Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First rainfly

First rainfly

Hey guys, I just bought and camped for the first time in an eno double nest. I loved it. I would like to start piecing together a hammock camping set up and try it without a tent. So I figured the next important piece would be the rainfly. I want something on the larger size and low priced, weight is the least important issue.

I have decided on the Hennessy Hex 70D, either the regular or the Monsoon. How will this work with an Eno doublenest? Which would you suggest OR is there another I should be getting instead?

Thanks
    Ryan

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I think the hennessy hex is a great choice. it doesnt even weigh that much. its a great coverage and would easily swallow the eno and keep you nice and dry
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    The Hennessy Hex is about 5oz more than silnylon tarps of the same size, it costs half as much, it is tougher and won't sag as much as a silnylon tarp. It will keep you dry.

So go camping, have fun and start a piggy bank for that 5oz Cuben tarp. Put in $4.50 a week while you try to wear out the Hex

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I have the HH hex polyester version. I definitely recommend it for budget camping. It's not particularly heavy and will keep you dry through the worst of storms (I had a FL thunderstorm and eight, maybe twelve, hours of rain on my first hang, and I stayed bone dry).

I do recommend putting together some self-tensioning tie-outs and a continuous ridgeline, but they're not really needed. They're just nice perks.

It looks like that fly comes with tie-out cord, but no stuff sack or stakes... right?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    It looks like that fly comes with tie-out cord, but no stuff sack or stakes... right?
    If memory serves, that's correct. I don't remember it coming in a stuff sack; that might be different if you're ordering the tarp solo, though. I ordered it as an upgrade over the standard tarp for my Explorer Ultralight. It most definitely doesn't come with stakes.

Personally, I recommend getting either mesh snakeskins made for it (there's a rather nice lady hanging around who does that...let me see if I can find her with a quick search...ah, here we are. Mountaingoat sells them for a very reasonable price, or there're DIY instructions here), or making your own mesh stuff sack (I have no-sew instructions with materials costing less than $10 US here).

Also, depending on terrain, I recommend "Y" stakes over the shepherd's crook style; the tarp's big and only has four stake-out points. YMMV on this one, though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I think the hennessy hex is a great choice. it doesnt even weigh that much. its a great coverage and would easily swallow the eno and keep you nice and dry
    I'd have to agree with this here. Going with the 70D if that extra 5 oz doesn't matter much to you I think it is a great choice. Great price.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

What do you guys think about the McCat vs the Hennessey? The McCat seems to have some nice features for durability and convenience; worth the extra cash?

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

Hammock
    1.7 Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat silnylon
    Images
    I love my MacCat. The craftsmanship and quality is second to none.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    What do you guys think about the McCat vs the Hennessey? The McCat seems to have some nice features for durability and convenience; worth the extra cash?

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php
    Its up to you, your wallet, and how much weight you want to lug around in a pack if you lug one around at all. There are PLENTY of people who swear by OES tarps, and with good reason they are well made and have great service. Some people prefer Warbonnet Tarps. some people are lucky enough to have a speer tarp ( **** you shug ) The nice thing about OES is the ability to get SilNylon or Spinn UL as material. But that can be said of other companies as well. If your going to be car camping you can go with the Hennessey and save a few dollars but packing out for hiking then it wouldnt hurt to spend a little bit on the lighter OES tarp.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast