Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Christmas at Capitol Reef National Park, and a lot of other nonsense

After leaving New Mexico, I planned on driving to Zion for Christmas, but found out that most of the park was closed just before Christmas, as the roads had flooded out due to the recent rains. So I drove up to Capitol Reef National Park. I had big plans for Capitol Reef, as it is a beautiful but forbidding environment, one of southern Utah's gems that include Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce Canyon and the aforementioned Capitol Reef. These are just the National Parks - southern Utah is loaded with coolness!

I arrived at Capitol Reef on Dec 23rd, and drove in to the campground. 2 of the 3 loops at the Fruita campground were closed. The third loop was, well, not very hammock friendly. Finding two trees that weren't 20 feet apart or right on the road was not possible. The campground is very open, laid out for motor homes more or less. I made it work for one late night crash, but I would not recommend staying at the Fruita campground in Capitol Reef. As a matter of fact, they have a rule that hammocks are only allowed during daylight hours and in a way that will not damage trees. I didn't get hassled, but I was the only one in the entire campground the night I stayed there, and maybe in the entire park the two nights I was there.

I woke up in the morning, and went to the visitor center. Very helpful, and I found out there were two primitive campgrounds, but only one of them was sometimes available to 2 wheel drive vehicles. Most of the park requires a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get around in. I bee-lined to Cedar Mesa campground on the south end of the park. It took me a long time to get there, as the road crosses several washes, and 2 of them in particular almost stopped me. I bounced around, bottomed out and nearly got stuck in the slippery clay roads to the campground. Any rain, and I would not have made it - the only other vehicle I saw while I was there was a four wheel drive that turned around at the first wash right as I drove up. But it was a great choice, especially over the commercial style campground at the main entrance. Lots of mature cedars to hang from, decent fire rings, and even a pit toilet. And nobody there, either! I will recommend if anyone goes to this campground to bring your own wood, and lots of it. They seriously frown on you gathering wood due to the sensitive nature of the environment. I had scabbed some free wood at the first campground and brought it down with me. After my fire-less trip to Bandelier, I was looking forward to a Christmas Eve campfire.

I spent the day sorting my gear and studying maps of the park. So many places to hike! Watched the sun go down, lit a campfire. And watched the frost settle. Heavy frost. It was amazing how much frost settled as soon as the sun went down. It was dark, frosty and quiet. The quietest night I have ever spent anywhere at anytime. Not a breath of wind, not a coyote howl, no vehicles, no birds, mice.......... You get the point. Spending Christmas Eve all alone, under mostly clear skies and a nearly full moon with no sounds at all was eerie. It was weird. And I don't recommend it for anyone who is prone to melancholy. It was a very long night before I finally slept. A comfortable night, as I was in my Blackbird with my Burro and my 3-season incubator, but it was one of those nights where you think a lot.

I woke up on Christmas Day to a coating of frost and a sun already up for several hours. I packed up, and headed all the way back to the main park to do some hiking. As I took the trail up to Hickman Natural Bridge for a warmup, the weather changed. Heavy clouds rolled in and a cold wind started howling through the canyons. By the time I returned to the car, the weather had dropped 15*, and so did my mood. I bailed. I got in my car, and just started driving. I needed to be around people.

I made it to Mystic Hot Springs, in Monroe, Utah. Spent the night soaking in the natural mineral water. The owner, Mike, was awesome. Very interested in hammocks, loves hanging in mayan hammocks in the summer. I explained the basics of hammock camping, gave him one of my spare hammocks, showed him some different styles of quilts and I think helped talked him into adding some hammock stands to the campground part of his venture. Nice people.

Left there and started driving. Dirt roads, back highways, Interstates, mountain roads - seen a lot of pavement. The weather has been following me everywhere I go; record lows, rain, snow, wind. Had a 3 day bout with food poisoning. In the past week, I've been through most of Utah, the entire state of Nevada, and now swung back all the way into Colorado. I haven't felt like hanging in any of the weather I've experienced or with any of the crud I've had over the past week, so I am going to head back to the midwest for a few weeks and take stock, help a few people out, get a little R&R, some snowshoeing, a massage or two and then figure out when to hit the road again. I need to repeat this trip when I can hang every night, and do a hike or two with at least one other person. I suppose it could be argued I could have hung every night now, but it sure would make it a lot more enjoyable knowing that you won't wake up EVERY morning to some new cruddy weather. Knowing you have a warm bed to go back to when your trip is over makes it easy; when you don't have that, it gives the traveling a little different feel.

It's been a great trip.
    And it isn't over yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the trip report. To bad it didn't turn out a bit better for you. I was talking to my wife yesterday about taking a trip up to Southern Utah and hitting up those parks. Zion's Narrows has been on my to do list for a while now.

Great report and Pics Fin thanks for sharing! Sounds like it was a great learning trip and wonderful adventure for you! I find that when we are alone during those times of usual family gatherings it puts us in a very different mood, not better, not worse, just different, and I have found that those times help to put things in perspective!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Bigred's custom
    Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Images
    Great trip report!!!
    Bigred

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great pics Fin. Always wanted to get down to that area when i was a climber,,,still looks awesome.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Good stuff my friend ! Recharge those batteries and lets go.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good trip report to go with the pics I saw yesterday, Fin. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Yeah, not being sick, visiting with great people in sunny Denver, and making some decisions has really helped. I mostly drove for the past week because the roads have been either closed or ice/snow covered in the areas I was in, and the sun has t been out at all, which is bad for photography, which was one of my goals. Didn't feel like hiking much without the photography angle to occupy the isolation. It has been a great road trip, with a little hanging. Wish I had done more, but ya takes what you're given, right?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great report and pictures.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Yeah, not being sick, visiting with great people in sunny Denver, and making some decisions has really helped. I mostly drove for the past week because the roads have been either closed or ice/snow covered in the areas I was in, and the sun has t been out at all, which is bad for photography, which was one of my goals. Didn't feel like hiking much without the photography angle to occupy the isolation. It has been a great road trip, with a little hanging. Wish I had done more, but ya takes what you're given, right?
    Aren't you supposed to be driving across Nebraska right now?
    Good to have you visit and do a little showing-off of the gear. Gonna hold you to the things we talked about brother.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast