Hammock
    ENO DN

Using a pup tent as a tarp in winter?

Has anybody thought about doing this? I'm new to hammocking, just got my stuff at the end of summer of '12 and only slept out once. My knowledge base is, well, somewhat short of most. But I was watching one of Shug's vids where he showed his winter tarp which had doors sewn on the ends and it brought to mind the old classic floorless pup tent that we used when I was in the boy scouts.
    Those were canvas, of course, and way too heavy to hang it would seem but nowadays they make nylon pup tents that can be had for $20-$30 and all I would have to do is take the floor off and put on some tie-outs.
    Has anyone else given this any thought or tried it?

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think a tent would be too short.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Too funny I just got back from a trip yesterday and was sitting here pondering almost the same thought. I was wondering about a tarp with a floor and doors.
    The pup tent might work. Might be a little short for my hammock. Mine run about 11-12 ft. But it could work ! Im gonna keep my eyes open. I used a plastic sheet and duct tape.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Back in the "early days" someone was using an old GI canvas pup tent over their hammock. I don't recall if it was on HF.com or the yahoogroups. Perhaps a search on HF gallery?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Back in the "early days" someone was using an old GI canvas pup tent over their hammock. I don't recall if it was on HF.com or the yahoogroups. Perhaps a search on HF gallery?
    There is a surplus place on Amazon that sells the old GI half shelters. Those are canvas and I have to wonder about the weight. That's why I thought about nylon but a legitimate concern would definitely be length.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    One of the drawbacks of a hmmock is that it has to be completely covered to prevent rain from filling it up like a bathtub. Any covering has to be longer than the hung hammock.

You could likely do it with GI Shelter halves, although you'd probably need four of them. One shelter half is, at its longest dimension (point to point), 12'-9", which means the footprint is considerably shorter. One completed sheter (two halves) would have to be hung rather high in order to cover a 9' hammock, and would not get the job done for an 11' hammock. You could use four halves and overlap them in the middle to get the length you need, but the resulting load would be rather heavy. A completed shelter (two halves) weighs 6 pounds---without the poles and pegs. This means that to completely cover your hammock, you're carrying 12 pounds worth of tarp.

Using the WW2 style shelter tent that has one open end would reduce the wieght somewhat, but they've become collectible as all get out these days and you'd end up spending as much as you would on a decent cottage vendor tarp that is lighter and purpose designed to do the job.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Seems like more work than what it's worth. I know we had someone here on the forums gut out their tent and attached to their hammock as more of an over cover/tent, that he could unzip and pull back the side (already made bug net). It was pretty sharp, but they didn't use it as their sole tarp/rain protection.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha View Post
    Has anybody thought about doing this? I'm new to hammocking, just got my stuff at the end of summer of '12 and only slept out once. My knowledge base is, well, somewhat short of most. But I was watching one of Shug's vids where he showed his winter tarp which had doors sewn on the ends and it brought to mind the old classic floorless pup tent that we used when I was in the boy scouts.
    Those were canvas, of course, and way too heavy to hang it would seem but nowadays they make nylon pup tents that can be had for $20-$30 and all I would have to do is take the floor off and put on some tie-outs.
    Has anyone else given this any thought or tried it?
    For my winter camping shelter, I use the heavy canvas wedge hot tent. It works great for my needs and comfort level. The pup tent would have to be long enough to cover the hammock just like a tarp. If you could find one that was suitable for not much money, it would be worth testing.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

I tried it last weekend with the rain fly from one of my tents. Plenty long, but between the zippers (mine was a two door model) and the dome shape, I couldn't get a tight pitch. The wallyworld tarp was easier and probably the same weight.

• + New Posts