No-See-Um No More Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    $5 blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Places to hang in Alabama

I'm looking for some good places to do a 1 night trip in alabama. We've been to the Sipsey tons of times and are just wanting to try some different areas. Something maybe within 2-3 hours of birmingham.

Any of you Alabama hangers got any suggestions?
    ----
    “Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit” -Edward Abbey

http://www.camptalk.net
    http://www.thelegacyranch.com
    http://www.johnbiddle.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There's about 180 miles worth of the Pinhoti Trail hiking in AL. Almost all is very camp friendly. Plenty of opportunity to make 'loops' in the Cheaha area, without doing an out and back or multiple cars.

Or if you have canoes or kayaks there's like 631 miles of the Alabama Scenic River Trail. And that doesn't include the Tallapoosa, which is campable along its entire length.

What about Little River Canyon, or Walls of Jericho, etc? Even the Cohuttas in GA are within your stated driving range.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Like Sparrow said, the Cohuttas are near. They are the closets "real" mountains to you, and about as wild as it can get in the east. The river trails (Jacks & Conasauga) are pleasant even in the heat.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    AS has done a great job of listing some of the most beautiful areas to hike and camp in Alabama.

JB:
    highly recommend the Cheaha area for overnighters........Look up the Turnipseed Hunters Camp. This is a good place to park the car and you can hike out to the Pinhoti, or over to lake Chinnabee from there. Both are great hikes and can be done as an in and out overnight.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Conecuh National Forest in Andalusia. A little farther than you might like but a great two day hike. It's my local spot and I like it. Summer hiking and camping could be rough however. Definitely bring the bugnet. Beautiful pine stands and very dark.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    Conecuh National Forest in Andalusia. A little farther than you might like but a great two day hike. It's my local spot and I like it. Summer hiking and camping could be rough however. Definitely bring the bugnet. Beautiful pine stands and very dark.
    +1 on it being rough in the summer. The mosquitoes at Blue Pond nearly carried me away last year. However, it is the best spot in the state for stargazing. The terrain is flat and super easy, albeit a little dull at times. You can hike the trail and camp in the rec area and have some nice facilities if you so desire.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    As pointed out lots of areas with in 3 hrs of B'ham. I'm just getting back into hiking/camping, but my brother and I did lots of it years ago.... Recently did a loop in the cheaha wilderness area, and as said there are lots of loop possibilities there...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    you've got to try the Pinhoti----its definitly hammock country! One of my favorites is to park at the Cheah trail head at Cheah state park, and hike to mcdill point, either on the Pinhoti or the cave creek trail. Its a really beautiful area, and there is lots to do and see! However, this is not the best time to go on the Pinhoti---I'd wait until fall when it cools off a bit! (but for winter, fall and spring, you can't beat it!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    you've got to try the Pinhoti----its definitly hammock country! One of my favorites is to park at the Cheah trail head at Cheah state park, and hike to mcdill point, either on the Pinhoti or the cave creek trail. Its a really beautiful area, and there is lots to do and see! However, this is not the best time to go on the Pinhoti---I'd wait until fall when it cools off a bit! (but for winter, fall and spring, you can't beat it!)
    Heading there Monday morning with a hiking buddy and hiking that exact route. Whoo, it's gonna be hot. But I'd rather be sweltering in the wilderness than comfortable behind a desk. Which is where I am the rest of the time.

Cheaha, Little River, Claude d. Kelley

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast