Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by green1210 View Post
    No they don't, but competitive retailers offer them for some unknown reason. I think I might have slept through that lecture in Marketing 101. I'm getting the feeling some of you did as well.
    True, although I'm terribly curious why a lineman would be taking Marketing 101.

You are comparing mass produced hammocks from two of the hammock behemoths out there....to a start-up? Really? Hennessy and ENO both have lots and lots and lots of leftover stock from the previous year, so they mark it way down to get rid of it. I very much doubt Appalachian Hammocks have more than a few dozen left over at the end of the year. I could be wrong, but it seems logical and reasonable.

You don't seem as interested in talking about a hobby with other enthusiasts as you do criticizing a product you've never tried. More than half of your posts are in this thread and the other two are one line; one about how cheap you got your hammock and the other complimenting dejoha on his art. Based on that, this might be a real good idea:

I'll shut up now.
    PapaSmurf is trying real hard to explain to you in a friendly way how we handle things around here. You might just want to pay attention to what he is saying.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Exp., Eno DN
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    JRB nest, pad
    Suspension
    rap rings
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Just to say, I was very impressed with the quality and forethought put into these products. The owner I met at the Smoked Butt Hang was very friendly and open to suggestions. I do not think that the hammocks are very different or innovative per se, but this is an alternative I'd recommend before I'd look at an ENO. YMMV, but this is my opinion from my first hand experience.

Also as a rock climber for several years, I was used to using wire gate carabiners to reduce weight and have taken many a fall on them from 20' or more and they held just fine. Aren't industrial use and military grade carabiners over designed? Maybe I'm misinformed.

Thank you all for sharing your opinion so that upcoming consumers will be able to see the varying opinions before making their own decision.

A solid gate carbineer is more durable in my opinion. But, why would something over designed be a reason not to use it? I suppose if there was a huge difference in pack weigh it might be an issue.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    industrial use and military grade carabiners
    It is my understanding that these are designed to meet certain OSHA requirements and to keep people from accidentally opening the gate.

Also to the OP, good looking hammock and site. If you get a chance, we would love to have you come down to the Goat Island hang in 2 weeks.
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65529
    Last edited by chickenwing; 05-03-2013 at 10:22.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    HH Exp., Eno DN
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    JRB nest, pad
    Suspension
    rap rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    True, although I'm terribly curious why a lineman would be taking Marketing 101.

You are comparing mass produced hammocks from two of the hammock behemoths out there....to a start-up? Really? Hennessy and ENO both have lots and lots and lots of leftover stock from the previous year, so they mark it way down to get rid of it. I very much doubt Appalachian Hammocks have more than a few dozen left over at the end of the year. I could be wrong, but it seems logical and reasonable.

You don't seem as interested in talking about a hobby with other enthusiasts as you do criticizing a product you've never tried. More than half of your posts are in this thread and the other two are one line; one about how cheap you got your hammock and the other complimenting dejoha on his art. Based on that, this might be a real good idea:

PapaSmurf is trying real hard to explain to you in a friendly way how we handle things around here. You might just want to pay attention to what he is saying.

First off, I have a degree in Economics. Second, you have no business questioning my background. What do you do when you're not be curious? No need to get personal and don't try to puff your chest out on a web forum. Leave that to the middle school girls.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    First off, I have a degree in Economics. Second, you have no business questioning my background. What do you do when you're not be curious? No need to get personal and don't try to puff your chest out on a web forum. Leave that to the middle school girls.
    Welcome to a time-out. Hope you use the time to relax.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Welcome to a time-out. Hope you use the time to relax.
    I will also relax while noting that I just replied to a forum moderator.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This was like watching a train wreck...
    You see it coming from a mile away but you are helpless to do anything about it.
    unlike a train wreck - it made me smile

Thank you mods for helping to keep this place civil and hammock oriented.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    While the Appalachian Hammock is NOT especially groundbreaking in its design, it IS a good hammock from what I've seen of it - comparable to an ENO. Frankly, I'd rather have a hammock that's comparable to one from a big name brand that's made by a cottage vendor who I can speak to directly than one from a major manufacturer if the prices are the same. Discounts go through retailers - not manufacturers. Were AppHammocks available through REI, you could (presumably) use coupons and dividends to get it at the same or a comparable price as an ENO.

The biggest gripe I have is with the tarp - not its construction ('cause frankly, having seen it I REALLY like it) but the fact that for five bucks less you can go to UnderGround and get one from Paul and Missy that includes the tie outs. If AppHammocks were making the tarps themselves (like I believe Paul and Missy do) instead of contracting that particular aspect out, they could possibly lower their production cost and be able to include that little bit extra for a competitive edge.

Also,
    What do you do when you're not be curious?
    ...I wonder what that degree is in - not English, I presume. Love watching people on the internet run face first into a power they cannot comprehend.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Love watching people on the internet run face first into a power they cannot comprehend.
    Especially when that "power" is an HF mod.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    AH DL Custom
    Tarp
    AH Big-Sil
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Man. Sucks to find out my brand new Appalachian hammock and tarp are such a steaming pile of dog poo.

I may be a newbie to hammocking but from what I have seen this is high quality gear. That's just my opinion so take it for what it is. I'm happy with my purchase though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast