JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps

Post Hello from Missouri

I'm relatively new to the site, but no stranger to the wilderness. I've been walking trails since I was at least 13, started backpacking about 6 years ago and converted to hammock-backpacking about 3 years ago. I've accumulated way too much gear for one person, but hey, I needed the best at the time. I always extensively research every item of gear I purchase for quality, price, weight and overall usability. I've made a few mistakes in my time, but mostly I have top of the line gear for what I thought was the best backpacking experience at the time.

I can't stress enough how important seasoned-expert knowledge is, but everyone is a seasoned expert in their own right. I bought a hammock and got cold at about 60 degrees (with no insulation under me) and that detoured me at first. I didn't want to buy all new gear and the pad inside the hammock was very frustrating to me. Not only did the pad never feel right under me, the fact that I still needed insulation on my shoulders was just too much for me to want to deal with.

With the first thoughts of converting to a hammock I also purchased a winter tarp which was better in every way, for me, over a conventional tent. I slept on the ground under my tarp for a few seasons but I was still never comfy with my blow up pad under me. I then rethought the hammock experience and decided to give it another go. This time, I converted a down throw to an UQ and realized how fuzzy I could really sleep at night in a hammock. I've since bought a full length 0 degree UQ and couldn't be any happier. Sleeping in a hammock has proved to give me that "at-home" sleeping comfort anywhere and everywhere the trail takes me.

One of the biggest frustrations about backpacking for me, at first, was the lack of trail resources for people in Missouri. I didn't like the feeling of traveling 5+ hours away into unknown territory and having no idea what to expect. Trail heads inconsistently provide trail maps for the area, and who wants to drive 5 hours not knowing if you're even going to have a map when you get there?
    So, A few years ago my buddy "Towellie" and I created www.baxpax.org check it out sometime and please sign up to gain access to GPS Files, Maps and hundreds of pictures and other valuable trail information. (it's absolutely 100% free and we promise not to bug you or try to sell you anything)

So, thank you all for all your contributions. I will attempt to absorb and provide as much information as possible.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    MadCat Deluxe/ DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Hdson/Incubatr
    Suspension
    DynaGlide Whoopies
    Images
    Good story, I will definitely check out your sight and welcome to the forum from NW Georgia.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow Missourian.(Whiteman AFB) I"m glad to hear you're having better luck with your hammock this time around.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Welcome from TN. Checked out your site and sent you a message. Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    By the way J, Nebraska hang at Indian Caves nat park next Friday through Sunday (21-23). Not to far north of KC. I'm trying to get up there on Friday though I have to leave first thing Saturday. So, late lunch, dinner and breakfast in the wilds. If I get to come I'll be on the motorcycle. Hit my wife up with hanging out on Fridays till the weather gets nasty. Will hit the bluffs here tomorrow. Hit the bluffs a little farther from home next week?

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thank you everyone!

A special thanks to the new members of www.baxpax.org!

We are very interested in expanding baxpax.org to include information for other states (other than Missouri) and any trails we are missing (I know there's a bunch).

If you would be interested in becoming an admin of baxpax.org for your state and/or have information for other trails (preferably pictures, trail maps and/or GPS files) please contact me or use the "baxpaxers" sections of our site to contribute anything you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    By the way J, Nebraska hang at Indian Caves nat park next Friday through Sunday (21-23). Not to far north of KC. I'm trying to get up there on Friday though I have to leave first thing Saturday. So, late lunch, dinner and breakfast in the wilds. If I get to come I'll be on the motorcycle. Hit my wife up with hanging out on Fridays till the weather gets nasty. Will hit the bluffs here tomorrow. Hit the bluffs a little farther from home next week?
    Thank you, I'm discussing this with Towellie right now!
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Welcome! Checked out your site, very nice!

I'm in Florida, but if I ever travel your way, I certainly would use your site as a resource - and great pics, as well!
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Another warm welcome from Florida! So, you have too much gear, huh? Join the club!!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    howdy JBizzle and hey from high point nc, welcome to Hammock Forums.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast