Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger/WD
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    straps

New rig

Ok guys (and gals) I have searched,read, and thought of every possible configuration and have decided to leave it up to popular opinion. I am 5'10" and ~270 lbs during this holiday time. I am about to order a new rig and start from scratch. I am looking at the dream thunderbird xx' by 60" and a UGQ winter dream tarp, the only thing I am having a problem with is 10' hammock with a 11' tarp or a 11' hammock with 12' tarp. I will be using my AHE Jarbidge UQ and TQ to be named at a later date. I have a GT single with 105" RL and a ENO double with a 100" RL so I have laid in a 9.5' and a 10.5' but never a true 10' or 11'. Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    you could use a 12' hammock with a 10' tarp, the ridgeline length of the hammock is the only thing that matters

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have 10' hammocks and 11' tarps. Works fine.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Okay, starting from scratch; here's what I recommend. first, go cuben fiber on your tarp. It's expensive but the weight, well its amazing. It's a better value to spend your hard earned money on the best right up front. Get one with doors so it functions well in wet rain and in winter.

Next; I respectfully disagree that you can use a 10 foot tarp with an 11 foot hammock. Maybe you can but I've used an 11ft hammock under a 10 foot tarp and the ends of the hammock were too close to the ends of the tarp and I had problems in rain. Better to have more tarp; helps you secure your setup from strong weather.

There are a lot of good hammocks out there but I would suggest you go with a single layer and invest in good quilts. It's expensive but it's also the most flexible and convenient setup I can recommend. Depending on where you live you may want to be sure to have an integrated bug net. In many locations it just makes sense. A seperate bug net is heavier and less convenient. Get an integrated bug net and flip it over on those perfect nights when no bugs are out but the stars are.

Think about your suspension; there's a lot of weight in the straps with buckles or double rings; go for whoopie slings with dutch clips.

Even if you're not into ultralight, go light weight! Every once you carry on your back is one ounce less of enjoyment in the wood....believe me on this point.

So go lightweigh, get a tarp that's light and longer than your hammock and consider the overall wieght of the package. Skip pads all together and go with quilts; I recommend hammock gear quilts. Spend the money and get an optimized setup and you'll be glad you did.

Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 12-20-2013 at 19:55.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    The UGQ Winter is awesome they do everything including seam seal, snaps on the doors, pole mods for you. I had got my SF the week before I saw the UGQ WD and wanted to kick myself. Talk to Paul at DH but at your height an 11' is good also if the fabric you choose is say 66" he will use the whole width and you get an even better lay.
    Paul is a great guy get in contact with him and he will walk you through it. Plus he is working with UGQ to really dial in a great setup.
    I have the jawbridge w/ apex but an thinking of up grading to a UGQ UQ w/ the DWR down. They are having issues wetting out the down when washing quilts that is waterproof as you'll get. Their new ripstop is awesome also.

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger/WD
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    straps
    Gideon thanks for all of the sound advice. You pretty much described my dream setup with just a few changes. In the future I am looking into the hammock gear UQ and TQ and pass the AHE down to my oldest boy however, it will not be this year. The biggest thing is 10' or 11' hammock. I have decided (for now anyway) to go with an 11' dream thunderbird hammock with a 12' winter dream tarp. I know this will not be the lightest set up but I can add a good summer tarp a little later to reduce weight. Thanks all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilver View Post
    Gideon thanks for all of the sound advice. You pretty much described my dream setup with just a few changes. In the future I am looking into the hammock gear UQ and TQ and pass the AHE down to my oldest boy however, it will not be this year. The biggest thing is 10' or 11' hammock. I have decided (for now anyway) to go with an 11' dream thunderbird hammock with a 12' winter dream tarp. I know this will not be the lightest set up but I can add a good summer tarp a little later to reduce weight. Thanks all.
    Good call bigsilver. I use an 11' Dream hammock with a 12' tarp. It's perfect.

Oh this is what an 11' hammock looks like with a standard 130"RL MacCat Delux

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilver View Post
    That is exactly what I did. I love the extra room of the 12' UGQ Winter Dream, especially in bad weather. I can sit under the tarp and enjoy my coffee, and keep a supply of firewood protected as well. I did add a HG Cuben tarp later for summer/lightweight backpacking use.

Michael

• + New Posts