Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 Cat Cut
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Unhappy Disappointed

I didn't see this posted anywhere prior to by purchasing this hammock. I just assumed they were made here in the good ole U.S.A. [EDIT-- Canada, (still half asleep this morning)]

I don't believe in sending work off to countries with cheap child labor just so the corporate or owners can make a bigger profit margin.
    Last edited by ryaex; 07-02-2007 at 07:58.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryaex View Post
    I didn't see this posted anywhere prior to by purchasing this hammock. I just assumed they were made here in the good ole U.S.A.

I don't believe in sending work off to countries with cheap child labor just so the corporate or owners can make a bigger profit margin.
    I understand the disappointment.

One of the things I think is neat about the lightweight backpacking scene is the entreprenuers who hang their Internet shingle out, and make a little money making gear for an activity they love. When I buy gear, I like to support this cottage industry.

But I don't imagine that many of them are really making much of a living doing it. There's enough information around so you can estimate what materials cost, and how much labor is needed to say, put together a tarp or an underquilt, or a hammock. The garage-business guys selling this stuff aren't collecting even minimum wage for their time, unless they can find ways to be efficient through volume. And that's hard in a garage or spare bedroom. To make a living at this game, manufacturers need volume, efficiencies of scale, and inexpensive labor.

HH is clearly in the business to be successful at it, in the sense of making lots of sales and accompanying profit margin. A different motive than say, Brian of MacCat fame. I'm trying hard not to be judgemental here, the profit motive makes our economy go---Adam's Smith's invisible hand---but at the same time provides incentive for unethical behaviors (please note I am not accusing TH of unethical behaviour), and business relationships that in the long run hurt our national well being (thinking here more about our national defense's dependence on technology that is not, and no longer can be made in the US).

Bottom line is that each of can choose how and where we spend our money. Getting into the hammocking thing I wasn't about to make my own; after doing some research I bought HH products based on their technical merits. If Mr. Warbonnet gets to have a hammock business, I would prefer to support his business, would have preferred to do that to begin with if there had been an opportunity. I suspect I will be supporting his business anyway. (Aside: from what I've learned about Ed Spear in this forum, his business is another one worthy to support.)

waxing philosophic on only one cup 'o java this morning,
    Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-02-2007 at 07:54. Reason: more philosophy

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 Cat Cut
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Agreed, I much prefer to support Mom and Pop businesses over large scale or big box industries.

HH is one of those that grew out of their own production capabilities I assume. I know that it inevitably happens to all successful businesses. The production demand grows to an extent that outsourced labor must be used. I just like to think that when you buy a product which you are sure to cherish and enjoy, the person making that product share your pride and enthusiasm for the product. I don't feel factory workers in China share the same pride and enthusaism that I do for the outdoors or the products that I use to me into the outdoors.

I do understand that HH's customer service is top notch and that does make me feel better, as do all the accolades their products receive from around the globe.

If you don't want the HH call him up and ask for a refund. Then buy a Speer Hammock that is made in North Carolina. Right on Ed's site: "All of our Hammocks and Accessories are Proudly Hand Made in the Southern Appalachians"

Images
    I emailed him a year or so ago and asked them. Some of there models are and some are not.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Just from a vendor side, my opinion is that a company that offers a good product has an obligation to make a reasonable profit. Starving yourself out of business doesn't do anybody any good.

I'm not a big fan of China, but I don't know the particular company Hennessy uses for manufacturing. Ironically, he's probably outsourcing so he can produce enough volume for military contracts.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I emailed him a year or so ago and asked them. Some of there models are and some are not.
    Ed or Tom? I know some of Tom's stuff is produced in Canada, but I think all of Ed's is made right down the street from him.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Ed's stuff is made in the US - Tom's is made ????

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Ed or Tom? I know some of Tom's stuff is produced in Canada, but I think all of Ed's is made right down the street from him.
    Sorry for the fuzzyness. It was tom and the hh stuff. I'll see if I can come across my old WB post and post it here.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

Jeff must have me on ignore since I posted this morning where Ed has his hammocks, etc made

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast