Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Dejoha, it occurred to me early this morning that there is another way for you to erect your stand. Since you are using 3' rebar stakes, why not put them right at the 2x4, at the same angle, and lash the board to the stake? Then, instead of guying the tops out, run the guys to the adjacent stakes and lash them to both the board and the stake. I believe the 60* angle will enable the opposite board to prevent tipping when one person gets in a hammock.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Since you are using 3' rebar stakes, why not put them right at the 2x4, at the same angle, and lash the board to the stake? .
    Why not drill a hole through the 2x4, & drive the stake through the hole (or slide the board over the stake) instead of lashing? Should be faster & guaranteed not to slip.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MacCat 12 x 10 sil
    Insulation
    3 Seas. Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    would amsteel work as a lighter alt to the poly rope?
    Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger. {James 1:19} .

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oneonone View Post
    would amsteel work as a lighter alt to the poly rope?
    Since this stand is more meant for car camping/backyard use, the lighter argument isn't as relevant. I am sure Amsteel would work as WV and Mac were using it in their Tensegrity stands. I was thinking of using Amsteel myself and making Whoopies slings for the lines the go to the stakes from the top and bottom of the strut. For the line that connects the tops, a UCR could be used, but I like the idea of using a loop/ring for some mechanical advantage and using a truckers' hitch.

Arrowhead equipment sells 7/64 Amsteel in 25 lengths, which would be perfect for the 10'7" lines and allows some extra for splices an making a small adjustment whoopie sling for the other end.

For those more familiar with these structures, would you comment on using amsteel whoopie slings as 1 long line for attachment of the top and bottom of the strut to the stakes?

Thanks

Brian

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Since this stand is more meant for car camping/backyard use, the lighter argument isn't as relevant. I am sure Amsteel would work as WV and Mac were using it in their Tensegrity stands. I was thinking of using Amsteel myself and making Whoopies slings for the lines the go to the stakes from the top and bottom of the strut. For the line that connects the tops, a UCR could be used, but I like the idea of using a loop/ring for some mechanical advantage and using a truckers' hitch.

Arrowhead equipment sells 7/64 Amsteel in 25 lengths, which would be perfect for the 10'7" lines and allows some extra for splices an making a small adjustment whoopie sling for the other end.

For those more familiar with these structures, would you comment on using amsteel whoopie slings as 1 long line for attachment of the top and bottom of the strut to the stakes?
    When I restrung this stand in my backyard, I purchased three 100' rolls of rope, each a different color: red for the top, yellow for the sides, and green for the bottom. The top line is one continuous line. The bottom lines are also continuous. I cut these at 22 feet, allowing some room for knots at the stakes. The side ropes need to be single lines of 10' 7" tied to the top of the 2x3 and the stake point.

Yes, you could use amsteel. I was originally, but it was a little more expensive and would take too long to ship. I picked up everything from home depot on my way to visit family and since the poly rope worked so well and was so inexpensive, I have no plans to change my stand in the near future.

The only modification I am planning is to drill a few 1/2 inch holes lower in the 2x3 and insert some more dowels so I can hang a hammock and tarp a little lower... In part to see how a stand with smaller poles will work, and to allow my tarp to be pitched lower than the hammock point.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    camo diamond fly
    Insulation
    hammock gear 3-sea
    Suspension
    wbbb stock set up
    I recently went to Home Depot and spent $37.00 on the same supplies you described. The rig is very easy to set up alone and works great. Thanks for the info. The only question I had was, when I set the top rope to 14 ' sections and secured it, I had to tighten the side ropes quite a bit to get everything tight. I know the 60 degree angle is important, but I have no way of measuring angles. All of my side ropes , must be much less than 10' now. I did not adjust the ground lines. am I doing something wrong?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm View Post
    I recently went to Home Depot and spent $37.00 on the same supplies you described. The rig is very easy to set up alone and works great. Thanks for the info. The only question I had was, when I set the top rope to 14 ' sections and secured it, I had to tighten the side ropes quite a bit to get everything tight. I know the 60 degree angle is important, but I have no way of measuring angles. All of my side ropes , must be much less than 10' now. I did not adjust the ground lines. am I doing something wrong?

My top ridgeline is one long piece of rope. I didn't cut it into three 14' pieces. I also left additional length so I could tie a truckers hitch. I think my top rope is about 50' long. On one end, I tied a figure-8 on a bite, and then threaded the other end through the three top holes and looped it through the figure-8 eye. Then, with one pull of the top rope, the entire stand comes up and I was able to tie the truckers hitch pretty easily. Check out my video.

My bottom ropes are also continuous, well, three sections of continuous line. I think these are about 25' long each. I used about 10" or so on each end to affix to each stake and threaded through the bottom hole.

The only pieces cut to length, more or less, are the side ropes, since they need to be rigid. Again, I added about a foot of extra line to allow for knots.

Once I constructed mine, I made some minor tweaking in my knots to get the angles "about right." I didn't take a tape measure or protractor to measure anything. In fact, I'm sure the angles are Not exact and I'm sure the lengths don't equal exactly 10' 7". BUT, that is what I love about this stand. It works and is very forgiving.

Have you tried the stand? The first thing I had to do was drill that 1/2" hole, stuck in a dowel, to have a place for the hammock to attach. At first I tried wrapping webbing around the top, but it just wasn't very secure. Maybe I should show a photo or video of how I attach my hammock to the dowel...

I'd like to see any photos of your new stand!
    Last edited by dejoha; 10-25-2010 at 23:17.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    If one tree were available, could it replace one set of the poles, stakes, and side and bottom ropes in a system like this, using the long top ridge connector rope? Or even if two trees were available, could one set of poles, stakes and ropes and the ridge connector turn it into hang space for three hammocks?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    If one tree were available, could it replace one set of the poles, stakes, and side and bottom ropes in a system like this, using the long top ridge connector rope? Or even if two trees were available, could one set of poles, stakes and ropes and the ridge connector turn it into hang space for three hammocks?
    I would think so, as long as you could supply the tension through the whole system. I think it might be hard to run the top rope through/around the trees, but give it a try and report back!

My brother's back yard has one large tree, which is in the middle of the yard and quite easily dominates the landscaping. I think in his case, figuring out how to build around this tree would be an interesting problem.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    camo diamond fly
    Insulation
    hammock gear 3-sea
    Suspension
    wbbb stock set up
    I did use a 50' rope that is only secured starting and ending on the first pole and pulled to raise the whole structure, cool. I also have dowels for hammock straps like yours and everything works great. My side ropes are secured separately and ended up less than 10' when tightened, but as you said, it works and thats what matters. I will post pictures soon. We are going to take this on cub scout camp outs, I think the scouts and parents will be impressed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast