SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    I'll bring the video camera.
    Note to self: Find skinny person to test.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Alrighty!

Here's one idea:

I was thinking 7/64 amsteel or dynaglide for the suspension curves. Might be a little on hard the legs getting in and out of, but this would be a prototype anyway.

The suspension triangles and spreaders would be the same as for a BMBH or a Grizzbridge.

For the body, you would only need a loom about 4.5 ft long and about 6.5-7 ft tall. I don't think you would need a curved loom or special weaving in the middle because the weave and the method of hanging should take care of the shape of the hammock when weighted.

Edit: Thinking about this some more leads me to think that a curved loom WOULD be needed. I don't have one here at work to confirm, but I don't think there is much stretch END TO END on the Mayan weave. Darn.

The only problem I see with this is how to keep the hammock from compressing from end to end when weighted. Two lines of amsteel or dynaglide spliced together along the length of the suspension arc 'porpoise-ing' in and out to create loops for the weave to attach should solve this issue. Any other ideas?

Body weave material: Nylon twine or unbraided (thanks for the idea Boris!) GRAY amsteel (to prevent looking like a smurf with the blue)
    I know a typical Mayan has 3000-5000 ft of cordage. This would be about half that size so maybe 1500-2500 ft?

With 12 strands from unbraided amsteel that's about 125-208 ft! 1/8 in amsteel weighs .5 lbs/100ft - so that's about 10-16.6 oz just in amsteel for the weave!

Maybe a blend of unbraided amsteel for the end to end cordage and nylon twine for the weave? Nylon twine would definitely be the cheaper way to go using these length estimates. I wonder how uncomfortable the braided spectra fishing line would be. That would lighter...

This link has instructions on how to weave a Mayan style hammock.

So... who's got the time to try this out?
    Last edited by LostCause; 08-06-2010 at 11:04. Reason: Thought it out a little bit more...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    So... who's got the time to try this out?

I've already sent a few emails asking to go visit a couple of small villages where the residents make Mayan hammocks. Figure it'll be fun to take a holiday with Genuine Draft under the guise of 'educational'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I've already sent a few emails asking to go visit a couple of small villages where the residents make Mayan hammocks. Figure it'll be fun to take a holiday with Genuine Draft under the guise of 'educational'.
    I like the way you think!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    This idea and trip sounds very intriguing. I have been using cotton string hammocks from Guatamala for the last 30 years. The string is like kite string. I have fantasized about a bridge hammock themed group hang. Your fantasy is beyond my dreams, yet you make it sound possible. I definitely will be following this thread with interest. If having committed buyers before you go helps make locals interested in the project , we might round up pre-orders for prototypes. Are you serious enough to have a calendar spot eyeballed?

Turtle Lady

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    If having committed buyers before you go helps make locals interested in the project , we might round up pre-orders for prototypes.
    Nah, I'll be happy to let somebody else do the entrepreneur thing. I'm in this for the same reason I've always enjoyed hammocks, it's fun! This trip is strictly about learning the basic technique for myself. It's a trade that is handed down from family member to family member down there over the course of decades, so I have no illusions of being able to learn the skill in a couple of weeks. But, I like knowledge and weaving is an area where I am most certainly lacking. If something actually works well enough that others are interested, then finding folks willing to do work down there is easy enough. Maybe I can talk one of the companies I'm talking to about a trip south into carrying a line of Mayan Bridges, but it's not a game that I want to be a player in these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    Are you serious enough to have a calendar spot eyeballed?
    Winter, or course. Gotta get some scuba diving in too dontcha know.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm VERY interested in learning the techniques. That link that was posted is the closest I've ever come to finding out how it's done.

I'd love to find out how to do them properly!

There is the single (sprang?) weave typical of most Mayan hammocks.

There is the double (double sprang?) weave found on larger Mayan hammocks. I don't have an example of this though.

And there is some hybrid weave that I have never seen on any other hammock other than one I bought near Chichen Itza. I will try to get my wife to take a picture of it so I can post. It's not really like the other two and creates a pretty cool effect.

It'll be a while but I can take a picture of the weave to show you what I mean.

Cannibal - Are you going to video instruction on the weaving basics when you get back?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Cannibal - Are you going to video instruction on the weaving basics when you get back?
    If I go, I'm going to video everything I can because the memory banks just aren't what they used to be. Probably be late January or early Feb before I go.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    LC, these have been posted before I believe. Lots of how to weave a hammock videos.
    Heres a start....I'll stick to sewing.
    weaving hammock..really quick
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks Gargoyle. While similar, I don't think that's the same kind of weaving that goes into the Mayan hammock, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yep, that's at least one of the techniques. I have another video somewhere that shows a different method (can't really tell what they are doing, but it's a different weaving method).

Here are a couple using what looks like the same technique as the vid you posted.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5vaz6WFRo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlKlFYXFUVE

This one looks like a different method. Not sure though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXa1_Z13WNM
    Last edited by LostCause; 08-06-2010 at 15:26. Reason: YEP. Gargoyle had it right!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast