Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images

Quick top quilt question - differential?

I am just finishing up the plans for a ~10 deg down top quilt.

I guess I am getting a bit tired, because all of the sudden I am wondering if I need to include a differential in the chamber size for top quilts. (example: 5" spacing between the baffles on the inner shell and 5.5" spacing on the outer.) I know on my UQ, this really allowed the chambers to loft out, but I can't for the life of me reason my way through this for a TQ

I am planning on a 3" loft height using a 2.5 inch tall baffle, and would calculate fill as 3" X length X width.

My crude representation below - no differential on left, differential on right. I was planning for no differential, but all of the sudden I am locked in an indecision loop.

differential2.jpg

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by jwright; 02-06-2013 at 00:51.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you don't use a differential cut...
    As the top quilt curves around your body, the inner shell pulls the outer shell closer to your body causing a "flattening" at the bend.

I made this mistake with my first underquilt and (after talking with those in the know) understand this to be the same with top quilts.
    hope this helps muddy the water
    (c o) (O)
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    An UQ usually has the chambers parallel to the length of the quilt requiring the differential baffle spacing.

A TQ usually has the chambers perpendicular to the length of the quilt and the differential baffle spacing is not needed. A differential cut between the inner and outer shells will still be required to allow lofting.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Arrrrrgh.

gmcttr,
    Just to clarify, (1) you are saying keep the chamber width (between the baffles) the same for both the inner and outer shells, e.g. 5.5 inches.
    And (2) there should be a side to side (width) differential - 48" wide inner shell width and 50" outer shell width. If this is correct, how much differential is required?

This makes sense, especially after seeing how well a dual differential worked in my UQ, but I don't recall anyone mentioning a differential in the TQ threads I have been referencing. I did some studying of my current TQ before drifting off to sleep and noticed that after the sewn foot box, the quilt flattens out fairly quickly, without much curvature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    A TQ usually has the chambers perpendicular to the length of the quilt and the differential baffle spacing is not needed. A differential cut between the inner and outer shells will still be required to allow lofting.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    I did some studying of my current TQ before drifting off to sleep and noticed that after the sewn foot box, the quilt flattens out fairly quickly, without much curvature.
    Even when ground dwelling (lots of curvature) there is no problem with the loft in a non-differential cut TQ....at least that has been my experience. YMMV
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Yes the TQ should be made with a differential cut to allow for maximum lofting when used. If it is not differential cut then when used it will cause a flattening (think compressing) of the quilt, thus decreasing the loft. Which in turn lowers the overall warmth rating.

Easy way to think about it is the baffle is the no-seeum that is stitched to the top and bottom pieces of fabric (so 1" or 2" or 3" +) then the distance between each baffle on the bottom (side thats going to be closest to your body, or touching you when worn) let's say is 4". The outer fabric spacing between each baffle should be more than the bottom, so lets say 5". This is a differential cut, this allows for a bowing of the outer fabric to let the insulation (down) loft without being compressed.

Hope this helps??
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Thanks for the reply everybody.

It looks like a true HF consensus:
    jason - confused
    chickenwing - + width differential
    gmcttr - no baffle spacing differential, + width differential (I think)
    doogie - no differential
    cranky bear - + baffle spacing differential

Looks like it is back to the old UQ posts to dig up the formula for calculating the required dfferential.
    jason

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    The reason it's so important on an UQ is that the top of the UQ is being held up against the bottom of the hammock/body with a fairly strong force (shock cord), the weight of the down and bottom fabric is the only force pulling down (very little force, so the suspension wins the battle), so if the fabric of the outer layer does not have a larger radius, it will not allow the down to loft out and will greatly reduce the warmth. With a TQ in a hammock the quilt is almost flat (except for the foot box), but even when ground dwelling, the only force trying to deloft the down is gravity...any you can't get away from that. You might have some extra folds inside your quilt when ground dwelling, but I have not noticed any reduction in the loft. Hope this makes sense, but if you want to go differential go for it.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Tie Breaker

The following photo of the head end corner of a TQ produced by one of our "cottage" vendors, has the inner shell stretched tight while the outer differential cut shell wraps around the edge allowing full loft.

IMG_3371 (Medium).JPG

Here's a sketch to further illustrate the principle.

TQ Cross Section.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The following photo of the head end corner of a TQ produced by one of our "cottage" vendors, has the inner shell stretched tight while the outer differential cut shell wraps around the edge allowing full loft.

IMG_3371 (Medium).JPG

Here's a sketch to further illustrate the principle.

TQ Cross Section.jpg

Exactly.

All of mine are made this way!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast