WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I would like to come up with a few (Non competitive?) challenges so need suggestions.

What I already came up with:
    Fire starting; with ONE match. Flint n Steel, Ferro rod & scraper (with and without magnesium), bow & drill, manually turning the drill (sorry, can’t remember what that is called.) magnifying glass, _________________

Food gathering: I need a way to judge success. Yes, it’s not a competition, so I need to judge success not winner(s)

Shelter building: with & without brought items (space blankets, cord, tarps, etc.) testing will be to fill a 1 or 5 gallon bucket & throw water on top from 5’ away, 1 time each from each of 3 separate directions. As the prevailing wind at mom’s farm is from the West, that will be one direction regardless of shelter orientation. I’m only 5’7” tall, so water from the West will likely go IN an open door. I’m thinking an imaginary storm is 2 hours away.

Make a knife from a found item or items.

I would love to do navigation, but that would require me to know how to use map & compass & I’m an advanced beginner at best, so where would I start?

It would be great, & I will ask mom if it would be OK (know the answer, but I’ll ask) to set traps. Even if no is answer, perhaps we can set traps that trigger but don’t hold, so a tripped trap is a “success”. Fish trapping would be OK. I have "noodled" or fished barehanded the creek, but there are snappers in the creek, so do so at your own risk!

Make a bow or other distance weapon from items on hand. Timed?

Anyone got suggestions?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Some suggestions for some of your more advanced students:

-Make fire with wet tinder/materials
    -Make a fire on a pond/lake/large mud puddle.

On the food gathering...success would be to have someone gather sufficient food to feed themselves for at least two meals, and have sufficent variety in the gathered foodstuffs to demonstrate a decent knowledge of the local edibles. (Showing up with a bunch of cat tails is useless unless you know which part is edible this time of year, and how to process it).

On the snares...you don't have to leave them up. Success could be to have one or two 'testing areas' where people can demonstrate knowledge of at least two different trigger types, and a variety of ways to use the same trigger for both passive (path snares) and active (baited snares).

Navigation-have them demonstrate at least two methods for determining the four cardinal directions without a compass. Have them discuss various scenarios which might dictate direction of travel (such as encountering a river), and how they would make decisions based on these features/situations.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Wet fire stuff, Great idea
    We got a big stream.

DOOH! Yea, 2 meals worth & 3 items minimum. I'm cool with that. Without telling them, cattail root & flowers count as 2 items. I wonder if any will choose the moss or "seaweed" that grows in the creek.

Good idea about the snares, will do.

Yea, great on direction. I'll print out a topo of the area too, if nothing else for a keep sake.

OOOOH! And I could bring a brace of coneys (rabbits) from the butcher for "caught" food.

Thanks Owl!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Some suggestions for some of your more advanced students:

-Make fire with wet tinder/materials
    -Make a fire on a pond/lake/large mud puddle.

On the food gathering...success would be to have someone gather sufficient food to feed themselves for at least two meals, and have sufficient variety in the gathered foodstuffs to demonstrate a decent knowledge of the local edibles. (Showing up with a bunch of cat tails is useless unless you know which part is edible this time of year, and how to process it).

On the snares...you don't have to leave them up. Success could be to have one or two 'testing areas' where people can demonstrate knowledge of at least two different trigger types, and a variety of ways to use the same trigger for both passive (path snares) and active (baited snares).

Navigation-have them demonstrate at least two methods for determining the four cardinal directions without a compass. Have them discuss various scenarios which might dictate direction of travel (such as encountering a river), and how they would make decisions based on these features/situations.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I hope they don't choose that moss/seaweed. I'm not sure which specifically you're referring to, but if you're talking about the green algae that floats on top of the water, hope they don't choose it. That stuff can be poisonous.

Same thing when it comes down to trying to figure out the difference between wild onion and belladonna for that matter.

If they're not 100% sure what it is...and if you're not as well...don't let them eat it.

There are plenty of good wild edibles in this part of the country that they can choose from. Dandelions, thistle, plaintain, lamb's quarter, purslane...all weeds that grow like crazy in this area, most of which should be starting to grow (and at their best) this time of year. Cattail hearts/roots and if they're starting to grow the heads are all good green and growing as well.

Another fire challenge...they need to find a way to "keep" a fire alive for several hours without requiring tending (alive enough to bring back from the coals at least), and/or carry it a considerable distance to another campsite.

But remember...you've got a limited amount of time in which to 'test' all this with these folks, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up, & we do have alge, but there is also actual moss in the water.

Thankfully I know what onions look like.

Again: thanks for more tips, will keep them in mind, may have to save some for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I hope they don't choose that moss/seaweed. I'm not sure which specifically you're referring to, but if you're talking about the green algae that floats on top of the water, hope they don't choose it. That stuff can be poisonous.

Same thing when it comes down to trying to figure out the difference between wild onion and belladonna for that matter.

If they're not 100% sure what it is...and if you're not as well...don't let them eat it.

There are plenty of good wild edibles in this part of the country that they can choose from. Dandelions, thistle, plaintain, lamb's quarter, purslane...all weeds that grow like crazy in this area, most of which should be starting to grow (and at their best) this time of year. Cattail hearts/roots and if they're starting to grow the heads are all good green and growing as well.

Another fire challenge...they need to find a way to "keep" a fire alive for several hours without requiring tending (alive enough to bring back from the coals at least), and/or carry it a considerable distance to another campsite.

But remember...you've got a limited amount of time in which to 'test' all this with these folks, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Survival weekend?

Doctari and Owl. We play a fun game here you may want to try. Get a small group of friends interested in survival and primal camping. Then at completely random mass text everybody. All the the player MUST respond with a picture of the gear they have on them at that second ( EDC). Who does not respond within a minute or is at home have to use the worse prepped persons gear. Then everyone gets together for a weekend of survival with the gear from the pics. Super fun game until you get the text while having a shower and end up spending the weekend with a lighter, keys and a iPhone.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    what an excellent idea! I sure wish I lived closer to take advantage of everyone else's knowledge! Have a great weekend, and don't forget to have FUN!!
    Debi

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    what an excellent idea! I sure wish I lived closer to take advantage of everyone else's knowledge! Have a great weekend, and don't forget to have FUN!!
    FUN is main plan, learnin is secondary. Important, but secondary.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Um, what are you doing with car keys a lighter & I phone IN the shower?
    Shouldnt you have to spend the weekend with a bar of soap, shampoo & a wash cloth?

Just wonderin.

That IS a great idea BTW. Once a group is established, we may indeed do that.THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    Doctari and Owl. We play a fun game here you may want to try. Get a small group of friends interested in survival and primal camping. Then at completely random mass text everybody. All the the player MUST respond with a picture of the gear they have on them at that second ( EDC). Who does not respond within a minute or is at home have to use the worse prepped persons gear. Then everyone gets together for a weekend of survival with the gear from the pics. Super fun game until you get the text while having a shower and end up spending the weekend with a lighter, keys and a iPhone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    This sounds like a great time. I may have to scoop the idea and plan an outing like this up here in Canada. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast