Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Question Another Hammock Stand

Has anyone tried to make one of these?

I'm looking for an alternate no-tree setup, something that could be packable for short-distance hikes. I've got an idea for making one, but thought I'd check first to see if anyone has attempted this, seen one in person, or has one.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I've got something similar from an old pool, think it could be modified?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    ummm... maybe, but i don't know??? certainly worth some thought.
    i would guess that the stand in your 1st post would require a little less from the stakes because part of the hammocker's weight is being balanced... but still would need strong stakes.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    i don't see much advantage to something like this if it is to be light and portable, those pieces are fairly long, and the resulting stand is short lengthwise and heightwise, meaning even longer pieces for a good sized version. it might be easier to setup, but it isn't versatile (fixed height and length)

the only thing i see is that the design provides the side to side stability, this way you can have a stable hang with only one stake per end. if you just use a single verticle pole at each end, you could use one stake (if it will hold, depends on stake and soil) it will just lean to one side and move around, and might even fall over, however by using 2 or more stakes per end, the single pole will be stable, but, unless you will be carrying those monster yard screws, you will need multiple stakes per end anyway, so there is no need for a more stable frame, seems like overkill on aluminum tubing to me.

did you see the post where frodt hung from a single ski pole at each end? something like this is the ultimate in lightweight portability. i would want it taller than a ski pole, which would require it to be larger dia possibly. collapseable would be mandatory if it was any longer than that.

i think that carrying just one end of the stand would give alot of versatility, you can almost always find at least one suitable tree or substitute.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    It was discussed in another thread a while ago.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    There was a discussion on using one ski pole per end of hammock a week or so ago you can search hammock stand one tree and find it, including photos of my rig, which I am still attempting to destructively test, but it looks like those disks on the bottom of the poles won't give up!

I have since found a collapsable pole that I think will be up to the task, and get me up much higher off the ground. I will keep y'all apprised of my findings.

BTW, how do you post a link to a previous thread?

Pedro

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    BTW, how do you post a link to a previous thread?

Pedro
    copy and paste, go to it, highlight the address, hit copy, then paste it to your reply. you can also type www.the webaddress.com and it will automatically make it a clickable link.

post a link or give specs on the collapseable pole. how tall, dia etc. i was thinking a taller pole would be more likely to bend, meaning you might need something fatter than a ski pole. this is assuming the ski pole is marginally strong enough at it's current height, adding just a foot or so might not be enough to need a bigger tube, worth considering though, i guess all you can do is test it unless you are a math wiz.

i would be interested in getting a minimally sized single collapseable support pole as well, would be good foe double hanging where you need 3 trees.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Okay, here's the crack-inspired plan of the week.:

Lowe's sells a four-foot to eight-foot aluminum telescopic pole for paint roller frames for ten bucks and change. The tubing on the outside is appox. 1" OD, andon the inside is approx. 13/16" OD. Fairly thin wall, but the tubing is fluted, increasing strength significantly, particularly in column. I'm going to take a pair of these and cut them down to 3 1/2 feet to start, that's short enough for me.
    Then try hanging from 'em. I'll let you know how that works.

Images
    the joints are like hiking poles, not tent poles right? tent pole style collapsable is what i was thinking about, but hey if the hold they hold i guess, definately want to hear how it turns out.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The paint roller extension poles don't work, the inside pole is too flimsy. I got to thinking, though about the length (44") of my ski poles. They are my wife's, actually, and she is very short. It turns out that ski poles come in lengths up to 54" at least (what do I know from skiing?). It seems to me that the intention of collapsable trekking poles has been so that travellors could get them into carry-on luggage, as well as being able to adjust them for the optimum height. Well, nobody's getting trekking poles onto carry-on anymore, and I can live with close to optimum height. Ski poles also seem to be lighter than trekking poles, while being stronger. Am I wrong about any of this? Please weigh in.

Pedro

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast