Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm visualizing those mean little old ladies making you buy cotton thread...
    I almost did it, they reminded me of nuns. Granted, I'm not catholic, but I've heard stories.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Better thread than Guterman?

I found the following section on Kite Sewing 101

Thread: One of the most critical components of sewing and most often overlooked.

* Friends don't let friends sew with anything from Coats & Clark.
    * Using a Thread Stand (properly) is strongly recommended. Available at JoAnn Fabrics, The Fabric Place, Hancock Fabric, Wal-Mart and other notions stores.
    * Overlock and serger cone thread is cheap and breaks very easily. It is okay for satin stitching appliqué on flag cloth (not ripstop) but nothing else.
    * Mettlers Metrosene, Güterman, or Mölnlycke polyester threads are acceptable substitutes but are made from many short yarns and fuzz up the inside of the machine.
    * Color matching: Not always a good road to start down.
    o Mettlers Metrosene, Güterman, Mölnlycke, polyester threads often different colors have different diameters, different tension settings. Must re-tension every time colors change.
    o Make sure thread is 'color fast'. Some 'bleed' when wet.
    * An easy way to 'color match' thread to fabric is to color it later with Sharpies (permanent magic markers).

* BEST threads are HB (or HSB) 33 nylon or V 30 polyester.
    o These are commercial grade threads. They have very consistent diameters and run very clean. They are very strong for their diameter.
    o Polyester thread is a little softer than nylon. Polyester has better UV resistance than Nylon. Nylon is a little stiffer than polyester.
    o The numbers are based on 'denier' Denier is a French term denoting the weight in grams of 9,000 meters of the thread. In other words, the bigger the number, the thicker (and stronger) the thread. The numbers we see on the thread are the Textile Numbers, or 'T' numbers, and are 1/10 of the denier. Kite makers use (textile) 30 or 33 in most applications, which is a 300 or 330 denier. 46 in some places. Hot Air Balloons and parachutes are sewn with threads in the 150 range. ( **Hint: They are sewing RIPSTOP NYLON using thread more than 4 times the size of ours… What size needle do you think THEY use? What does that do to the 'big needles damage the ripstop' argument?)
    o These threads are available from kite making supply houses like those listed at the end of this page.

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm going to see if the LFS has some polyester Gutermans for the short term, and then order some thread from Ed for the long term. (but then I have to make a thread stand to go with it). Thanks!
    I've got the CD case for the stand

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Better thread than Guterman?
    I found the following section on Kite Sewing 101
    That's great! Thanks. Good info.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Redtail, thanks for the intel, I appreciate it. I returned my thread today and will go get something better in the next couple days.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I purchased a 6000 yard spool from thru-hiker - wouldn't get another

The quality isn't what I would call good. It seems to be strong enough, but the diameter of the thread isn't consistent. There are lots of places on the thread where the thread is thicker. Those spots cause thread to strip off an build up on the needle. After a while the thread just breaks. This is really bad on something like Velcro where the backing is somewhat stiff.

Images
    Gutternun at Jo Ann Fabrics for me. I have went through 2-3k meters and don't have any complaints. Not the cheapest thread, but you get what you pay for.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I've got the CD case for the stand
    Ed's thread stand is great. I made one. I just took and old coat hanger and an old cd case.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've never had a problem with the stuff from Thru-Hiker...which means, of course, that I have an opinion contrary to TeeDee's again I don't like Gutermann's because it has a sort of coating on it, which (in my experience) tends to clog a machine.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I've never had a problem with the stuff from Thru-Hiker...which means, of course, that I have an opinion contrary to TeeDee's again I don't like Gutermann's because it has a sort of coating on it, which (in my experience) tends to clog a machine.
    My experiance is exacty the opposite....I've sewn several miles of gutermann thread on simple home style machines and never had a build up or clog..... One of our JRB sub contractors has sewn several times that amount with a Juki and never had a clog.....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast