DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    How about a utility loop based on the UCR. Built into the adjustable loop on the whoopie sling.....

Hammock
    Hennessy clone
    Tarp
    Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    CCF mat
    Images
    Great thread - thanks to all who have contributed. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone seems to be saying that you need really long whoopie slings to allow for long span hangs (and hence double the amount of rope compared to conventional suspension set ups). I would have thought that the whoopie sling only needs to be as long as the amount of adjustability you desire - for me I'm thinking a couple of feet each end. The length, if required, would come from a single strand of rope from the tree hugger to whoopie sling with whoopie sling attaching to a marlin spike toggle in the single strand of rope.

This is what I'm planning to do on my suspension - am I missing something?
    "I come from a land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder" - Men at Work.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunderhang View Post
    Great thread - thanks to all who have contributed. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone seems to be saying that you need really long whoopie slings to allow for long span hangs (and hence double the amount of rope compared to conventional suspension set ups). I would have thought that the whoopie sling only needs to be as long as the amount of adjustability you desire - for me I'm thinking a couple of feet each end. The length, if required, would come from a single strand of rope from the tree hugger to whoopie sling with whoopie sling attaching to a marlin spike toggle in the single strand of rope.

The whoopie sling goes from your hammock to your toggle. Your toggle goes in the end of your hugger. No need for the single strand of rope.

I get what youre saying though... If you make your huggers long enough, all you need is a loop on the hammock end to attach to the toggle.

I think where the whoopie sling comes in is the adjustability factor. Set your toggle in your hugger, slip the sling over the toggle and make adjustments via the sling, rather than have to re-set the toggle.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    You're spot on, Downunderhang!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunderhang View Post

You're not missing anything. You trade less cord for a little more fiddling to set the toggle at a position so that the limited adjustability your whoopie sling gives you is in a range of lengths from hammock to tree that includes where eventually you hang. And, if indeed you use cord to extend the tree hugger, you need a substantial toggle, not just a trail stick.

I've thought about trying something similar, but for an equivalent amount of fiddling can get a UCR set without the perhaps less-than-obvious placement of the toggle to be sure to get the sweet spot, so haven't tried it myself.

So by all means do it, use it for a while, take pictures, tell us how it works out!

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm just now making whoopie slings (with Amsteel and Dynaglide, respectively) to integrate into my suspension system.

Question #1: how long are people making their straps/huggers for use with the marlinspike? We have some pretty big trees around here and I'd like to have enough strap just in case, which obviously means longer straps. What is the average length folks are taking with them? I'm going to take some Dutch clips with me too.

Question #2: I bought some Dynaglide in the group buy, and I'd like to make whoopie slings for my tarp ridgeline tie-outs (for easy tarp adjustments like centering, etc.). I'm sure someone is using this method, and if so, how are you connecting the whoopie slings to the tree? What method would you use to make the marlinspike, toggle, etc. for your tarp? I thought I saw a video on this at some point, can you point me in the right direction please?

thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Answer #1: I use 6' straps/huggers.

Answer #2: Not inclined to use a whoopie for the tarp since it complicates attachment to the tree.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    NCP, trees and straps will be different lengths accordingly. Use your best judgement for adequate length for the trees in your area. I have two 10' straps, and carry a spare 10' section. We too have some big trees. You can always tie some extra line on to lengthen the tree strap, just put the strap to the backside of the tree. Not the best solution but it will get you thru the night, if needed.

For tying tarp with whoopie, a marlinspike would work here as well. Same as with your hammock. A length of cord with a dead eye in it, goes around the tree, attach marlinspike to the tag (loose) end of this line, and hook on your whoopie, adjust accordingly.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Question #2: I bought some Dynaglide in the group buy, and I'd like to make whoopie slings for my tarp ridgeline tie-outs (for easy tarp adjustments like centering, etc.). I'm sure someone is using this method, and if so, how are you connecting the whoopie slings to the tree? What method would you use to make the marlinspike, toggle, etc. for your tarp? I thought I saw a video on this at some point, can you point me in the right direction please?

thanks.
    I dont think a whoopie for a tarp ridgeline would work. Yes the fixed eye wrapped around and girth hitched to one tree would work fine.

But the other end is going to need some hardware, or a knot/hitch. It would be different if you wanted to carry your ridgeline around with the adjustable end unburied.... and buried it everytime you set it up.

Youre better off splicing a fixed eye in one end...I do both just because... And then adding either a prusik, or you can go with the UCR method for attaching your tarp ridge D-rings.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I dont think a whoopie for a tarp ridgeline would work. Yes the fixed eye wrapped around and girth hitched to one tree would work fine.

But the other end is going to need some hardware, or a knot/hitch. It would be different if you wanted to carry your ridgeline around with the adjustable end unburied.... and buried it everytime you set it up.

Youre better off splicing a fixed eye in one end...I do both just because... And then adding either a prusik, or you can go with the UCR method for attaching your tarp ridge D-rings.
    Thanks for the answers. I guess for the amount of trouble this would be, I'll just stick with my figure 9's for the tarp. The wsling suspension for the hammock is pretty slick. :-) I'm liking it

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 43 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast