Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

Storm Camp

I started a new thread as the Hurricane thread veered in a different direction.

Assuming all goes well I will be hanging and sailing/paddling across Maine this time next year. If another similar storm hits I will probably have a radio and get some warning. OTOH most of the time I will be too far from a motel to use that option.

Right now I'm thinking a sheltered grove of trees checked for widowmakers. I want something to break the wind before it gets to me. Less chance of a blow over making it to the ground in a grove.

I'll probably pitch my tarp low on the weather side and maybe porch mode on the lee. Probably a corner into the wind with some door capability. Maybe only one corner high. Then pitch the cook tarp opposite the high side as a wind break. I'm thinking in really nasty weather not much will be out and about so we ill be closer to everything than normal.

thoughts?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You going to inland or ocean. It will make a difference as to what you can expect.
    Along the shore downeast things can get pretty dicey with waves and swells. Inland not so much. Not to make light of high winds but the 5 years when I was in Maine I think the highest we got was gusts of 60 mph. I was far inland though.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I would try to find a natural windbreak, such as on the leeward side of a hill/mountain or rock formation. the more natural protection the better because high winds not only cause limbs to break and fall but also turn debris on the ground into missile hazards. would rig my superfly as close to the ground as possible and close off the doors. weather permiting I would go full or partial porch mode. time permiting clear away any downed debris near your camp area.

having a weather radio can be nice as well, I use a garmin rhino which is gps/2 way radio/ weather radio, nice for longer trips or trips during known big storms.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are inland stay in the valleys especially if you can be perpendicular to the wind flow. Wind can run up the valleys pretty good, but if it has to cross a mountain range it gets broken up pretty quickly.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You going to inland or ocean. It will make a difference as to what you can expect.
    Along the shore downeast things can get pretty dicey with waves and swells. Inland not so much. Not to make light of high winds but the 5 years when I was in Maine I think the highest we got was gusts of 60 mph. I was far inland though.
    Forgot that part. We will be somewhere between Rangely and Fort Kent so inland. Winds expected 20-30 MPH so away from the shore. Not a coastal type storm surge but not water to travel on if we are on a lake. Trip is mixed lakes and rivers.

+1 on using any natural barriers.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Even more than wind you want to consider the very real danger of flash floods. They can be wicked bad and even more dangerous in some respects than the wind.

FWIW Moosehead Lake had a reputation for being a killer in storms. Take that lake very seriously.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Even more than wind you want to consider the very real danger of flash floods. They can be wicked bad and even more dangerous in some respects than the wind.

FWIW Moosehead Lake had a reputation for being a killer in storms. Take that lake very seriously.
    For sure. Great advice. Maine's soil is well saturated as is...a little bit of rain can cause cause quite a ruckus...careful on them rapids if your going to be on a river.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts