Dutch hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    HG Underquilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    All my hammocks are meant to go unnoticed, to blend into the scenery. browns and greens
    only time I can be Located, is when my brothers "the ground dweller" joins me with his bright orange single man taco shell.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    I have yet to come across another hammock camper down here (SoCal) in the wilderness, but I've met 1 or 2 in gear shops. We're out here and...

...be on the look out for a SoCal hang sometime this spring or early summer. (I hope to plan one with a few CA guys.)

I started using a hammock just about a year ago. Most people look at me sideways when I proudly announce I'm a hammock fan. They don't "get it" until they hop into one. If you want to convert someone to hammock camping, go on a trip with them and have them try your rig out. Then, when you sleep blissfully in your hammock and they sleep on the ground--voila!--you have a new convert. Everyone who has laid down in my hammock loves it. They just need to get around to buying/making one.

Michael (SoCal Mike)
    We seriously need to get the SoCal folks out for a hang sometime soon. I'm actually headed to Henninger Flats this weekend to test some gear but I'm most definitely up for a group hang of sorts. A scouted an area a couple weekends ago up in the West Fork area of the San Gabriel's and found some really nice spots.

Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post
    We seriously need to get the SoCal folks out for a hang sometime soon. I'm actually headed to Henninger Flats this weekend to test some gear but I'm most definitely up for a group hang of sorts. A scouted an area a couple weekends ago up in the West Fork area of the San Gabriel's and found some really nice spots.
    Excellent! Is there snow out where you're headed? I imagine the end of April might be good? I know you and I discussed doing some planning a while back, so please let me know what I can do to help.

Michael

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    After the rain we're getting this weekend, there supposedly will be snow around 2000 ft. elevation...hopefully it's true. Either way, rain or shine, I will be at Henninger Flats in Altadena this weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Another So Cal Hiker here

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd chime in.

I'm very much a hanging noob, only 1 overnight in the Eno so far (Spruce Grove).
    Since then, all my ground dwelling backpacking trips have kept me on the lookout for spots to hang. My past few trips have been into The Sespe Wilderness area.
    I have to say, some areas get pretty sparse on hanging options, especially if you're traveling with ground dwellers. Sites start to be an either/or scenario.
    I've also noticed many of the shorter potential trees grow almost like bushes, it'd be a fight through dead wood to get at their stubby trunks.
    I've found decent trees with moderate consistency near water.
    Guess I'm still a little worried about hanging in territory I haven't scouted as a ground dweller.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd chime in.

I'm very much a hanging noob, only 1 overnight in the Eno so far (Spruce Grove).
    Since then, all my ground dwelling backpacking trips have kept me on the lookout for spots to hang. My past few trips have been into The Sespe Wilderness area.
    I have to say, some areas get pretty sparse on hanging options, especially if you're traveling with ground dwellers. Sites start to be an either/or scenario.
    I've also noticed many of the shorter potential trees grow almost like bushes, it'd be a fight through dead wood to get at their stubby trunks.
    I've found decent trees with moderate consistency near water.
    Guess I'm still a little worried about hanging in territory I haven't scouted as a ground dweller.
    Welcome TheQ! I know what you mean, especially around Los Padres and Sespe.

Since you're in LA, you should consider backpacking around the San Gabriel Wilderness or Angeles National Forest areas...there's no shortage of trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123