Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridgeskin

I'm serious about buying one. If not, with directions maybe I can pay someone local to make it for me.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    no doubt, start a company and sell them this is amazing

you turned a backpack into a bridge hammock

if you can do that you can make a coat that turns into an underquilt and pants that are a tarp

woot!!!

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up Wow

this is really kewel
    innovative etc etc.
    But I think most of us are saying - I want one - plans, kits, or in shrink wrap
    market study over...

Images
    Dutch,
    Two words...
    TOTALLY AWESOME!!

Seeing these photos makes me want to go back to the sewing machine and star working on my next gearskin/bridge hammock.

BTW. Thanks for the hornorable mention
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Thumbs up Sweet!

Dutch, that is way cool beyond belief. If it were mine, I'd call it the "Transformer" pack. More than meets the eye! Anyway, very slick design, definitely a multi-tasker and I'm sure quite the weight saver. Quite the impressive piece of gear, for sure. Congrats!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    The thing that scares me most about the bridge skin is that you are going to rely on something that gets abrasions to hold all of you weight. So I guess one would want to use some heavy fabric, which obviously will add a bit of weight to the pack. However, I wonder if it still counteracts the added weight of carrying a separate shelter. How much does your bridge skin weigh?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    The thing that scares me most about the bridge skin is that you are going to rely on something that gets abrasions to hold all of you weight. So I guess one would want to use some heavy fabric, which obviously will add a bit of weight to the pack. However, I wonder if it still counteracts the added weight of carrying a separate shelter. How much does your bridge skin weigh?
    The exposed material Dutch is using is 4.4 oz/yard; that's the spine, not the wings (which fold in). From the photos I'd estimate the spine is 18" wide, maybe 76" long. That's a square yard, more or less, and we could figure then a 2.5 oz penalty over the fabric cost of making a bridge solely from 1.9 oz ripstop. Throw in a little more for the seams.

So the way I'd look at it, is that if you're going to carry a bridge hammock, then you get a pack too at a weight differential from a regular pack that equals regular pack weight minus (2.5 oz plus weight of straps and such from the gearskin).

Grizz

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. The material for the pack was sent by Grizz and it is some tough and heavy stuff. He never mentioned what it is and maybe he will chime in. I think it will work out well but I still have to be a little careful. I also think if it was raining your hammock will be at least a little wet even with a pack cover. A down quilt wouldn't work well with it. Honestly I don't even carry poles any more and I have been trying to work away from using pads and start using quilts. I was surprised no one asked me what it weighs yet. It weighs 1.7 pounds without a suspension. The current suspension I'm using is buckles and webbing that probably weighs 1/2 pound. So I think the total weight savings is only a about pound and half. I will do better on v2. I went overboard on the webbing and straps. I also made the shoulder straps thick and wide enough to carry much more then I would ever carry. I want to replace the suspension but it is so easy I don't mind the 1/2 pound.

Weight savings was pretty for down on my priorities when I made it. I wanted something that would be so sheik I could set it up in the mall outside Ambercrombie and Finch store and blend in so I wouldn't get Mall Security called on me again. Turns out it isn't that sheik.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. The material for the pack was sent by Grizz and it is some tough and heavy stuff. He never mentioned what it is and maybe he will chime in. I think it will work out well but I still have to be a little careful. I also think if it was raining your hammock will be at least a little wet even with a pack cover. A down quilt wouldn't work well with it. Honestly I don't even carry poles any more and I have been trying to work away from using pads and start using quilts. I was surprised no one asked me what it weighs yet. It weighs 1.7 pounds without a suspension. The current suspension I'm using is buckles and webbing that probably weighs 1/2 pound. So I think the total weight savings is only a about pound and half. I will do better on v2. I went overboard on the webbing and straps. I also made the shoulder straps thick and wide enough to carry much more then I would ever carry. I want to replace the suspension but it is so easy I don't mind the 1/2 pound.

Weight savings was pretty for down on my priorities when I made it. I wanted something that would be so sheik I could set it up in the mall outside Ambercrombie and Finch store and blend in so I wouldn't get Mall Security called on me again. Turns out it isn't that sheik.
    Got it from Rochford, but the links I had (and just posted above) on it don't work anymore.

It was just called "lightweight" nylon ripstop. Lightweight turning out to be 4.4 oz/yard! Feels like the nylon Cordova material you get with heavier packs, and luggage.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I was just thinking that the Bridgeskin in the Army ACU digital camo would be a great pack for Sgt Rock to take on his thru, but then again, after the end of January I'm sure he could do just fine if he never saw camo of any kind again.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast