custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    The problem with that, is we are directing people to other areas and asking them to use alternate sections and applications of the site other than the one that was put in place for the specific reason of trip planning. Most, if not all, people go to the Trip Planning Forum who want to participate in Group Events. The number of people who use the calendar to Plan trips and to monitor for trips being planned, decreases significantly.

Creating a User-Friendly atmosphere for various services that the site offers just makes sense IMHO. It encourages its use and in-turn encourage use of the site. And as a community grows so does everything else. I understand that I may be an undertaking for initial setup but I think it will be worth it in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    It is a good discussion.
    XT - I completely agree with you. I just happen to have been here once before and the discussion was closed prematurely. I've seen it come up a few more times as well. This one has lasted a good while now, and I do hope something comes of it. We'll see.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    I like your idea and agree that its not that much more work especially if you bring in a couple more mods- and there do seem to be volunteers. But from what Ive seen around here, good ideas are met with alot of suspicion.
    Good ideas are not met with suspicion...the mods always have an honest discussion of the pros and cons of every idea presented. There's a current thread in the mod forum where we're specifically discussing this issue...again...to see if HF has changed enough that it would actually add to the kind of experience we'd like to create here.

More often, it's just that our goals for the site don't match the goals of the newbies (and they're usually newbies) who show up and try to change things. That's all. ("I love it here...HF is so unique among all the other internet forums. Now change this so it looks just like them.")

The goal of HF is to discuss hammocks. Not to discuss stoves with other hammockers. Not to discuss rock-climbing or paddling trips with hammockers. It's to discuss hammocks. Everything else is secondary.

And usually, these suggestions fall into that "secondary" category. Many of these ideas would certainly make for a better backpacking/cooking/meetup.com/skywriting/insertyourfavoritehobbyhere experience...but that's simply not what HammockForums is about.

Diego, many of your comments do little more than criticize how HF is run. Many threads where someone makes a suggestion contains a post from you...complaining. Frankly, if your experience here is so onerous, perhaps you should find a forum more suitable to your liking. Or start one yourself.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The goal of HF is to discuss hammocks. Not to discuss stoves with other hammockers. Not to discuss rock-climbing or paddling trips with hammockers. It's to discuss hammocks. Everything else is secondary.
    Trying not to be snarky here, but---

Isn't a bunch of hammock campers planning hammock camping trips the very essence of hammock camping?

One would think that making that as easy as possible to do falls right in line with the goals of the Forum.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Trying not to be snarky here, but---
    Well, as long as we're playing the snarky-game... (see the smiley?)

Where in Jeff's quote did you see the word "camping"? Camping is a thing done with hammocks, it isn't really about hammocks; like "paddling trips with hammockers" isn't really about hammocks. Group Hangs are great, but the purpose of this forum is to increase hammock knowledge not facilitate social events. We are happy they take place, but they are a by-product of what we do at HF, not what we do.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That particular comment was about all the suggestions in general, and not specific to this one. But like I said, we're discussing this particular suggestion again rather than dismissing it outright...because it's close enough to our primary focus that we keep Trip Planning in the open forums to begin with.

But I also agree with everything Cannibal said. We're happy the hangs take place, and we're happy that the HF community enjoys meeting up...that's both a cause and an effect of the online environment here. But it's still not our primary focus.

Also, consider the people who use hammocks but don't go camping. As Cannibal pointed out, there's a reason I didn't say "hammock camping."
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I am glad the owners are discussing and considering the idea. We often tell newbies the best way to learn is to try, what a better way to facilitate the primary focus of the forum, "to increase hammock knowledge" by making it even easier for others to see other products/ideas and learn in person. I would think that group hangs would be a hands on experience which would fulfill the forum's primary focus to "increase hammock knowledge".

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    I have been on the forums for 2 years now and was just a looker for about a year before that. I don't post much as I'm more of a reader than a poster. The wealth of information here is amazing and the knowledge base is even more amazing. This is the place I came to find out about hammocks and how I would use one in my own means. Although once only about information, now I come more for the community and I have seen this forum become quite the community.

Now I don't know what gets talked about behind closed doors, thats not my business. I can only add my 2 cents..

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Let me add my opinion if I may, as I've not stated it yet, simply attempted to pass along information as I understood it.

I for one am not opposed to further organization of the forums in what ever form that may take, be it less or more sub forums. I am however opposed to putting any extra work load upon the mods here as they already have a difficult enough job as it is being a group of volunteers who love to spend just as much, if not more, time in their hammocks as the rest of us. While I agree it is not always the easiest thing to search the forums for information you may be looking for, be it group hangs nearby or the latest suspension method for your tarp, a little more effort on the searchers part is often rewarded with more info than you expected. (And remember that you can use Google to search HF.)

I've found out about group hangs near enough that I could have attended after the fact many times. And while it sucked to miss the time to fellowship with my fellow hangers I know that I will have another opportunity in the future. Heck, I still haven't been to an "official" group hang yet, and I've been around here for nearly 2 years and seemingly live in the freaking epicenter of hammock land. In fact the only other hangers I've camped with have been the Gorge Rats and even all of them aren't hangers.

I also worry about unintended consequences of regional forums such as separating members from each other. Right now we are all hangers and we all come together at various places around the globe. Once we break that up there becomes a subconscious block in peoples minds that makes them tend to stay in their "place". Sub forums could turn out to be mental fences that some never cross. Part of the magic of the group hangs is that everyone is invited no matter who they are, or where they are from and, as I stated in my previous post, many people do travel quite far for group hangs. So instead of saying, "Hey everyone in Virginia let's get together for a group hang." Say, "Hey everyone I would like to have a group hang in Virginia, who wants to come? All's invited!" Which would you rather go to?

And it seems simple enough to say that it wouldn't add much to the mods work load to have sub forums. But you have to remember that then would need to go through each of the sub forums and ensure that each thread is in the right place. To one person Maryland might be considered South East. To another North East. To another Mid Atlantic. And still others from outside of the US are wondering the whole time "Where is this Mary Land? Are the people always happy? And if so how come they spell it wrong?"

Just my rambling thoughts on the discussion at hand.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

The goal of HF is to discuss hammocks. Not to discuss stoves with other hammockers. Not to discuss rock-climbing or paddling trips with hammockers. It's to discuss hammocks. Everything else is secondary
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

Where in Jeff's quote did you see the word "camping"? Camping is a thing done with hammocks, it isn't really about hammocks; like "paddling trips with hammockers" isn't really about hammocks. Group Hangs are great, but the purpose of this forum is to increase hammock knowledge not facilitate social events. We are happy they take place, but they are a by-product of what we do at HF, not what we do.
    I know I'm guilty of a bit of thread drift here, but now I'm confused, because on the forum home page it says this:» "Welcome to Hammock Camping Forums
    Welcome to the Hammock Camping and hammock discussion web site.

If you are looking for a place to discuss hammocks, hammock gear and hammock accessories to use for hammock camping, you have come to the right place.

Our discussions include such things as Do It Yourself projects on how to make hammock stands, home made hammocks, accessory gear for hammocks and much more.

Come in and join the fun. Once you have spent time in a hammock you will never go back to tent camping."

So although you are telling us now the intent of the site is to discuss hammocks, that appears to be secondary to discussing hammock camping as per the above referenced welcome. I have always thought this was in fact a hammock camping forum first and foremost, and a hammock's in general forum secondary. Certainly the amount of threads that are about other than hammock camping would lead you to believe that few are here to discuss the sweet new Brazilian hammock they've just hung in their bedroom.

Don't get me wrong, I love HF I spend hours and hours here. I feel its fairly moderated and even well "self policed" , but I have just never thought the main thrust here wasn't hammock camping
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'll deal with any way the site owners want to go.

However, my experience on mountain biking forums with regional, state or local sub-forums is that I rarely look at the discussions in the non-local forums and miss a lot of info as a result (granted these sub-forums cover all topics and not just trip planning).

On HF, I'm "forced" to scan through thread titles from out of my area and as a result, stop and read about some of the goings on outside of my area (to my benefit).

I am intrigued by the idea of adding a single sticky to the "Trip Planning" sub-forum with a fixed number of regional threads for the announcement/linking of new trip planning threads. This would make it easier for the occasional viewer to find area hangs and subscribe, while everything else stays the same for frequent visitors that like to scan through all of the titles.

What I would most like to see, is a continuing concerted effort to have all planning thread titles start with the state. How can we help with this?

Good luck dividing the regions to everyone's liking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast