Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition

Pad sufficient for Colorado in August?

I'm planning to hammock camp for the first time this August in southern Colorado (Pagosa Springs area). Looks like temps won't be down below 40s. Will a sleeping pad be enough to keep warm (with sleeping bag of course)? Or maybe even just a survival blanket?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A pad will do you fine at those temps out here.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Depends on the pad and the rest of your setup. It certainly can be done with a pad. Tell us more about your setup & how you generally situate your hang with regards to windbreaks, exposure, etc.

Where do you intend to use the survival blanket (over you, under you, with a pad, over our sleeping bag)?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    This is a FIRST time hang for me EVER, and first time camping in S Colorado. So I don't know how to answer your questions about windbreaks, exposure etc. This is what I DO know. I just purchased a Hennessy Expedition and have been looking at various pads (Therma-Rest Z lite, Stansport Pad, Therma-Rest self-inflating), but have not made a purchase until I get an idea of what I will need for this trip. I assumed that the survival blanket would go under me or my pad.
    Thanks for the help!

Images
    I wouldn't spend a lot on a pad. The simple blue wallyworld pads works great.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I wouldn't spend a lot on a pad. The simple blue wallyworld pads works great.
    If you'd consider spending nearly $100 on a pad, you should look at a partial underquilt instead. Otherwise OutandBack said it right, Blue CF from Wallyworld!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sray61 View Post
    This is a FIRST time hang for me EVER, and first time camping in S Colorado. So I don't know how to answer your questions about windbreaks, exposure etc. This is what I DO know. I just purchased a Hennessy Expedition and have been looking at various pads (Therma-Rest Z lite, Stansport Pad, Therma-Rest self-inflating), but have not made a purchase until I get an idea of what I will need for this trip. I assumed that the survival blanket would go under me or my pad.
    Thanks for the help!
    Unless you already own one of those pads, as others said, don't go that route from the word go with a hammock. You don't want to spend a lot for a pad to be used in a hammock.

First of all, the Expedition is a single layer hammock, correct? You might well have a real difficult time using any pad- especially a slippery pad- inside that hammock. Many have. If you have a hammock with a grippy enough and wide enough surface, you might can make it a happy experience for you.

2nd, you don't need cushioning from a pad inside a hammock like you do on the ground. The hammock is your cushion. All you need is insulation. And a cheap WM blue closed cell foam(CCF) pad will do that job- though it may not be wide enough. Or you can order some and cut it to desired dimensions:
    http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html
    http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site...5B848624430181

General hammock/pad info:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200802211...leFoamPads.htm

The only advantage to an inflatable pad I can think of is if you had to sleep on the ground, for superior cushioning. But if you are going to spend much on an inflatable pad, you might want to consider some type of UQ. If money is an issue, a HH Super Shelter has worked well for me, especially if you can get a used one or catch a sale. Or a Climashield UQ from AHE.
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1015891

An SPE- if you can find one or make one- or a double layer hammock with a pad pocket- makes pad use in a hammock much more enjoyable, or at least tolerable. This is just my personal opinion. But unless cost is the main factor, I would not go out and buy a pad for the main purpose of using in an Expedition. If I did go the pad route, I would go with the much cheaper- and probably warmer for a given weight- CCF pad. If you can get or make an SPE, you can stack ( if temps demand- prob not needed in CO in Aug) 1 WM full length pad plus a cut out shorter section under the torso area, and be warm to quite cold temps, probably for less than $20 worth of pads. But you can get better quality by ordering from above links.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17792
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-28-2011 at 17:52.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Thanks so much for all the input!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    For another 20$ you could get on of Leigh's mighty fine summer quilts. It will keep your shoulders warm. It does get pretty chilly at night there.

http://leighlounderquilts.webs.com/pricingorderinfo.htm
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    For another 20$ you could get on of Leigh's mighty fine summer quilts. It will keep your shoulders warm. It does get pretty chilly at night there.

http://leighlounderquilts.webs.com/pricingorderinfo.htm
    Another $20? I guess that is comparing to some of the more expensive pads? Because those quilts are $120 to $150. A WM blue pad is, I'm not sure- 10 or 15 bucks?

Still, those quilts do look nice especially for the price!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast