Hammock
    Drooling at the WBBB
    Tarp
    Wanting Superfly
    Insulation
    Will use Themarest
    Suspension
    will adjustableweb
    right, but I have 2 years to earn enough money to hike, and buy gear. So, I'm looking for experienced advice.

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    right, but I have 2 years to earn enough money to hike, and buy gear. So, I'm looking for experienced advice.

Cool, you have a long time to try lots of gear, which should help. The best advice that I can give you is, trying the gear out in the field and see what works best for you, not other people.

You will want lightweight gear, that I can tell you for certain. If you want any help with that, send me a PM and I'll give you all the info you want and then some.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Anybody tried the large Neo pad in the BB double pocket? Does it fit? Seems to me that this would be a good option, although might not be as warm as the downmat, but plenty light and comfy according to the great reviews its been getting.

Frankly, I would gladly carry the downmat if its what got me a great night's sleep. As I get older, that becomes more key to overall enjoyment than weight does. For my setup, I carry a BA Insulated short as my just in case insulation or pad for ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Anybody tried the large Neo pad in the BB double pocket? Does it fit? Seems to me that this would be a good option, although might not be as warm as the downmat, but plenty light and comfy according to the great reviews its been getting.

Frankly, I would gladly carry the downmat if its what got me a great night's sleep. As I get older, that becomes more key to overall enjoyment than weight does. For my setup, I carry a BA Insulated short as my just in case insulation or pad for ground.

Why put an airpad in a hammock? It would make it rigid if you inflate it and if you don't inflate it, you might as well use a CCF pad.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The first reason is that I hate carrying the bulk of a CCF pad. I started with the pad before I got an UQ, and having used both the CCF, a regular TRest, and the inflatable pad; the latter to me was much more comfy. I found I had more pressure point discomfort with the CCF pad. I typically fully inflate the pad which makes for a flatter lay. That said, I really like my UQ!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    The first reason is that I hate carrying the bulk of a CCF pad. I started with the pad before I got an UQ, and having used both the CCF, a regular TRest, and the inflatable pad; the latter to me was much more comfy. I found I had more pressure point discomfort with the CCF pad. I typically fully inflate the pad which makes for a flatter lay. That said, I really like my UQ!!
    Right on!!!

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    I am of the same mind set. Dual mode bedding. My Warbonnet fails all the time, the critical design flaw being it needs too trees to function properly. So I carry a a light bivy as well.

I have a Big Agnes shorty insualted mat (about a pound). Also have a 72" x 40" piece of the foam skin Warbonnet recomends. The foam goes in the hammock sleeve , if it is cold enough the mat goes in too. For ground mode, the bivy goes on top of the foam and the mat goes in the bivy. Works well in both circumstance. I might trade the foam skin in for one

I also have a Downmat DLX, which is like a waterbed. However it is a tad heavy, and it doen not fit in the bivy (bivy has to float on top). I love the thing but only take on relax trips when I know there will be trees.

On long death marches I leave the hammkock at home and only take the bivy. A 2 plus pound hammock? Far too heavy.....it all comes down to personal priorities.

Hammock
    Drooling at the WBBB
    Tarp
    Wanting Superfly
    Insulation
    Will use Themarest
    Suspension
    will adjustableweb
    you are exactly right about prorities... so what I hear is just find out what works for me?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123