Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Speer III

I was watching a bunch of youtube videos last night. It looked like the velcro on the bug fly was a PITA to use. Whenever the guy moved in the hammock it came undone. Is it an issue with these?

If it is the video I am thinking about they didn't really take much time to close the velcro properly. But, having said that, on my Speer, I haven't ever used the bugnet. I get claustrophobic pretty easily and being sealed up like that would drive me up the wall! Give me a zipper anyday!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    If it is the video I am thinking about they didn't really take much time to close the velcro properly. But, having said that, on my Speer, I haven't ever used the bugnet. I get claustrophobic pretty easily and being sealed up like that would drive me up the wall! Give me a zipper anyday!
    It probably was the same video. He didn't make much of an effort. But even so, the velcro system seemed pretty cheesy. I've gone pretty lightweight on my equipment. I tried to go really UL on my tent once. It had alot of velcro on it and I hated it. I'm afraid I might feel the same way about the Speer bugnet. I'm still shopping & haven't even tried a hammock yet. So I could be wrong, but still, it looks like one off the shopping list.

Don't let me discourage you, the Speer is a really good hammock. You could always buy the kit and then make other arrangements for the bugnet.

Take a look at what Risk did with the quarterweight hammock here:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Don't let me discourage you, the Speer is a really good hammock. You could always buy the kit and then make other arrangements for the bugnet.

Take a look at what Risk did with the quarterweight hammock here:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm
    I just don't like anything by my face. Or alot of velcro! I tried bivy sacks, hated them. That might be another reason I'm leaning towards some of the other brands. I do hear the Speers are comfortable tho.

The bugnet is suspended by a non-structural ridgeline that runs between the straps. It doesn't get in your face as much, for me it's just dealing with all that velcro.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I was watching a bunch of youtube videos last night. It looked like the velcro on the bug fly was a PITA to use. Whenever the guy moved in the hammock it came undone. Is it an issue with these?
    thats why i never wanted a speer hammock.i hate velcroneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    thats why i never wanted a speer hammock.i hate velcroneo
    Yeah I'm not a fan of velcro at all! To be honest, I would have bought a JRB BMB before I ever even heard of the warbonnet. The only thing that made me hesitate and do more searching, eventually finding hammock forums, was that dang velcro. I hate the stuff with a passion.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Yeah I'm not a fan of velcro at all! To be honest, I would have bought a JRB BMB before I ever even heard of the warbonnet. The only thing that made me hesitate and do more searching, eventually finding hammock forums, was that dang velcro. I hate the stuff with a passion.
    i dont like the omni tape jrb uses thats the only fly in the soup on thier quilts
    great quilts except for omni tape it is as much a pain as velcroneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images

Velcro on Speer Hammock

I guess it's about time I explained to everyone why I use Velcro on my hammocks. I realize the usual first response is that the Velcro might be too much hassel--but it really isn't. My use of Velcro comes from years of outdoor trials where I've found that Velcro simply never fails; however zippers can let you down, often in a major way. Zipper sliders can easily get caught in the fabric inside a hammock, especially with winter camping when using bulky clothing, sleepng bags, & quilts that nealy fill up the space inside the hammock. Sooner or later some of that bulky fabric will get caught in a zipper slider. Trying to release a stuck zipper slider while balancing in a hammock isn't easy & it can be dangerous if you need to reach the far ends of the hammock. Once you've been trapped inside your hammock because the zipper slider is caught on fabric, or you've torn the hammock, an expensive sleeping bag or quilt, you'll know what I mean. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it's only a matter of time until it does. Actually I feel that the presence of a zipper on a camping hammock is the sign of an inexperienced hammock designer. Likewise, I don't even like the zippers on my sleeping bag, jacket or pants when inside the hammock for the same reasons.

So my problem was how to design a removable bugnet without using zippers. I quickly learned that Velcro never fails to function in the conditions I encounter when camping. And it passes the test of time--I personally tested one of my Speer Hammocks w/ Velcro for over 5,000hours (that's nearly 2 years of continuous nightly use & numerous washings) without any failure of the Velcro. And use inside the hammock is easier than you'd think. With a bit of practice, the person inside the hammock easily learns to quickly attach the Velcro by pulling the corresponding hammock & bugnet edges taught before running their hand or even their foot along the edges to engage the Velcro--a light touch is all that's needed. Undoing the Velcro to get out is simple & fast--there's no looking for that lost zipper slider. Just grab the edges of the hammock & bugnet anywhere on either side of the hammock & pull---zip & you're out! Couldn't be easier. Likewise reaching out of the hammock for cooking on the ground or to reach something on the ground or hanging nearby is greatly facilated since you only need to open a small section of the Velcro--especially important in heavy mosquito country!

Of course, having a removable bugnet has it's own great advantages; the best of which for me is the ability to watch the stars at night--you just can't see them thru bugnetting. And when not needed, the bugnet can be left at home for a savings on weigh & bulk in the pack.

So for me, Velcro is a natural in a hammock because it's simple, quick, easy & never fails....Ed
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast