stampede on the end of your next video.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    OMG!! First scene a serpent!!
    Brucie you deliver! Just the part out of the weeds was a long as you-aghast!
    On the amble it looks like you have the entire park to your self
    I'll call you Mr. Gov from now on HA!
    The vistas are beautiful Brucie--how often do you find yourself staring off into the distance and NOT scanning the ground for you know what?
    What is a push bike? a scateboard maybe?
    Your whole hammock rig is very nice looking...stealthy too. The campsite scene reminds me to get a footrest mod up and running-thanks for the reminder. I think I'll do one with a slingshot pad in the middle versus just bare cord if that makes any sense. I'll call it the 'brucie', just imagine me saying 'yep got my feet on my brucie and feeling very relaxed
    Tarp to hammock-never could get that to work (for me)....like the idea of quick setup but my tarp always sagged as soon as I got in the hammock
    Just called the prevention of cruelty of animals on you for beening the snake in the head with the rock-they said BrucieHi5 is well known and on their watch list!
    So who built/builds the trail systems in Oz? We had the CCC back in the 30s do a lot of our trail building-now its volunteer orgs/hiking clubs/college projects/etc.
    Loved the peak view--from there even the truck road down below looks like a grey serpent
    Nothing in NSWs ?? Well there is a kayak manufacturer there, got a Mirage 580 shipped over from them.
    Wonderful production Brucie...as always thanks for taking me along.
    Yeah, it was a **** fine looking half a serpent, MedicineMan! Mr. Gov sounds good to me! It would work out to 98.4% of the time that I don’t watch out for you know whats. Sometimes I try to stay focused on watching out for you know whats, but there are so many interesting things to look at, I soon lose interest in looking out for you know whats.

What’s a push bike, you ask. Also know as a pushy, a treadly, but mostly known as a bicycle. Not to be confused with the “town bike,” so named, because everybody rides her (a promiscuous woman who has had more pricks than a dart board, if you know what I mean).

The shape and color of the Hennessey Hammocks make them stealthy. You’ve GOT TO get yourself a footrest, don’t leave home without one – I’ll be checking your next video! The slingshot pad type is the go. The trick to getting the tarp to hammock set up to work is to use fairly thick shock cord to pull out both the hammock and the tarp, preferably at the same time to save time.

Yes, that’s why I wear the hat. It’s a disguise, so the animal huggers don’t spot me. They don’t like my track clearing tactics very much.

The trails used to be made and maintained by government departments (NPWS), and they still are, but there are now days different groups as well, much the same as in the U.S, by the sounds of it.

It’s against the rules for anyone living in Queensland to like anything or anyone in New South Wales. The same goes, but in reverse for people living in NSW. It’s not really the case, it’s just a bit of fun. You see, they have a state verses state football game (3 of them each year) and while those games are being played out, NSW becomes the enemy. It’s all in good fun and it gives people something to talk about. The same thing happens when the Australian football team plays New Zealand. What we should do is cut NSW off and push it out to sea. lol We can leave the part with your kayak manufacturer attached, but that’s it.

Anyway, MedicineMan, thanks for your comments and questions, that I hope I answered ok, now go make yourself a footrest!
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi Bruciehi5.
    Great video, a great way to spend half hour relaxing in front of computer with feet up relaxing. Went on a bit of a walk the last two days. Was great to relax the legs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    always nice to see other places from around the world. Thanks for sharing.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I always enjoy watching Bruciehi5 videos. There very informative and fun to watch. I have a sneaky suspicion That there might be a another very entertaining trip report to watch in the near distance future, both from myself and Bruciehi5.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast