Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hopefully I will have a better experience than this...

I am VERY excited about hammock camping! However, the customer service and quality I received with my Claytor hammock could have been better.

I dove in and bought what I thought to be a great quality hammock as recommended by my friend and avid outdoorsman. I made the $180.00 purchase of a Claytor jungle hammock. I was stoked to go on my first overnighter with my hammock. Upon set-up I noticed two things: 1- a foot long fringe near the zipper and the v-shaped hole sequence I predict was made by a mistaken sew which was ripped out and re-sewn.

My friend, who has had a great experience with Tom, prompted me to email Tom with a written description and pictures when I got home- which I did. His response was NOT what my friend thought it would be.

Tom gave me two options: 1- singe the fringe with a lighter and ignore the dot sequence as it was not a structural flaw OR 2- return it for another one.

I have now inquired three times about pre-paid shipping because the first two times of inquiring about the company paying for shipping I only received an email response with an address. I feel the company wants ME to pay for THEIR mistakes. I dont feel I should incur any additional costs to receive a non-defective hammock nor incur shipping costs to return the hammock.

With such poor customer service, unless Tom does a complete turn around, I will look the receive a FULL refund which includes shipping costs.

My confidence has run thin with this comapny. I will keep you posted as to Tom's final verdict. I am holding onto a thin piece of hope that this comapny will make this right.

Thanks for listening.

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    first post on HF.......too bad its super negative.....

don't worry too much...there are some great hammock craftsmen out there...it will probably take a while to find the ones that work for you anyway....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That's too bad. You should get a refund and buy a Warbonnet Blackbird.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    i didn't mean ...don't worry at all ....just worry till you get a refund...and then get a -----> WB traveler/WB bugnet ....

Hey - I've had similar experience with a different hammock dealer named Tom. I know nothing about this Tom, but maybe he's just not good at Customer Service? It took me three months to get a response from my dealer... But that said, a lot of these folks are running the biz, making the products, trying to support a family AND trying to help you.

No doubt you are paying good money for their product, and No doubt they are grateful for that. Some folk are good at doing stuff with their hands, some are good at doing things with their voice - maybe he's just good at doing things with his hands

Give the guy a bit of slack - try to work with him, give him the benefit of doubt; Maybe he's skimming the emails and just saw "address" - who knows -
    point is, keep on trying - at the least you'll frustrate him enough to work with you to your satisfaction...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So are you saying you did not inspect this hammock upon receipt? You just loaded it up and went camping and set it up for the first time and it was then that you discovered the flaws? Not trying to be negative but it sounds suspect to me. Most people I know always pre-flight there gear when it is depended upon. Yeah too bad your very first post on HF is super negative. Great bunch of folks here and some awesome dealers too.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I feel a good company Would double check before sending it out. If I buy something brand new, I should be able to take it out and use it. I try gear before i take it to make sure I know what I'm doing, not to check for frayes or mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsammich View Post
    I feel a good company Would double check before sending it out. If I buy something brand new, I should be able to take it out and use it. I try gear before i take it to make sure I know what I'm doing, not to check for frayes or mistakes.
    Nah - I'd have to agree with Bondo on this - you should always pre-flight your gear, be it a plane or a hammock - 'cuz when you end up on the deck... it ain't nobody's fault but your own...
    I just hope there's somebody else around so we can get some bad-azz pics
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Well, I just don't see why you would sell a product that needs to be "flight tested."
    Maybe it's the youth in me, but, if I buy something, it should be 100%. I want to use it out of the box, not have to double check the quality.

Agree to disagree. Regardless, don't pay for return shipping, that's shenanigans.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It should be 100% out of the box. But that is not the case sometimes. When I purchase an item at a store I check it for defects. Especially when they are manufacturing them by the thousands mistakes are made. When I buy something sight unseen via the internet I always inspect it for craftsmanship and quality. I never assume it is going to work as advertised. Maybe that's just my age showing. But I do believe that Claytor should do the right thing and take responsibility for there product and cover all cost for shipping.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast