LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Cool My wife thinks I'm nuts! Or winter time hanging in the back yard.

So over the past couple weeks it has finally started to feel like winter here in Central North Carolina. And given that I had finally gotten off my duff and finished my DIY UQ and TQ I decided that I needed to test them out. You know for safety reasons.

Well last week we had the temps drop down to 21F with clear skies and not a bit of moisture in the air, we're talking desert dry. I happen to be home on such a lovely night for a change, so I rush out side and set up my hammock for a lovely night of gear testing. My wife asked me why I was outside in such cold weather and though I tried to explain to her that I wanted to be sure that I would be safe, you know for her, she just rolled her eyes at me and let out a exasperated groan. I had my hammock setup with DIY Fleece UQ and DIY Down UQ underneath me. On top I had a fleece blanket and DIY Down TQ. I wrapped everything in my old 6lb sleeping bag. I slept with base layers and a fleece insulating layer over that. I slept wonderfully and awoke around 5am to the sounds of traffic on the road behind my house. The sleeping bag had a layer of frost over it, but I was toasty warm inside everything. While I had hung my tarp I left in the snake skins since there was no forecast for precipitation and the skies were clear with nearly no breeze I felt safe going that route. Of course I have no pictures of that night's setup, so believe me if you wish.

So last night we had this odd thing happen. There was white stuff falling from the sky. I think its called snow.

We don't get it very often here and when we do it seems to bring out the hysteria in people. (Quick hide your bread, milk, and eggs! )
    Well being the rough outdoors man I am, (Hey! No laughing!) I decided that I needed to test my tarp's winter effectiveness. And well if I'm going to hang my tarp I might as well hang the hammock, so I can be comfortable, you know while I'm testing the tarp.

(Guide Gear 12x12 in hunker down/winter mode. And yes that is a power pole on the left. I had the power company move the lines as they weren't feeding to my house. They were nice enough, read lazy, to leave the pole in the ground so that I have a great place to test hang in my back yard. )

Of course I needed to protect myself from hypothermia while testing the tarp so I grabbed my quilts and snuggled in for some long hard hours of gear testing.

(Fleece blanket being used as a make shift pillow.)

I awoke, I mean observed, this morning a build up of frost on the inside of my tarp.

And the outside of my tarp had iced up.

Last night's temps were just barely below freezing and I actually awoke at one point feeling damp and cold. I had obviously underestimated how warm all of this gear would keep me and I had to remove a layer of sweat soaked clothing and let the cold air dry me off before I slipped back into the warm embrace of the hammock.

(Obligatory Hammock shot. Note the horribly heavy sleeping bag being used pod style.)

My DIY Fleece UQ and my DIY Down UQ (filled with 8 oz 800FP down and constructed of 1.9 Ripstop from Hancock Fabrics.)

Left: DIY Down TQ (filled with 9 oz 800FP down and constructed of 1.9 Ripstop from Hancock Fabrics, Karo Step)
    Center: Fleece Blanket
    Right: Down blanket I picked up from Walmart around 10 years ago, no idea of the FP, but its warm.

Showing sleeping bag fully zipped in pod mode.

How the Sleeping bag connects to the hammock.

And finally a picture of my backyard alarm clock. Not nearly as pleasant as birds chirping or a creek babbling, but I never oversleep when the traffic starts up at 5am.

I had a Walmart blue CCF pad and reflective fleece waiting inside for me but never needed them. The tarp kept the snow and ice off, as well as the rain that had preceded the snow. The quilts kept me cozy warm even below freezing, and the whole setup, including the sleeping bag pod, would likely keep me warm down to 0F. So while I would hate to carry all of this gear in/on my backpack. Need to replace the ancient heavy sleeping bag with something in the 2 pound range with better compression, maybe then I'll be ready for some really cold backpacking.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Nice report. I have also "tested" my equipment the same way (my wife rolled her eyes too). It's amazing how much a 10* difference can make in your sleep system. Throw the tarp into the mix and it can change things even more. Keep Experimenting for "safety reasons of course

Btw, I have the same type of alarm, very reliable.

Images
    That is really interesting! So you overheated enough to get cold from soaking some insulation with sweat? But then removed the soaked clothing and got back to toasty warm with the remaining insulation?

It's good that you woke up before the sweat got out into the other layers of insulation to soak them also. I guess you have proved - not that it needed proving- the importance of keeping insulation protected not only from rain, but also from condensation or sweat.

And sounds like you have proved your system more than warm enough for freezing temps!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    My wife thinks I am nut in general lol, I have done it and will hang again

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Glad to hear that everything worked out 'safely'--wouldn't want your wife to be too worried. Glad, too, that you lucked into such good testing conditions. Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great report. Really nice to hang in cold weather, isn't it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blaze

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Quick hide your bread, milk, and eggs! )
    Inclement weather creates an urge to have french toast in humans, well known phenomenon.

Keith

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    My husband thinks I'm nuts to, I sleep out in the hammock almost every weekend. Testing different combinations of gear. I want to be prepared when I finally get to hiking some distances.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Great report - I haven't hung in a long while and this made me really miss it.

re: Sweating / waking up cold - this is really interesting! I have several theories about what happened here but I don't think it likely has much to do with actually sweating through enough insulation to get cold. I find it more likely to be that when you went to sleep (after eating perhaps?) your metabolism was high enough to make you sweat. If your head was inside your pod this would increase the effect a lot. You then slept for a while and relaxed (hammocks do that to me, too!) which made your metabolism slow a bunch which made you cool off. Now you woke up cold and wet. You dried off (brrrrr) and climbed back into your system (which looks really good btw!) and warmed up and nodded back off.

The part that kills me (and that I fight with) is how our metabolism slows when we sleep... Which is why I can hike into a spot with shorts and a tee on but then freeze in similar temps while sleeping unless I have a bunch more insulation. Wish there was a way to mitigate this.

Just a theory! Thanks much for sharing.

p.s. my Wife has rolley-eyes too when it comes to 9/10 of what I say. I consider it an expression of endearment
    Last edited by Pitch; 02-20-2012 at 09:42. Reason: Me faily english? That unpossible!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    good report. Oh, and welcome to the club!
    Jose Diaz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast