Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Thanks for the report, Lost_Biker and glad you survived.
    Your sock probably would have faired better if the tarp had held up to shield it from the wind.

I have a question. After you added the zipper door, did you sew up the TED style opening at the top? In the picture, it looks as if the top is still open and the wind got in there and stretched the shock cord. Is that what happened?
    I finally decided to sew the top closed and just use the zipper for entry/exit. During high winds, the top of the sock would open enough to become a parachute. I still like the TED method, but in cold windy conditions here in the mid west, it doesn't work well.

I also just like the zipper so much more now -- it's 7' long and lets me vent a little or a lot or just peek outside. I can turn it (the hammock) away from the wind unlike the top that catches the wind from any angle. It doesn't seem to affect condensation much. The little I get is caught by my breath mask thingie.

I can still step into the inside of the sock for clothes changing or to store stuff in the bottom portion of the sock. The water proof bottom works awesome in the snow - dwr material can still get wet if it contacts snow. I store my boots inside and while they're still cold in the morning, it's not near the cold shock in the morning if I left them outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Awesome! Thanks Lost_Biker for continuing to test and report your experiences.
    I have been sitting on the fence with materials in hand for a sock, but couldn't decide between a TED opening or a zippered opening. You just pushed me off the fence to the side of the zippered opening!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Awesome! Thanks Lost_Biker for continuing to test and report your experiences.
    I have been sitting on the fence with materials in hand for a sock, but couldn't decide between a TED opening or a zippered opening. You just pushed me off the fence to the side of the zippered opening!!
    Yeah, that last snow storm convinced me really quick. The biggest plus for the zipper is being able to leave it open or partially open - then close it quickly if needed. If I was in an area that didn't have such high winds, I would keep both TED and zipper. They each have they're good points.

So get busy and take lots of pictures!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    It finally went down to 7* last night. I did get some condensation - all on my breath mask - and it froze solid. I carefully checked under my quilts, but no moisture. I have to say those "breath catchers" really work! Sorry for the confusion in correct names - frost bib? is what it's actually called - just a piece of scrap fleece hung in front of my face. I did have a wet spot where it contacted my clothing just below my neck.

So I'll say "TA DA!".

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    It finally went down to 7* last night. I did get some condensation - all on my breath mask - and it froze solid. I carefully checked under my quilts, but no moisture. I have to say those "breath catchers" really work! Sorry for the confusion in correct names - frost bib? is what it's actually called - just a piece of scrap fleece hung in front of my face. I did have a wet spot where it contacted my clothing just below my neck.

So I'll say "TA DA!".
    I'd call that a SUCCESS!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I'd call that a SUCCESS!
    Absolutely. I should be careful for what I wish for - we're buried in snow right now.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Wow, that is some experiment.
    Congrats on the great new gear and (for the moment) perfecting it for your needs!
    It looks great, and the waterproof base/groundsheet is awesome, it's like having a hammock in a t*nt.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Wow, that is some experiment.
    Congrats on the great new gear and (for the moment) perfecting it for your needs!
    It looks great, and the waterproof base/groundsheet is awesome, it's like having a hammock in a t*nt.
    Thank you, craige! It has all the kinks worked out for my uses. I was disappointed about the TED style not working in heavy wind - thats my fault more than anything - I don't need to be out in such weather in an open back yard. All in all, I really like the zipper - even with the added weight.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    looks great

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    looks great
    Thanks otter.

On a side note, I've been seeing others on the forums who have made winter socks and been mightily disappointed by heavy condensation. I don't know what I'm doing different aside from using a frost bib, but I can only figure I don't breath out as much moisture as others. The material I use is 1.1 ripstop seconds with a dwr coating - nothing special there. The bottom is definitely water proof and hangs on the ground most of the time.

I am really sorry others are having problems with their socks. As I've heard in other posts, some are lucky and many aren't. One thing I don't do is snug up the sock around the hammock. If it were blowing rain sideways I would. So whats the deal? I wish I knew.

For my sock, it does have condensation build up below 20* - but since I use the frost bib, it all gets absorbed by the bib material - 'course, I have a wet spot around my neck where the bib goes - it migrates right around it and into my jacket and shirt.

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast