WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing

Soft Fabric for Home Hanging?

So I've got a Grand Trunk that I picked up last year on an REI closeout sale. It's a deep blue fabric with a nice hand, and has little diamond patterns in it. Breaths really well.

I just can't get to sleep in it no matter how I set it up.

So I'm thinking about making a double-wide type extra wide hammock so I can try more of a diagonal/flatter lay. Maybe then I can do some home hanging and actually sleep (not just read a book).

Any suggestions on some soft hand fabric I could try out? I don't want to guess and test fabric from JoAnne, so I'm hoping someone can point something out they have experience with.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm very excited to get my vintage thread injector warmed up and start making some projects again!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Supplex, (a nylon microfiber fabric) would be my hands down favorite for a nylon fabric. But it is heavier than some other options. I would also suggest a polyester taffeta. Still heavier than 1.1 rip stop but very comfortable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    LR.
    For at home hanging I did away with synthetics, for a few reasons.
    First off was the noise. Every time I moved, the fabric would "zippp" and my Mrs. did not approve. I found a firm fabric, with no stretch, and it has been a silent sleeper for me and momma.
    Weight wasn't an issue since your hanging it home and not packing it.

So find a fabric that feels good, offers low static charge (trust me, theres a polyester lightning bolt on some fabrics!), low/zero stretch and have at it. Wide 60" fabric my fav.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I have a silk fabric for my home hanging and it's really nice.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Supplex, (a nylon microfiber fabric) would be my hands down favorite for a nylon fabric. But it is heavier than some other options. I would also suggest a polyester taffeta. Still heavier than 1.1 rip stop but very comfortable.
    Rev, that was my thought as well...but then Gargoyle said...

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    LR.
    For at home hanging I did away with synthetics, for a few reasons.
    First off was the noise. Every time I moved, the fabric would "zippp" and my Mrs. did not approve. I found a firm fabric, with no stretch, and it has been a silent sleeper for me and momma.
    Weight wasn't an issue since your hanging it home and not packing it.

So find a fabric that feels good, offers low static charge (trust me, theres a polyester lightning bolt on some fabrics!), low/zero stretch and have at it. Wide 60" fabric my fav.
    Which makes complete sense. Though I'll probably be sleeping alone in the basement...it does stand to reason that a soft, non-zippy fabric would be nice in the silence of my man-cave.

Oh, which makes me think...I had this Bamboo fabric sheet I got a while back...I was going to give it to the dog when we wore it out...I'm wondering if I still have that. I bet it would work well.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    LR, my 1st and now nightly indoor hammock was from Hancock's and at the time of purchase was an unknown fabric. I was new and experimenting and just went by feel and weight. I've since found that it was sport nylon, very soft and comfortable against the skin. My wife has been mentioning a hammock for her and a fabric I like the feel of is the polyester microsuedes. The polyester Taffeta the Ramblinrev mentioned also feels good. Mostly I'm looking on the sale tables. With discount coupons some of these fabrics will go for $2.00 or less. The polyester 'hang free lining' I am working with now for a new hiking hammock was discontinued and $1.95/yd.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    LR I did not send my original post. I started to write a post for _indoor use only_ but then realized that you did not specify that in the body of your op.

For Indoor Use Only the world is your oyster. Ditch the Nylon. In fact... I would ditch the syntehtics except for one exception which I will get to.

Pima cotton is what very high quality sheets are mode of. It is wonderful stuff. But don't overlook things like "top weight" silk. (Top weight being for shirts blouses etc.) Just don't tell the clerks what you want it for. They will try to talk you out of it. But they don't understand hammocks. _HOWEVER_ take a deep breath cause _wowzers_ that's gonna be an expensive hammock. Luxurious but pricey.

Here's the exception to the synthetics.. Polyester Crepe de Chein is very much like top weight silk and very much cheaper.

Otherwise a lovely cotton (Pima or similar high grade) will suffice. But if I wanted to splurge on a hammock for indoor use only... I'd bite the bullet and go silk.

Edit: One other thing... many natural fibers don't come 60" wide. Don't let that freak you out. You can add panels to the sides with a flat felled seam or a topstiched french seam to the get the desired width. 18" on each side will bring you roughly to the width of the ENO doublenest. As long as the panels are added to the side the seams are not a big issue.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 07-27-2011 at 11:31.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Awesome, great info, thanks everyone!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    QChan, which silk did you go with?

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Here are a few possibilities you might be interested in.

My very first indoor hammock was a diy made from a high thread-count (450 tpi?) all-cotton flat sheet from a closeout store. Slept in it every night for a few years with no problems. Eminently washable and happened to be a beautiful burgundy color.

My first "winter" indoor hammock was made with a very soft, tightly woven, double-thick wool blanket I got in Peru in the late '60's. Now THAT's a comfy hammock! I still use it and love it. Been washed many times. No UQ needed.

I also made one for a friend a couple of years ago from a fancy-woven cotton matelasse she found at a thrift store in perfect condition. She still sleeps in it all the time. Washable, soft, attractive. I think I'll make one for me, too.

Another choice for a soft-finish fabric might be cotton Monk's cloth in 2x2 or 4x4 weave, also called Aida (I think). Looks like a thermal-weave cotton blanket (which also could work well, maybe doubled, depending on your weight). I'd stay away from canvas or duck (too stiff for me).

I agree, real silk would be very fine indeed! I NEED a silk one!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast