Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploriment View Post
    Hey thereisnospoon,

Where did you find the Marpat material?
    Believe it or not...Wal-Mart. $1.00/yard....

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I know this thread is a few months old now...but I just joined the site and have to say thank you to each and every one of you for your input. I have now made my first hammock and have taken it on the trail once...there are some modifications that need to be done...but...it'll all work out. Again...Thanks and I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I know this thread is a few months old now...but I just joined the site and have to say thank you to each and every one of you for your input. I have now made my first hammock and have taken it on the trail once...there are some modifications that need to be done...but...it'll all work out. Again...Thanks and I'll keep ya posted on my progress.
    by all means, keep us posted. & welcome to HF alex. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Argh

I went and used this tutorial to make my own DIY Hennessy Hammock and I thought it had gone really well until I layed in the thing. I don't know what went wrong, but when I position myself at an angle the head portion of the edge of the hammock (the right side) gets really tight and pushes my body onto its side. It's super uncomfortable...definitely the opposite experience I've had with my Hennessy.

I have no idea what I did wrong. Below are some pictures of the hammock as it is. If anyone has any clues as to how I can fix it, please let me know.

In these two pictures you can somewhat see how the weird tension problem kicks me onto my side. If I lay straight I don't get a problem, and the higher I move towards the head, the worse it gets. Notice my disgruntle expression.

Here is a pic of me laying at the opposite angle, which is more comfortable, but creates this huge ridge of tensioned fabric. What's up with this?

Lastly is an un used side and front view of the overall hammock.

Is there a way I can fix it? Do I need to re-roll it and whip it again? I thought I did it right (five equally distanced folds on either side)?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Nice job. It looks really good. Now smile a little....your in a hammock not in a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by job13_5 View Post
    I went and used this tutorial to make my own DIY Hennessy Hammock and I thought it had gone really well until I layed in the thing. I don't know what went wrong, but when I position myself at an angle the head portion of the edge of the hammock (the right side) gets really tight and pushes my body onto its side. It's super uncomfortable...definitely the opposite experience I've had with my Hennessy.

I have no idea what I did wrong. Below are some pictures of the hammock as it is. If anyone has any clues as to how I can fix it, please let me know.

In these two pictures you can somewhat see how the weird tension problem kicks me onto my side. If I lay straight I don't get a problem, and the higher I move towards the head, the worse it gets. Notice my disgruntle expression.

Here is a pic of me laying at the opposite angle, which is more comfortable, but creates this huge ridge of tensioned fabric. What's up with this?

Lastly is an un used side and front view of the overall hammock.

Is there a way I can fix it? Do I need to re-roll it and whip it again? I thought I did it right (five equally distanced folds on either side)?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I don't know what went wrong, but when I position myself at an angle the head portion of the edge of the hammock (the right side) gets really tight and pushes my body onto its side. It's super uncomfortable...definitely the opposite experience I've had with my Hennessy.
    Since re-rolling and re-whipping costs nothing and can't make it worse, you're silly for not trying that first. I personally don't like Headchange's method and much prefer the Risk/Hennessy method. But I've also had some surprising success from the "fold in half/scrunch into a messy ball and whip" technique as well. In a nutshell: unwhip, re-roll, and try it again.

Oh, and what FF said: smile a little!
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    Since re-rolling and re-whipping costs nothing and can't make it worse, you're silly for not trying that first. I personally don't like Headchange's method and much prefer the Risk/Hennessy method. But I've also had some surprising success from the "fold in half/scrunch into a messy ball and whip" technique as well. In a nutshell: unwhip, re-roll, and try it again.

Oh, and what FF said: smile a little!
    What he said. Sorry did'nt read all of your post. Now I understand why you were'nt smiling.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    Okay, I'm on it...what should I be looking for in a good roll? What is the Risk/Hennessy method?

Thank you! And I'll try smiling a bit. I get pretty frustrated when my projects don't work out...just breathe....

Hey friend,

I know how you feel...about projects not meeting your expectations.

Let me make a suggestion. It is based on my experience of first starting with a NON-asym HH and later upgrading to an asym. My first pitch of the asym was not as comfortable as the older model.

Why? Well, since a sytmetrical hammock has pullouts equally spaced between head and foot, it calls for pulling the guylines directly perpendicular to the way the hammock is hung. But in an Asym, this is not the case. Try rotating the shoulder guyline about 15 degrees towards the head, and rotating the knee guyline towards the foot. I think this could help a lot- based on what I think I am seeing in your second photo.

Images
    simpler is sometimes better. try sewing a hem in the end of the fabric. run some tiny string through there and cinch it tight and tie it off into a solid mass of fabric. now just loop a larks head/girth hitch around the mass with your suspension line. all the fabric is even. your guylines take up the slack on the sides. should feel alot like an eno hammock, but the hem isn't actually loaded due to the girth hitch.

Okay, I'm on it...what should I be looking for in a good roll? What is the Risk/Hennessy method?

Thank you! And I'll try smiling a bit. I get pretty frustrated when my projects don't work out...just breathe....

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast