Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Did you use a new piece of rope for this test or had it already been subject to high loads?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Did you use a new piece of rope for this test or had it already been subject to high loads?
    The test that was wrapped around itself and still broke was a fresh rope. But even if it wasn't I should be able to lift 700 pounds repeatedly with 1100 pound test rope.
    Last edited by Dutch; 06-06-2007 at 15:14.

Hammock
    DIY speer
    Tarp
    OES hex cat
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Suspension
    webbing w/huggers
    I'd be interested in knowing the real limits, but we can probably assume from these tests that it's probably around 500lbs. I've never purchased this cord as it seems very expensive (like everything else BPL sells), but I'd given it seriously consideration before due to its size, weight, and supposed strength. After these tests, it's unreasonable to find more ways to keep the cord from breaking, as a load rating of 1100lbs would imply some safety factor. If the cord breaks repeatedly at 650lbs, there's no excuse that can be made for it. Knots aren't the problem, especially if the rope breaks outside the knot. The cord is the problem. I'm not saying that the cord is useless, since cord that small shouldn't be reasonably expected to hold a thousand pounds, but there is certainly a problem if the product has a load rating which is twice its actual strength and the price reflects this false claim. These casual tests make the price seem even more of a travesty. I will mention that BPL staff themselves use these "AirCore" cords in the field and seem very happy with their performance, but I guess they've never done any strength tests other than bear-hanging and tarp tie-downs. Too bad.

My own past experiences with BPL's customer service were great, but my last need for service was a few years ago when they were smaller (they'd just opened, in fact). They've grown a lot since then and perhaps haven't been able to keep up. I will mention that I just received an e-mail announcing that they now have a toll-free order and support number. I don't know if this implies anything at all about their support staff, though. The number is only for members at present, but they plan to make it public soon.

OT: I actually like BPL for some things, but I do grimmace when a business calls it's subscribers "Premium" members. Who are the non-premium members, I wonder? Can I be one of those and pay less? I must be an awesome guy, because all my credit card companies always tell me I'm one of their "most valued customers" and BPL calls me a "Premium" member.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Hey kank,

Welcome to the forums. I just noticed you are from Winchester. Howdy neighbor!
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My own past experiences with BPL's customer service were great, but my last need for service was a few years ago when they were smaller (they'd just opened, in fact). They've grown a lot since then and perhaps haven't been able to keep up. I will mention that I just received an e-mail announcing that they now have a toll-free order and support number. I don't know if this implies anything at all about their support staff, though. The number is only for members at present, but they plan to make it public soon.
    I e-mailed BPL last week and blasted them because they would not get back to me time and time again. They apologized and said they were waiting to here back from the manufacturer via their distributor. (I now know why they are so expensive.) I was kind of harsh in my e-mail and they said I can keep the cord and they will refund my money and I can keep the cord. Then......they never got back to me again. I am giving them some more time, but I am really fed up with their customer service. They should have had this cord tested at an independent lab before they sold it. Now that they know there is a problem they should stop selling it until they can confirm no one will be injured by their product. Most importantly they should return e-mails of customer questions and complaints.

Hangers be weary of using this cord for main support. I tried to build to 1000 pound test and believed the stated ratings. I doubled up mine until I can frind a replacement. I will probably look into some of the suggestions from this post.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME '03

Images
    hey dutch, if you want to look for some new anchor rope, check out www.apsltd.com. they have the biggest selection that i have found...Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I e-mailed BPL last week and blasted them because they would not get back to me time and time again. They apologized and said they were waiting to here back from the manufacturer via their distributor. (I now know why they are so expensive.) I was kind of harsh in my e-mail and they said I can keep the cord and they will refund my money and I can keep the cord. Then......they never got back to me again. I am giving them some more time, but I am really fed up with their customer service. They should have had this cord tested at an independent lab before they sold it. Now that they know there is a problem they should stop selling it until they can confirm no one will be injured by their product. Most importantly they should return e-mails of customer questions and complaints.

Hangers be weary of using this cord for main support. I tried to build to 1000 pound test and believed the stated ratings. I doubled up mine until I can frind a replacement. I will probably look into some of the suggestions from this post.

Peace Dutch
    GA>ME '03

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks warbonnetguy, I checked them out and they do have a large selection.

Peace Dutch

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hey dutch, if you want to look for some new anchor rope, check out www.apsltd.com. they have the biggest selection that i have found...Brandon
    Hey Brandon,
    What of APL's would you recommend for a ridgeline? I weigh 210 and it will be going on a Speer type hammock.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hey Brandon,
    What of APL's would you recommend for a ridgeline? I weigh 210 and it will be going on a Speer type hammock.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    To answer that question you are going to have to determine how you hang the hammock with a ridgeline, how much sag you want in the hammock, how tight you pull the suspension when hanging. You can get an idea of the force on the ridgeline from the equation posted on this thread.

scan down and you will find the equation for the force knowing the angles.

How much sag in the hammock do you like? If you have tested a HH ULBA, then that is about 30 deg. Do you like more or less sag?

When hanging with a structural ridgeline, do you pull the suspension real tight or leave real loose?

Once you have thought about those questions, then someone can compute the forces for you and recommend a rating for the ridgeline cord. Until then, any recommendation would really be a shot in the dark and to be safe they would have to recommend a high rating that may be much higher than you really need.

I use on my ridgeline on the hammock that I like a sag angle of about 60 deg, a cord rated at 1000 lbf - the 3/32" Crystalyne, green. You can easily use that cord for your ridge line. 3/32" is the smallest you are going to get from Annapolis Performance Sailing and the Crystalyne is a good price. If you want to use something smaller, then the BPL dyneema guyline cord would be good for a rating at 563 lbf (but there seems to be a question about the real rating of the BPL stuff). But before you use the BPL guy line cord, think about those angles and make a stab at computing some forces to satisfy yourself.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I like the 1.8 mm Spyderline for a ridgeline. Just my personal preference though. You could also use the 2.8mm.

Just my .02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234